Why does XBOX App on PC require 4k cluster size?

Discus and support Why does XBOX App on PC require 4k cluster size? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Split from this thread. Data sheet from manufacturer state 512e Sector Size (Bytes per Second) 5124Kn Sector Size (Bytes per Second)4096 My HDD... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by SirionPavanelli, Oct 22, 2023.

1. Why does XBOX App on PC require 4k cluster size?

Data sheet from manufacturer state

[table][tr]512e Sector Size (Bytes per Second) [td]512[/td][/tr][tr]4Kn Sector Size (Bytes per Second)[td]4096[/td][/tr][/table]

My HDD is formatted as NTFS and I have tried both Default and manually set to allocation size (when formatting it) to 4096.

Despite that, Xbox app (GamePass PC) still show the following error.

E: - This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. The NTFS drive requires a maximum sector size of 4k.

Unless this does NOT have anything to do with the Allocation Size when formatting I’m not sure how to fix it natively, without “multiple” partitions

:)

SirionPavanelli, Oct 22, 2023
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hello RyanM74,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

The reason why the Xbox app on PC requires a maximum cluster size of 4k is due to the way the app is designed to work with the NTFS file system. This is a requirement for the app to function properly and ensure that game installations and updates are successful. The app does not force file compression, but it does require a specific cluster size for optimal performance. Unfortunately, there is no way to override this requirement within the app. However, you can try using a different drive with a 4k cluster size or using the virtual disk file workaround you mentioned.

Let me know if you have other questions.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Kathy A. Win User

Hello SirionPavanelli,

Thanks for the reply.

To ensure we would address your concern, please check the details below:

Since I already have data inside that HDD, it would require a bit of time to follow your steps and I don't mind doing it, however, I believe it will not work.

Since formatting your current drive is not the best option for you right now. Another thing we can try is to test with different drive if possible or if there is one available that is formatted as NTFS already. This is to isolate the issue as something to be related to the drive itself or Xbox app. Should your Xbox app not reading the new hard drive as NTFS then you may need to perform other troubleshooting.

You have NOT commented on my previous post. The following:
    Looking through the link you provided, about. Link:
    Default cluster size for NTFS, FAT, and exFAT - Microsoft Support the only thing that seems odd, or outdated. Is that, at the time there was no higher capacity than 16TB while still under 4K.

Not sure if that was how HDD were made back than(2015) or if it is a limitation to Microsoft side.

I also found this report on Feedback Hub https://aka.ms/AAn5wlw

We appreciate this feedback. We found another support article; however, it is still stating 16TB. As per our previous reply, this has been reported to our Internal Support team. If this requires immediate attention, please reach out to our live support team. You may also vote on the report you found on Feedback Hub too!

So please, don't advise people to just format their drive(or whatever) without checking or addressing their concerns, since it may not help at all and just waste their time.

Thank you for the feedback, we will be more careful about our responses we'll make sure to provide note about back up or transfer of files. We are thinking that you may somehow does not require this as you seem to speak with advance knowledge on storage devices (especially about 16TB being listed on the article).

Regards,

4. SirionPavanelli Win User

You fail again, Continue ? (gameplay screen)

My initial response to that article(from 2015), means I'm ABOVE that mark in which I stated. (>16TB) while still using 4K cluster size/allocation. I also point out the exact same problem on Hub feedback, for Xbox App not recognizing HDD greater than 16TB, on that case, the user was using one of 18TB, but the base problem or limitation is the same, Xbox APP.

I imagined this was how HDD were made back than, since big HDD(lets say 10TB+) was not common in the consumer market, or maybe didn't even existed, one article posted in 2016, showing some information and reliability, which indicates the biggest drivers, at the consumer level, was 8TB.

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-q4-2015/

Now 8 years later, those HDD exist and are easily accessible for the consumers. The limitation clearly is related to the Xbox App,

time to Microsoft catch up,

You let me know when they do.

I appreciate you trying,

Insert more coins to continue.
  5. SirionPavanelli Win User

Where did you get the idea that I would prefer to use 64k cluster size ?
    In all my posts I have said that my HDD is set, or formatted, as NTFS with a 4K cluster size.
  6. SirionPavanelli Win User

Hello ,

Thanks for the quick response.

Can we ask what is the make and model of your HDD that has an issue?

To answer your question, Xbox app should recognize your drive, unless your computer needs restart or if your computer does not recognize the drive itself.

By the way, to make sure we are on the same page, can we also confirm the answer of SwordofWhedon's question? This HDD is meant to be connected to computer or Xbox console?

We look forward to your response.

Regards,
    Kathy A.
    If the only given error is based on format and allocation size, which is already set accordingly with the requirements. I should not need to inform anything else.

Unless the error is more than that and need to be updated to show why it does not comply with the requirements.

I have access to the drive normally, so does other softwares. The problem only happen with the Xbox App. Which was my main objective with this HDD to store my game collection.

Looking through the link you provided, about. Link: Default cluster size for NTFS, FAT, and exFAT - Microsoft Support the only thing that seems odd, or outdated. Is that, at the time there was no higher capacity than 16TB while still under 4K.

Not sure if that was how HDD were made back than(2015) or if it is a limitation to Microsoft side.

A quick search point to HDD today with 24TB of capacity while still inside the 4K bracket.
Thema:

1. Why does XBOX App on PC require 4k cluster size? - Similar Threads - Why does App

2. Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?: My youtube keeps freezing but all my other apps and games are running just fine. I've cleared the saved date. There are no updates. And there are no updates needed for my Xbox....
  3. Why does it say im suspended on the xbox app when im not

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does it say im suspended on the xbox app when im not: Anyone knows why its kinda strange cause i checked my enforcement history and i have no bans for suspensions c2ec7c2f-ab27-490f-8465-8968e521376e
  4. Why does the YouTube app always crash when I try to open it on my 360?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the YouTube app always crash when I try to open it on my 360?: It looks like it’s loading and then automatically a message pops up saying it is unavailable. Not sure what to do. My internet is fine and I have loads of storage on my console. Tried deleting and...
  5. Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?

in XboX Insiders
    Why does my Xbox not have the Xbox app preferences settings?: I have been trying to connect my Xbox One S to the Xbox app for a while now and it just isn't working. Enable remote features is turned on but it still won't connect. When I look in the Remote...
  6. Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller not select apps or options but in games the controller works...: Why does my controller not select apps or options even though I see it responding but in games the controller works perfectly fine? It also keeps sticking to the top of the screen even though I...
  7. Why does my Xbox one overheat when I load up on games but apps don’t thermal throttle

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox one overheat when I load up on games but apps don’t thermal throttle: I had this Xbox one for almost 9 years I cleaned the console and the thermal paste a 6 months ago and it never did this every time I loaded up Fortnite or Any other game the fans go at full speed...
  8. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  9. Why does my Xbox say unauthorized controller in the Xbox accessories app

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox say unauthorized controller in the Xbox accessories app: i purchased a VX Gaming wireless controller. the box says its recommend for xbox s . when i connected the controller an error appears b03a0d38-8c61-4b4d-9d65-e77b16ebbd1f
  10. What is Rise? Why does this app keep on being connected to my account?

in XBoX Accessibility
    What is Rise? Why does this app keep on being connected to my account?: As of the time of this writing I have changed my password hoping that this wouldn't occur again, apparently an app called Rise has been connected to my account for at least 4 times now despite my...