Why does my controller keep switching players?

Discus and support Why does my controller keep switching players? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an Afterglow Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 10. Every once in a while, it decides to switch to player 4. I've tried unplugging, removing... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by ZePyroFilms, Oct 12, 2018.

1. ZePyroFilms
    ZePyroFilms Guest

I have an Afterglow Xbox 360 wired controller on Windows 10. Every once in a while, it decides to switch to player 4. I've tried unplugging, removing it through Device Manager and nothing works except for a reboot. Is there any way to switch it without rebooting,
    and is there a way to stop it from switching again?

***Moved from Gaming on Windows 10***

:)

ZePyroFilms, Oct 12, 2018
  2. Auhq
    Auhq Guest
    Xbox Dimming

why does my xbox keep dimming on Movies and TV, it happens every 10 minutes to the point i have to switch the controller back on a wiggle the stick to get the picture back. so annoying.

3. Mr Trocity
    Mr Trocity Guest
    Why does my controller keep disconnecting?

I am having that same issue as well. I spent $149 to send the system out for repair after buying another controller and charge and play kit. Only for it to stop working again 6 months later. You think xbox would have said send it back and we will send you
    a brand new one or something but nope. My button to sync the controller does nothing. I can't even play if the controller is connected to the console with a USB cable.

Mr Trocity, Oct 12, 2018
  4. XBF Diego M
    XBF Diego M Guest

Hey ZePyro,

Thank you for reaching out to us!

How many controllers do you have plugged in at the same time? Sometimes if one disconnects, the other will take over. I've also seen third-party controllers like Afterglow come across technical issues like this.

I would suggest first looking over how to
    Troubleshoot your Xbox 360 controller for Windows
    and make sure to go through all of the steps listed there.

I also found a pretty old thread on
    Steam's Community
    site that has quite a lot of feedback on there you can try, but keep in mind it's from 2014 and the operating system being used during that time is outdated but it may help you if you run your games through Steam.

Let us know the results of your troubleshooting.

XBF Diego M, Oct 13, 2018
  5. ZePyroFilms
    ZePyroFilms Guest
    1. One controller, I've never had more plugged in to my computer

2. Someone on that Steam forum recommended logging off and back on. This works as a soft reset and is
    better than a full reboot, but I do still have to reopen my programs.

This is faster, and I'm glad you showed me this, but if there is an even better way to fix the problem, I'd love to know.

ZePyroFilms, Oct 13, 2018
  6. XBF Diego M
    XBF Diego M Guest
    Hey ZePyro,

I'm glad we could help out a little bit, I would suggest to look over that Xbox 360 controller troubleshooter I posted above for any helpful information and we will do our best to look out for a better solution to this issue.

For troubleshooting purpose I would suggest if at all possible to maybe borrow a 360 controller from a friend and see if it's doing the same thing. That at least will help us narrow down the issue.

XBF Diego M, Nov 5, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: