Why does my Xbox One S, cannot read/play game discs. But it can play DVDs / blu-rays no...

Discus and support Why does my Xbox One S, cannot read/play game discs. But it can play DVDs / blu-rays no... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; It can play DVDs with no problem, but cannot read brandnew game disks, that have taken straight out of the box? I do not know if it matters, but my... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Nicole Blair, Oct 6, 2023.

1. Nicole Blair
    Nicole Blair Guest

Why does my Xbox One S, cannot read/play game discs. But it can play DVDs / blu-rays no...

It can play DVDs with no problem, but cannot read brandnew game disks, that have taken straight out of the box?

I do not know if it matters, but my Xbox One S is a Minecraft edition. I'm just including that in the details in case if maybe those were one of the Xbox ones that had trouble the discs... But like I said it has no problem reading a DVD or Blu-ray disc.

It only struggles to read a disk when its a game disk.

I do not know how to fix this problem.

I have had peers tell me to blow a can of air into it (the disk drive)... I do not want to blow a

can of air into the disk drive, only because I googled it, and it said you could potentially make the problem worse, by blowing a can of air into it....

Because the dust or debris could become coated on other parts inside of the Xbox.. if there's anybody who knows more information or correct information about what I can do to help fix this or if it is a problem that is unfixable please let me know.

Thank you all, so much in advanced!!

Nicole

:)

Nicole Blair, Oct 6, 2023
  2. IceStorm III Win User

Will the HD DVD xbox360 drive work on the X1?

[quote user="FullHornet"]It makes absolutely no sense why an Xbox One would play DVDs and Blu-Ray's and not play HD DVDs.[/quote]HD DVD and Blu-ray are formatted differently on the disc. Blu-ray players cannot read HD DVDs and vice versa. The exception being
    multi-format drives designed to read both (I have two).

Beyond the physical inability to read an HD DVD in a Blu-ray drive, there's the issue of software. HDi Interactive Format was the standard used to create HD DVD menus and other content on-disc outside of the actual movie files. Blu-ray uses scripts and Java.
    Unless playback software can understand HDi Interactive Format, HD DVD menus won't work and the disc won't play.

If it was possible for Blu-ray players to play HD DVD, people wouldn't be holding onto HD DVD drives.
  3. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X recognizes no backwards compatible 360-disc / triggers no download

Hi,

Sounds like the laser in your console's Blu-ray drive has a hardware issue.

To test if your Xbox One X has issues reading discs, try playing a DVD movie disc. If can't read DVD movie discs either then your console has a hardware fault.

Note: It must be a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray movie disc.

There are two lasers in the Blu-ray drive, one for reading Blu-ray discs and one for DVD discs. Xbox One games use Blu-ray and the 360 console used a DVD drive.
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

0x8082000c, Can't play Xbox 360 Games

Hi,

Verify that your consoles drive is functioning. Try playing a DVD movie disc, not a Blu-ray disc.

If your console will not play DVD then the drive has hardware fault.

There are two lasers in the blu-ray drive. One for reading DVD and Xbox 360 games and another for Xbox One and Blu-ray discs.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox One X only reads XB1 game dvds

Hi,

The optical drive in the Xbox One is a Blu-ray drive. Xbox One discs are on Blu-ray disc, same as HD Blu-ray movies. Xbox 360 games came on DVD disc.

Oversimplifying my explanation a little, the Xbox One has separate lasers for reading DVD discs than it does for reading Xbox One blu-ray discs.

The laser that is used to read DVD's has failed. This isn't a software issue, it's a hardware one. Unfortunately you can't fix this yourself, you'll need your console repaired. Sorry.
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox 360 discs no longer work on Xbox One X

Hi,

You've said you've tried blu-ray discs and Xbox One discs but have you tried DVD discs?

Xbox 360 games are on DVD and my guess is that DVD won't play either.

The reason why they won't play is that DVD diode for reading these discs has failed. Other discs work because that laser diode is still working.

Try a DVD disc. If it does not work you'll need a repair.
Thema:

1. Why does my Xbox One S, cannot read/play game discs. But it can play DVDs / blu-rays no... - Similar Threads - Why does cannot

2. why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in: Why does everytime i try to log onto my xbox account on xbox.com and i put my password it says hang on a moment while we sign in and it wont let me sign in please im desperate i talked to support...
  3. Why does my Xbox say I'm in game chat when I'm in party chat

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does my Xbox say I'm in game chat when I'm in party chat: It all started today, I was gonna play L4D2 with my friends when I couldn't hear anyone, my pfp in the party was dark and I couldn't hear anybody. Can someone help please?...
  4. why does my xbox series show no wireless network and say that there is a problem with the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox series show no wireless network and say that there is a problem with the...: a moment I reset my xbox and when it said to connect to a wireless network nothing was displayed so I tried to connect it via an ethernet cable it worked but when updating the xbox so that it is...
  5. Why does my Xbox profile have to suck now?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox profile have to suck now?: My avatar hasn't displayed on my profile for months. Xbox changed the way they store items you had in your activity feed as a money grab to get PC users to buy into their Office products,...
  6. Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?: In attempting to play with Xbox-owning friends, I thought Microsoft would have had a simple, streamlined program for voice chat between P.C. and Xbox users. It doesn't seem like that's the case....
  7. why does my xbox gamepass subscription say its active even tho it expired a day ago and...

in XboX Insiders
    why does my xbox gamepass subscription say its active even tho it expired a day ago and...: i tried to redeem a code but it said i have to eait til my gamepass expires submitted by /u/Willing-Gas-9895 [link] [comments]
  8. Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes

in XBoX on Windows
    Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes: Every time I download gta 5 it says download has stopped d4fffb6b-187e-4fb2-a8c6-562ce7b7df53
  9. Why does it say my account cannot access parties on xbox?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does it say my account cannot access parties on xbox?: Exactly what the title says, I checked all my privacy and online safety settings and everything is set to open, I do not have any ban or suspensions currently. 979bf13d-512d-49eb-ae51-fcc3ca1f9b54
  10. Why does my Xbox 360 say "You cannot create a Xbox live account now."?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does my Xbox 360 say "You cannot create a Xbox live account now."?: I cannot create an Xbox live account on my Xbox 360. Did it discontinue? 53ce4768-48f2-4472-9aee-1cb85dbe4554