Why is HDR washed out only in 4K, 120hz & HDR [Series X]

Discus and support Why is HDR washed out only in 4K, 120hz & HDR [Series X] in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi community, As the title says I have a washed out issue on my Xbox Series X using; 4K, 120hz and HDR - if I choose 4K, 60 and HDR it works fine. And... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by MarkCleg, Aug 12, 2022.

1. MarkCleg
    MarkCleg Guest

Hi community,

As the title says I have a washed out issue on my Xbox Series X using; 4K, 120hz and HDR - if I choose 4K, 60 and HDR it works fine. And if I choose 4K and 120hz with no HDR it works - only when HDR is introduced with 4K and 120hz it seemingly breaks.

The monitor I'm using is a recently released Sony Inzone M9 which is a HDMI 2.1 compatible monitor, it should just work but unfortunately it seems I can't with my Series X. I'm unsure if it's a monitor or Xbox issue at this point.

Long story short I've tried all sorts of setting combinations, resetting the monitor, Xbox, different system toggles in the video settings in the monitor and console. Changed the stock HDMI cable to known working ones which are 2.1 compliant - no dice. I've spent about two days on and off troubleshooting to no solution and I will have to give up at this point for my own sanity.

What happens;

I'll start up a game and it'll launch fine with the settings but after a certain amount of time (less than hour roughly) the input changes (black screen briefly) to SDR as if the input was changed and it appears washed out/grey. I can temporarily fix this by going to the home screen and back to the game but I shouldn't have to do this plus it eventually happens again anyway.

My PS5 works perfectly with this monitor with everything, the auto HDR tone mapping the monitor does only works with the PS5 and has no impact on any other device. I thought that could be the issue but it's not. The M9 is primarily a PC gaming monitor so I'd assume it'd be fully compliant with a Microsoft Windows/Xbox Series console HDR configuration, so I'm truly at a loss here

If anyone has any ideas, experiences or knowledge about this please let me know. Otherwise I'll have to retire this idea for the foreseeable future.

Thanks in advance.

:)

MarkCleg, Aug 12, 2022
  2. MarkCleg Win User

I'm not surprised honestly but at least you can now get something that'll work, you're welcome. All the best.
  3. MarkCleg Win User

Hopefully that did work -- I had two occasions where it was fine for 3-4 hours continuously then it would it would drop input with the grey filter.

As much as I liked the monitor the QC on them is horrendous.
  4. D3M0NSLYR114 Win User

I’m currently going through the exact problems as you are or did. I’m going to give what you said about the hdmi-cec options a try. I’m hoping it works for me. I just got the inzone m9 monitor today and I wish I did more research about it. Great monitor but the black screen then a color washed picture out of no where is very annoying. I’d like to know if you’ve permanently fixed the issues you were dealing with! Also when selecting HDR in video modes is it better to select auto hdr or hdr10, or both? Thank you in advance
  5. MarkCleg Win User

It's capped at 120hz over HDMI anyway so it shouldn't be an issue. Unless I go via DP then I could access 144hz so that's irrelevant. I really don't understand what your response is about and the firmware is up to date.

I can do 4K/120hz without HDR fine, I can do 4K/60hz with HDR fine but it seemingly doesn't work doing 4K/120hz/HDR which points to it being an Xbox issue.

I can do 4K/120hz/HDR on my PS5. The PS5 supports standard VESA resolutions and refresh rates over HDMI so I feel the blame is being shifted here.
  6. MarkCleg Win User

The only reason I haven't contacted Sony first was because my PS5 has been perfectly fine with the monitor which follows the same VESA standards as Xbox does. So it never occurred to me to ask them for help.

I have a BenQ Mobiuz EX2510,1080p/144hz/HDR monitor I was using previously but that's it so I'm unsure if that would help?
Thema:

1. Why is HDR washed out only in 4K, 120hz & HDR [Series X] - Similar Threads - Why HDR washed

2. why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in: Why does everytime i try to log onto my xbox account on xbox.com and i put my password it says hang on a moment while we sign in and it wont let me sign in please im desperate i talked to support...
  3. Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...: For some reason when ever i try to download my call of duty black ops games they don’t wanna download on my external storage they download to my xbox but not my external storage all my other games...
  4. Why doesn't xbox open up third-party memory cards, official ones are too expensive

in XboX Insiders
    Why doesn't xbox open up third-party memory cards, official ones are too expensive: 为什么xbox不开放第三方存储卡,官方存储卡太贵了。PS可以使用任何SSD,深受游戏玩家的好评。 submitted by /u/Sure_Government_4353 [link] [comments]
  5. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  6. Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why are all threads in regards to 4K HDR 120Hz and Dolby Atmos cutouts all locked?: Here's an example of one that's locked that I chimed in on. Over 16,000 people viewed and you STILL haven't acknowledged or resolved the issue. Which is ****....
  7. Why can I not watch an hdr YouTube video at 4k on my Xbox 1 S?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can I not watch an hdr YouTube video at 4k on my Xbox 1 S?: I recently got a 4k tv and have been using it with my xbox 1 S and I was wanted to watch some hdr video on it. I noticed that on youtube, I can't select an hdr video resolution of more than 1440p....
  8. Why xbox not support 1440p+HDR

in XBoX on Windows
    Why xbox not support 1440p+HDR: Hello, playstation 5 support 1440p+HDR....... xbox not - WHY ? 37fb986e-7df8-40a1-9f41-8e494fe8199b
  9. Why is HDR not working on my new XBox Series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is HDR not working on my new XBox Series X: I recently got an XBox Series X. Every time I go through the Calibrate for HDR for games process, it will turn HDR on while the calibration is going on, then as soon as it is done, it turns right...
  10. Why is the new UI not HDR, it’s quite annoying almost 3 years in.

in XboX Insiders
    Why is the new UI not HDR, it’s quite annoying almost 3 years in.: At this point i’m wondering if there is a technical issue for the UI not being in HDR, it’s so annoying when the screen goes black for 1-2 seconds while it changes back to SDR, Do you guys...