Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticky sticks if my dead zone is set to max?

Discus and support Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticky sticks if my dead zone is set to max? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticks sticks if my dead zone is set to max? This is something that is recent and has not happen over... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Will Tyrrell, Nov 9, 2023.

1. Will Tyrrell
    Will Tyrrell Guest

Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticky sticks if my dead zone is set to max?

Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticks sticks if my dead zone is set to max? This is something that is recent and has not happen over time. When I go forward on the left stick it stays going forward without me touching anything and the same if I go backwards on my left stick. I have tried to adjust the dead zone in a couple of games but it still continues even if it’s on 95%.

:)

Will Tyrrell, Nov 9, 2023
  2. ruger280 Win User

controller drift

That is strange. I've only ever had stick drift on my old 360 controllers. I don't know if the standard Xbox one controllers have it, but the Xbox Elite controller sticks can be adjusted to have dead zones to avoid drift. Check in the Xbox Accessories
    app if you can adjust it for normal controllers.
    Have my elite controller set up and still drifts. Can't do standard controller. Did notice they drift worse on any COD.
  3. mr olr Win User

Joy stick drifting

If its still under warranty you can get it fixed. If not a short term option in the controller settings is to set a larger dead zone, this helps illuminate the stick drift issue shirt term.
  4. Darkhawk Ninja Win User

controller drift

That is strange. I've only ever had stick drift on my old 360 controllers. I don't know if the standard Xbox one controllers have it, but the Xbox Elite controller sticks can be adjusted to have dead zones to avoid drift. Check in the Xbox Accessories
    app if you can adjust it for normal controllers.
  5. GetOuttaMyTree Win User

Controller Stick Drift every so often.

For those interested in why this can happen...

"Every controller stick has what's called a "dead zone" and that's the area that the controllers position is registered as 0, or no movement.

Over time and with use, the sticks idle position will drift out of the dead zone, an indicator of this is if it seems loose and moves easily, and will seem to move position on it's own because the hardware detects the stick is out of the dead zone."

Explanation courtesy of Conor Bailey on ifixit.com

Discussion on ifixit.com
  6. WUIJIBOBO Win User

Borderlands 3 character continually tracks to the right when I'm trying to be stationary.

What is the fix?
    This sounds like stick drift, if it's only happening on Borderlands 3, then it's likely just a slight amount of stick drift. Have a look in the Borderlands 3 controller settings, and see if you can adjust the 'Dead Zones' for the analogue sticks, that should
    help temporarily.

But ultimately for stick drift, there's no easy/quick fix, because it's a hardware issue and not a software issue. If your controller is still under warranty, then it may be worth looking into whether you can get it repaired/replaced. Otherwise you may need
    to find a third party repair person.
Thema:

1. Why does my controller still have stick drift or sticky sticks if my dead zone is set to max? - Similar Threads - Why does controller

2. Why does my controller blink twice and then shut off?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller blink twice and then shut off?: For the past several hours, my controller has been flashing twice, and then powering itself off—only to do it again a few seconds later. This problem started earlier when the batteries in my...
  3. Why does my controller disconnect when wire is moved up or when it lays on the back

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller disconnect when wire is moved up or when it lays on the back: Whenever I move Xbox cable slightly up it automatically disconnects. I’ve tried 4 different cables that work with anything else but with my Xbox series s controller it works until i lay it on its...
  4. Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?: I have gone through so many Xbox controllers with stick drift it is ridiculous. I purchased the Xbox Series S just to have my controller conveniently get stick drift exactly 1 month after the...
  5. I don't know why my controller does this.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I don't know why my controller does this.: I have an Xbox One with an Xbox One controller, but when I try to use it, it turns my Xbox on but then disconnects. Because of that I have to use it wired. I changed the batteries but that didn't...
  6. Why does my wireless Xbox controller disconnect and reconnect repeatedly on my Chromebook?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my wireless Xbox controller disconnect and reconnect repeatedly on my Chromebook?: So, I recently got a new wireless Xbox controller so I can play Xbox Cloud Gaming when I am not at home. My controller works for all of my compatible devices except my Acer Chromebook (which is...
  7. Why does my Xbox controller keep disconnecting

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox controller keep disconnecting: Why do my Xbox controllers keep disconnecting on my Xbox one but they work fine on my other Xbox’s? I have disconnected and reconnected the controller and changed the batteries, but the controller...
  8. Why does my elite 2 controller only work when i plug it in.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my elite 2 controller only work when i plug it in.: I have an Elite 2 controller but the xbox button turns on and off. It'll be on for up to 5 seconds but none of the buttons work and it flashes really fast as if it connected but automatically...
  9. Why does my controller keep de-syncing

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my controller keep de-syncing: When I'm playing a game it randomly de-syncs for just a few seconds then starts working again normally. It's a brand new controller from the xbox store and sometimes it will go for hours with no...
  10. Why does the right bumper fail on so many Elite 2 controllers?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does the right bumper fail on so many Elite 2 controllers?: Since customer support was unable to help me I figure I would try here before deciding whether or not to buy anymore Xbox hardware. I've had 2 Xbox elite 2 controllers stop working. Both had the...