Why doesn’t my series s let me extract audio from HDMI

Discus and support Why doesn’t my series s let me extract audio from HDMI in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My One X crapped out on me, it had the optical port that I used to hook up to my Bose speaker. I just got the Series s and notice it doesn’t have an... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by horoktorok, Jul 25, 2023.

1. horoktorok
    horoktorok Guest

My One X crapped out on me, it had the optical port that I used to hook up to my Bose speaker. I just got the Series s and notice it doesn’t have an optical port. So i ordered an HDMI/optical converter audio extractor. Hook everything up and it doesn’t work. Try running optical directly from TV to the speaker, and still no audio (audio from Cable box to speaker works though)

Did Microsoft make it so we can’t extract audio or is there a proprietary piece of hardware I need to make this work?

:)

horoktorok, Jul 25, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Hello horoktorok,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I can see that you are having trouble with the audio output from your Series S console. I understand that you have tried using an HDMI/optical converter audio extractor and running the optical cable directly from the TV to the speaker, but neither option worked. Here are some possible steps you can take to troubleshoot this issue:

- Check the audio settings on your Series S console and make sure they are compatible with your speaker. You can do this by going to Settings > General > Volume & audio output > HDMI audio or Optical audio and selecting the appropriate format (such as Bitstream out or Stereo uncompressed).

- Check the audio settings on your TV and make sure they are not interfering with the optical output. You can do this by going to your TV's menu and looking for options such as Audio out, Digital audio out, or SPDIF out and selecting the appropriate format (such as PCM or Dolby Digital).

- Try using a different HDMI cable or optical cable and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes a faulty or incompatible cable can cause audio issues.

- Try using a different HDMI port on your TV or a different optical port on your speaker and see if that helps. Sometimes a port can be damaged or malfunctioning and affect the audio signal.

- Try resetting your Series S console and your speaker by unplugging them from the power source for 10 seconds and then plugging them back in. This can sometimes resolve minor glitches or conflicts.

Please see: Troubleshoot audio on your Xbox console | Xbox Support / Choosing speaker audio settings on your Xbox console | Xbox Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  4. gregkeppeler Win User

Xbox Series X - I can no longer turn off hdmi audio since installing the september update

I have almost the same problem except the error message says

“if you’re using Xbox series X/S, note that HDMI audio can’t be turned off. In other consoles, either optical or HDMI audio must be on. (0x80bd0009)

Why can’t I turn off hdmi audio on Xbox series x it makes no sense?
  5. wes baker1 Win User

Why won’t it run 120 hertz

I do not have an option to go to 120 hz it will let me do 1080p but doesn’t give the option to go to 120 hz but looking now it has a hdmi 1.4 will that run 120 hz and if I didn’t get it to work will a hdmi to display port connector run 120hz with the the series s
  6. Bruno Ferreira Marti Win User

Xbox Series S has three USB ports, and none of them allows audio systems to be connected. Why?

I don't see this decision from the whole industry. USB and Bluetooth are also universal industry standards for carrying audio data and this is not present in the console (only in licensed products). No console or computer is capable of using the entire data bandwidth for audio on an HDMI, the USB 3.0 capability is perfectly capable, otherwise Sony would not allow this on the PS5, or I would have audio performance drop when using my computer's USB.

HDMI audio solutions are still expensive, a good quality soundbar or receiver that uses HDMI audio can cost half the value of the Series S itself, if not more. And that is why we don't find it in cheaper or older DACs.

You see, I love my Series S, for me it is the best console of the generation, it is cheap and capable of excellent performance. The Series S + Game Pass is the perfect combination for those who do not have much money can access the generation. But I would like to be able to use what I already have at home, my everyday usb headset at least. That is ensuring accessibility. The headphone jack on the gamepad is limited in quality, further reducing the options for audio.

Anyway, limiting the use of the USB ports is the only problem I face with my Series S and I would really like to see Microsoft do something about it.

Thanks!
Thema:

1. Why doesn’t my series s let me extract audio from HDMI - Similar Threads - Why doesn’t series

2. Why doesn’t my Xbox series s connect to xfinity wifi I tried to login and it doesn’t allow...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn’t my Xbox series s connect to xfinity wifi I tried to login and it doesn’t allow...: I dont understand why my Xbox won’t connect to my via network 0540cb0c-6d58-4834-b2ea-cf0f37fd08f3
  3. Hall of Champions Reset, Why doesn’t it reset?

in XboX Insiders
    Hall of Champions Reset, Why doesn’t it reset?: Am I missing something or are others experiencing this I’m being told to reset my rank as I’m past 17 but it’s not coming up to let me reset Thanks submitted by /u/SoftwareJolly4159 [link]...
  4. My Xbox doesn’t connect to the internet, and I don’t know why

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox doesn’t connect to the internet, and I don’t know why: My Xbox Series S isn’t connecting to my Ethernet, it’s is saying That the service is unavailable, but every time I connect to a computer it’s working. I tried wireless connection but its connects...
  5. Why have I been granted a refund, but on my purchase page it doesn’t come up as refunded?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why have I been granted a refund, but on my purchase page it doesn’t come up as refunded?: It’s been nearly a month since I was granted a refund and I am owed just over £60. I have asked these types of questions before, but no one has helped. I need a one on one conversation on how I...
  6. Why doesn’t my java code work when i put it in?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why doesn’t my java code work when i put it in?: So My friend got a Gift card for christmas. He was putting it in but it kept saying that it was invalid or someone already claimed it even though it was brand new. Can someone help me with this...
  7. Why doesn’t my mic work on my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why doesn’t my mic work on my wired controller?: My parents bought me a Xbox certificated wired controller for Christmas,i was excited to get on the get game and talk to my friends. I plugged my mic port in and started to talk but my mic was...
  8. Why doesn’t my friend have the game I gifted him?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why doesn’t my friend have the game I gifted him?: I recently gifted the dark pictures little hope(game) to my friend so we could play together but it seems he hasn’t received it. I’m just curious because last time I did this he was able to...
  9. Purchased THPS upgrade dlc, why doesn’t Series S|X version show in my Library? Same goes...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Purchased THPS upgrade dlc, why doesn’t Series S|X version show in my Library? Same goes...: As question states, I purchased the Series S|X upgrade dlc for THPS and The Outer Worlds, but the Series S|X versions do not show in my Library. I’m required to endlessly search the MS Store to...
  10. Why doesn’t the Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare add on work on Xbox Series S?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why doesn’t the Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare add on work on Xbox Series S?: I have Red Dead Redemption on my xbox series s which I bought a couple month back. Today I saw the undead nightmare add on was on sale so I bought it. The problem is once it was done downloading,...