Why has Microsoft edge stopped

Discus and support Why has Microsoft edge stopped in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I'm on a Xbox 1 Microsoft edge stopped working today I can't search anything use my A button or even see my cursor when in the app but when I leave... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Shaggy Sasquatch, May 3, 2024.

1. Why has Microsoft edge stopped

I'm on a Xbox 1 Microsoft edge stopped working today I can't search anything use my A button or even see my cursor when in the app but when I leave everything

The following buttons work Y for search but no keyboard appears left and right bumper to switch tabs left stick up and down on page

What's not working

keyboard

Cursor (to select websites and type)

A button

Again everything works outside of Microsoft edge only happening in Microsoft edge on Xbox

******Moved from Microsoft Edge / All other issues / Previous Windows versions******

:)

Shaggy Sasquatch, May 3, 2024
  2. ENRGY3 Win User

Hello, Shaggy! Thank you for choosing XBOX support forums. I am an Xbox Ambasador and I am pleased to assist you today.

More often than not, Microsoft Edge not responding has nothing to do with the browser itself. It comes down to external issues, such as too many open tabs, unused extensions or a lack of computing resources. Other possible issues that could cause Microsoft Edge to freeze include a corrupted cache and using an outdated version of the browser. We’ll go through a list of possible bug fixes to the “Microsoft Edge not responding” error. To breeze through the troubleshooting, start from the first and easiest step and move to the next, more advanced one if that doesn’t work.

1. Close Unused Tabs

Running too many tabs or windows at once often takes up so many system resources that it prevents Edge from functioning properly. If Edge has stopped responding, try closing the tabs you’re not currently using, especially ones running complex animations or web apps.

2. Restart Edge

Most of the time, fixing the problem may be as simple as restarting Edge. While you can easily close Edge by clicking the “X” button at the top-right corner, that doesn’t always work. An alternative method is to force-close Edge.

Press “control + shift + esc” on your keyboard to open the “processes” tabs. Locate the “apps” section at the top of the tab and right-click on the Microsoft Edge app. From the context menu that pops up, select “end task.” This will automatically close Edge. To relaunch Edge, click Microsoft Edge in your “start” menu.

3. Try Another Browser

Sometimes the problem may be associated with a particular website rather than Microsoft Edge itself. In such cases, test the website on another browser, like Google Chrome. If the website does not work on the other browsers, you can be reasonably sure that Edge is not the problem.

4. Clear Edge’s Cache

When cached data accumulates in a browser, it sometimes becomes corrupted and affects the browser’s performance. You can boost performance by clearing the cache of data. The method of clearing the Edge cache differs slightly across different operating systems. In this guide, we’ll focus on clearing the Edge cache on Windows 11.

Open Microsoft Edge on your device. Click the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen and select “settings.” On the “settings” page, select “privacy, search and services” located in the sidebar menu. Scroll down until you see “clear browsing data” and then select “choose what to clear” next to “clear browsing data now.” A context menu will appear, giving you the option to choose a time range for the data you want to clear.

Select “all time” and uncheck all the data categories except “cached images and files.” Then click “clear now” to clear the cached data.

5. Disable Microsoft Edge Extensions

Not all installed extensions are compatible with Microsoft Edge. Disabling all your active extensions one after the other is a great way to troubleshoot an unresponsive Edge browser.

Open the Microsoft Edge browser and click the three dots at the top right-corner of Edge’s homepage. Select “extensions” from the list of options on the context menu. This will open the tab containing all the installed extensions on your device. All the installed extensions that are active will have blue toggle switches, while the inactive ones will have gray toggle switches.

Disable the active extensions one at a time, then test Microsoft Edge after you disable each one. If disabling an extension fixes the error, remove the extension by clicking “remove” below its name.

6. Check for Updates

Failing to update Microsoft Edge regularly can affect its performance over time. Launch Microsoft Edge and click the three dots located at the top-right corner of the screen. Select “settings” from the list of options on the context menu, then click “about Microsoft Edge” on the side navigation menu on the left-hand side of the screen.

If an update is available, click “download and install” to get the update running. When the update is complete, click “restart.”

7. Close Other Applications

When one or more programs are running at the same time as Microsoft Edge, it may put a strain on computing resources like CPU and RAM and stop Edge from running correctly. Try closing other applications and see if this fixes the issue.

Open your computer’s task manager by pressing “control + shift + esc” at the same time on your keyboard. On the processes tab, go through the list of applications as well as the resources they are using. If any application appears to be using too many resources, save your work in that app and close it. If the app won’t close, right-click on it and select “end task.”

8. Install Windows Updates

Windows updates boost Edge’s performance, leading to a better browsing experience. When these updates are not installed, Edge may start to freeze, run slower or stop responding completely. To rule out this problem, check to see if a Windows update is available and install it if need be.

Press the Windows key on your keyboard to open the Windows menu. Select “settings” from the array of programs. If you’re a Windows 11 user, click “windows update” on the navigation menu on the left-hand side. On Windows 10, click “update & security,” then select “Windows update.”

You’ll see a list of the updates. On this list, you can see which ones are downloading or installing and which ones are yet to be installed. If an update is downloading or installing, wait for it to finish, then restart your device. If there’s an update yet to be downloaded, follow the on-screen instructions to download and install it, and then restart your device.

9. Repair the Edge Browser

Windows makes it possible for you to repair the Edge browser, which involves checking for any damaged, broken or missing files. Fixing a faulty file can get Microsoft Edge functioning normally again.

Make sure Microsoft Edge is closed before following this step. Press the Windows key on your keyboard and click “settings” on the start menu. Click “apps” on the navigation menu at the left-hand side of the screen. On Windows 10, select “apps & features,” then select “Microsoft Edge” and click “modify.” For Windows 11, select “installed apps,” click the three dots beside Microsoft Edge and then click “modify.”

Next, click “yes,” click “repair” and follow the on-screen instructions.

10. Reset Edge’s Settings

This is a more advanced step that can be done when you’ve exhausted most of your options. When you reset Microsoft Edge to its default state, you also reset the browser preferences you’ve set for your homepage, search engine and startup pages. Additionally, a reset clears your cached data, installed extensions, cookies and browsing history.

Launch Edge and click the three dots at the top-right corner of the screen. Select “settings” from the context menu. On the settings page, click “reset settings” at the navigation menu on the left-hand side. Click “restore settings to their default values.” Click “reset” to confirm that you’d like to reset Edge.

I hope this answered your question! If it did, please give make this an answer!
  3. OaklandSideshow Win User

Premium Gold Jumbo & Gold Players Premium

why are there still reports of this happening? why isn't Microsoft doing anything to stop this? I understand the official stance of Microsoft is that it is the user's fault, however there has to be steps that Microsoft can take to stop this from occurring.
  4. ThomasWiggers Win User

Having Log In Trouble For Microsoft Flight Insider Program

I managed to get a reply from Microsoft flight simulator after asking the question.

They say to delete your cookies and use Microsoft edge. This totally worked for me. Give it a go?
    Hahaha! Look back at my original post. :) Edge has always worked! Its just that Edge isn’t the only browser out there, and frankly, I don’t like Edge. Microsoft’s excuse is ALWAYS: only use our stuff. Thats why they maintain the monopoly. My point is:
    their products should have maximum compatibility, if they are going to be sold world wide.
  5. Galactic Geek Win User

Dedicated Servers

But it would give them the best network anywhere in the U.S. and that's one heck of an edge to have. Besides, they've already started heading in that direction - why stop at 300,000?
  6. ngocphi Win User

Cannot click on "Reputation"

If you are using chrome.thatnwouldmbe why it has to be ie edge firefox etc
Thema:

1. Why has Microsoft edge stopped - Similar Threads - Why has Microsoft

2. Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?: I have bought my Xbox Series X a few months after it dropped… ive been through atleast 7 controllers and they are not cheap. My new pink one (which i LOVE just started with stick drift. It takes...
  3. Why cant i stream on my xbox one X? I have contacted Twitch they said it has to do with...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why cant i stream on my xbox one X? I have contacted Twitch they said it has to do with...: I can't stream on my xbox one X, I have tried to logging out of my twitch and my xbox account on my xbox, it didn't work 97eeeb71-4d6c-46f5-8043-5867f8452a39
  4. Why do I get sign in status has changed or you must be signed into Xbox Live While I am...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I get sign in status has changed or you must be signed into Xbox Live While I am...: Why do I get sign-in status has changed or you must be signed in to Xbox Live While I am playing a game 9be15736-d615-41de-b546-eca9f54c24a9
  5. Why has my gamerscore been reducted?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my gamerscore been reducted?: My gamerscore has gone down for some reason and I'm not sure why. 69190dc1-6245-4507-a02c-2375e46eb6a5
  6. Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has my HDR stopped working just overnight when nothing has changed?: Curious as to why my HDR has seemed to just quit out of nowhere. When starting up any game, the screen washes out and becomes overly dim. Nothing in my TV settings or series x settings has...
  7. my sons account has been banned why ?

in XBoX on Windows
    my sons account has been banned why ?: hello i wanted to ask a question on here my son is 10 and made a looking for group post on a game and was tryna play with people around his age and he has been suspended and will be unsuspended 5...
  8. Why has Solitaire & Casual Games/Microsoft Solitaire Collection started crashing at launch?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why has Solitaire & Casual Games/Microsoft Solitaire Collection started crashing at launch?: I have been playing Microsoft Solitaire Collection (now known as Solitaire and Casual Games) for several years, first on my Windows 10 computer, and since this spring on my current Windows 11...
  9. why has my microsoft weekly rewards reset

in XBoX on Windows
    why has my microsoft weekly rewards reset: hi dont know if any one can help or anyone else had this problem my weekly rewards has reset and it shouldnt have as i havent missed any week and had a big streak going can any one help or have i...
  10. Does anyone know why my Roblox that I downloaded from the Microsoft Store has the buttons...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Does anyone know why my Roblox that I downloaded from the Microsoft Store has the buttons...: This makes it difficult for me to play because many buttons are not configured correctly for their respective keys. I investigated, and I did not find any information on the problem, also, I...