Why does Xbox game bar mute audio when I start a recording?

Discus and support Why does Xbox game bar mute audio when I start a recording? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; When I open Xbox Game bar it never remembers which device I set for default output or input device on either the Mix or Voice tab. When I record a clip... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Damon Gladson, Dec 18, 2023.

1. Why does Xbox game bar mute audio when I start a recording?

When I open Xbox Game bar it never remembers which device I set for default output or input device on either the Mix or Voice tab. When I record a clip or Start a recording it auto mutes and I'm unable to unmute. Game audio nor mic audio is being recorded. I've repaired the app, deleted it and re-installed it multiple times. I've disabled it and reset the app...Nothing. It's starting to get pretty frustrating. Usually I do my own research and fix it, but I'm 3 months in and still can't find the source of the issue. I've been to regedit and set the capture audio to 1 and still nothing. I'm using a SteelSeries Arctis x7 with sonar disabled. I'm clueless. The "more settings" option is missing in the voice tab, and in the mix tab it only has one option for windows default output but doesn't allow me to change the volume of the output. "system sounds" Is also absent and there is no option to adjust the volume there either.

:)

Damon Gladson, Dec 18, 2023
  2. MarvinaPerez Win User

Hello Damon,my name is Marvina, I will be happy to help you with your problem.

Based on the information you have provided, the problem may be related to the following factors:

Your audio input and output devices. Make sure your audio input and output devices are configured correctly in Windows Settings.

You can do this by opening the Control Panel and selecting "Sound." In the "Playback" tab, select your default output device and click "Properties."

On the "General" tab, make sure the "Disable" box is unchecked. In the "Recording" tab, select your default input device and click "Properties." On the "General" tab, make sure the "Disable" box is unchecked.

The Xbox Game Bar settings. Make sure your Xbox Game Bar settings are correct. You can open the Xbox Game Bar by pressing Windows key + G. In the "Mixes" tab, make sure Capture Audio is set to "1."

In the "Voice" tab, make sure the microphone is on and the volume is set correctly.

The drivers for your audio devices. Make sure your audio device drivers are up to date.

You can download the latest drivers from your device manufacturer's website.

Source: https://support.xbox.com/help/frien...re-socialize/troubleshoot-party-audio-windows

These are basic solutions to these problems, but they can lead to a solution, remember that this is a public forum where we are players like you who want to help, good luck and happy day.

Sincerely,
    Marvina.
  3. brightdowned Win User

xbox game bar not picking up audio from microphone

I don't have any other microphones to test with unfortunately, I'm using the mic on my headset. Reinstalling the game bar made no difference either.

I checked through the capture settings and it only seems to mute me when the "audio to record" is set to "all" ( i.e game audio, microphone, all other apps ), but not when it's set to "game" ( game audio + mic ). But the issue with this setting is that I want my discord calls / party members to be heard in the clips and recordings too. So I'm very much at a loss :(
  4. XBF Brad A Win User

Game Bar Does Not Record my voice during party chat

Hi Mbathula,

Thanks for coming to the forums with your question. With recording your voice it will not do this through the game bar itself. You either have to do it through the Xbox companion app or have a capture card. As this guide for

setting up streaming windows 10
    shows it will only record from the Microphone on the PC not the headset.

Recorded audio

Record game play with or without sounds from your game and your microphone, and choose the audio quality.

• To record game sounds with your game clips, turn on Record audio when I record a game.
    • To choose a different audio quality than the default, select the Audio quality box and choose one of the options.
    • To record through your microphone, turn on Record audio when I record a game.
    Thanks,

Brad
  5. Tomáš Bohuněk Win User

Solved: Xbox game bar does not record audio after tabbing out

6. Mae Sev. Win User

How to record Game Bar overlay while recording with Game Bar itself?

Hello AdidasPK,

We appreciate you for sharing this with us and welcome to Xbox Forums.

We understand that you are having trouble recording Game Bar overlay while recording with Game Bar itself. I'll be happy to assist you with this.

To record Game Bar overlay while recording with Game Bar itself, you need to enable the "Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar" option in the Game Bar settings. Here are the steps to do so:

1. Press the Windows key + G to open the Game Bar.

2. Click on the Settings icon (gear icon) on the Game Bar.

3. In the Game Bar settings, make sure that the "Record game clips, screenshots, and broadcast using Game bar" option is turned on.

4. Also, make sure that the "Record audio when I record a game" option is turned on if you want to record audio along with your gameplay.

5. Once you have enabled these settings, you can start recording your gameplay by pressing the Windows key + Alt + R.

Please note that not all games support Game Bar overlay recording. If you are having trouble recording Game Bar overlay while recording with Game Bar itself, it could be due to the game not supporting this feature. You can check the game's display settings to see if there are any options related to Game Bar overlay recording.

Source: Use Xbox game bar to capture game clips and screenshots on windows

I hope this helps. If you have any further questions or concerns, please let me know.

Kind regards,

Microsoft Community Moderator
Thema:

1. Why does Xbox game bar mute audio when I start a recording? - Similar Threads - Why does game

2. Why does my Xbox say I'm in game chat when I'm in party chat

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does my Xbox say I'm in game chat when I'm in party chat: It all started today, I was gonna play L4D2 with my friends when I couldn't hear anyone, my pfp in the party was dark and I couldn't hear anybody. Can someone help please?...
  3. Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?: In attempting to play with Xbox-owning friends, I thought Microsoft would have had a simple, streamlined program for voice chat between P.C. and Xbox users. It doesn't seem like that's the case....
  4. Why does my Xbox freeze after installing a game?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does my Xbox freeze after installing a game?: I have an Xbox One S and I downloaded a game yesterday. It was queued up for installation before I turned off the Xbox. Now, when I try to start anything, an error pops up saying the app was...
  5. Why does this keep happening to my ASUS gaming A15?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does this keep happening to my ASUS gaming A15?: The laptop screen is always extremely dimmed whenever I turn on my ASUS Gaming A15. No matter what I do the screen always remains very dark. But when I reboot the laptop a few times by holding the...
  6. Why does my game have internet connection but says that the Xbox live core services is...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my game have internet connection but says that the Xbox live core services is...: *** Die E-Mail-Adresse wurde aus Datenschutzgründen entfernt. *** c44a4a17-ad3e-499f-9b92-315fa79d69e5
  7. Why does my xbox series x Green screen and then crash mid game?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my xbox series x Green screen and then crash mid game?: Everytime i game my console freezes, hoes to a green screen and then crashes. Any idea why this is happening? It isn’t just one game it happens on call of duty & Fortnite. Started happening...
  8. why cant I queue into a game, and why does gamepass keep popping up and can someone fix this

in XBoX Accessibility
    why cant I queue into a game, and why does gamepass keep popping up and can someone fix this: I previously had the Xbox one s, but yesterday bought the Xbox series s as an upgrade to be able to play ncaa football coming out in July. My issue is that I can no longer play rainbow six siege...
  9. why does my xbox one s take too long to boot and all my games keep crashing

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox one s take too long to boot and all my games keep crashing: My grandparents bought me an xbox one s and its 2024, the console's time to boot up is over 3 minutes and when it does is brings me to a black screen. Iv'e tried all of the methods and non of...
  10. Why does the Xbox game bar not let me talk to my friends in a party.

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox game bar not let me talk to my friends in a party.: I'm not able to talk to my friends in a party chat while I'm on computer It pops up a message that states this "Background apps permissions for Xbox are turned off. Other may not be able to hear...