Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows?

Discus and support Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows? in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows? My daughter just bought Minecraft for Windows so she can play with... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by whywolfNOTwherewolf, Jan 18, 2022.

1. Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows?

Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows?

My daughter just bought Minecraft for Windows so she can play with her cousin who plays on XBox. I let her buy it with my credit card and pay me back. As I was going through the prompts for buying it, I kept expecting it to show me what the final price would be. It kept just saying 26.99 + applicable taxes. I got all the way through actually purchasing it and it never once told me what the final price was! Never in my life have I seen an online purchase do this - let alone one of the most esteemed companies in the world. You should ABSOLUTELY be able to see the final price when buying something before they actually charge you. So essentially, this is now an unauthorized purchase because the amount they actually charged me, I did not authorize. You can't just charge someone $XX.XX + "Some unknown amount that we won't tell you heh heh" - what is this trash? Microsoft, how do you explain this shady behavior? Why is every other company online able to show you the final price but you still haven't figured that part out? When can we expect a fix for this? The only appropriate answer here is "immediately" btw.

Also, you don't have any appropriate categories for me to post this in so I'm trying 'Windows.' Kindly consider adding an 'Other' option like most reasonable humans.

:)

whywolfNOTwherewolf, Jan 18, 2022
  2. DeathOfThree Win User

I definitely agree with your reasoning and microsoft should definitely give the full total amount, the “+ applicable taxes” i believe is there since it depends on where you live to have more or less in specified tax payments, but they have a great/expansive company that should be able to realize that many people wouldn't like to make sketchy purchases .
  3. XBF John Win User

Hey there,

Just to make sure this thread stays relevant, I have full intent to reply to your post, I am simply waiting for a reply from my teams so that I may give a fully comprehensive answer to your sentiment expressed here. I appreciate any patience you afford me here.

Best Regards,

4. whywolfNOTwherewolf Win User

Hi,

Thanks for the lengthy reply, I really do appreciate it.

It wouldn't be as big of a deal if the taxes ended up being 0 (they weren't). Though even then, they should just not show '+ applicable taxes'. Every other place I've purchased from online has figured this out - even the small businesses - there's no reason Microsoft/Minecraft can't also.

Truth be told, while I was going through the purchasing process for 'minecraft for windows 10', I kept expecting that the "+ applicable taxes" would either turn into an actual number, or be removed altogether if there weren't any taxes. When I had made it all the way through the 'you've actually been charged for the product now' stage and the tax still hadn't been turned into a number, I was hoping that it meant there was 0 tax, but feared that there had been tax and they just hadn't told us how much it was. When I checked my order history on the Microsoft site, I found that there had indeed been tax. The final amount charged was 29.51. The amount before tax was 26.99, so there was 2.52 charged in tax.

While this might seem silly to complain about such a small amount, my primary objections are:

• It's the principle of the thing. We were charged an amount of extra money that was not disclaimed until after the fact. I don't care if it's $0.01 or $100 - this is wrong and just shady business.
    • When you click the next button during the ordering process, hoping the next screen will show the actual total amount, there's no indication of which screen is final, especially when they never tell you the total amount; none of the screens seem truly final without that important information. The expectation is that the final screen, the final confirm/purchase/next button will tell you the total amount to be charged. But it never does. It's misleading and just poor UX to boot.
    • This behavior sets a dangerous precedent. Imagine the collective trouble society will get into if it becomes commonplace for reputable businesses to not advertise what the extra costs are. If companies stop showing the shipping cost. Handling cost. Taxes. Other fees. Before you know it, it becomes a device by which to reap extra profits from the consumer. Microsoft should be a leader in the tech industry - it us shameful for such a reputable successful company to have such poor user experience.
    • I could have not had enough in the account used to pay for the full price. Imagine I had used a debit card linked to a side account I only use for entertainment expenditures (I actually did used to do this to help manage my finances). Imagine I had transferred $27 into said account for the purpose of purchasing minecraft. Imagine I had overdraft protection enabled. The charge would execute, and my account would be put into the negatives, resulting in a $30 overdraft fee. All because Microsoft didn't want to take the time to do what every other decent online business does and show the final amount, in clarity, and with no obfuscation.
    • Lastly, the purchase was actually on behalf of my daughter. We try to teach our kids about managing their money and how to set goals and save for what they want. We were not able to determine the taxes for the purchase beforehand and with other users such as yourself saying they paid no tax for minecraft, we were hoping that "+ applicable taxes" would end up translating to $0. She saved up the $26.99 and I helped her make the purchase online. What was I supposed to tell her when we found out that one of the worlds foremost tech companies charged her an amount of money that they had not disclaimed to us beforehand? She was heartbroken and admitted to feeling like she had been tricked into paying more than was disclaimed. This isn't just an empty rant. This is a plea for Microsoft to change. For all our sakes.
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

The payment system doesn’t check your address until it’s creating the transaction with your credit card company. Your state/municipality have their own sales taxes you can easily look up. For example in my state it’s 6%, so just multiply the price by 1.06 and you get the final price
  6. XBF John Win User

Hello,

For transparency I have moved your thread to the proper category.

To be clear, had an initial post, but after looking into some details I have changed it. If you were charged more than 26.99 USD for Minecraft and it shows in your order history at account.microsoft.com/orders, you do have the right to request a refund if you'd like. If you would like to request a refund you can do so here: http://xbox.com/refund.

You are correct, I did purchase a game to see if this occurred and it does say Price + Applicable taxes. However, on my end I do not live in a location that charges for digital products and services. So, what information I had here earlier is no longer relevant and does not solve your issue.

[​IMG]

I did some additional research on states that have taxes on digital goods. They are:

• Alabama
    • Arizona
    • Arkansas
    • Colorado
    • Connecticut
    • Florida
    • Hawaii
    • Idaho
    • Indiana
    • Iowa
    • Kentucky
    • Louisiana
    • Maine
    • Minnesota
    • Mississippi
    • Nebraska
    • New Jersey
    • New Mexico
    • North Carolina
    • Ohio
    • Pennsylvania
    • Rhode Island
    • South Dakota
    • Tennessee
    • Texas
    • Utah
    • Vermont
    • Washington
    • Wisconsin
    • Wyoming
    • Washinton DC
    I personally don't live in any of these states, so I cannot truthfully repro the issue since I do not have any payment methods within the states listed here. if you are in these states, you can be subject to the tax rate of these states on digital purchases. So, if you were charged more than the 26.99 USD then the additional charge is from the state sales tax. I will ask my team about this but if you wish to leave feedback, please go to Contact us | Xbox Support.

I hope this helps in some way.

Best Regards

Thema:

1. Why does Microsoft not show you the final price when you buy Minecraft for Windows? - Similar Threads - Why does Microsoft

2. Why does microsoft support suck?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does microsoft support suck?: They never truly have a grasp over the community and they aren't ever helpful. Multiple people i know who had Mojang/Minecraft Accounts who linked the accounts to microsoft accounts that some...
  3. Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?: I have gone through so many Xbox controllers with stick drift it is ridiculous. I purchased the Xbox Series S just to have my controller conveniently get stick drift exactly 1 month after the...
  4. Why does Microsoft ban people for the most dumbest reasons?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does Microsoft ban people for the most dumbest reasons?: I'm recently got a 2 day suspension ban on my account for posting on a LFG: " W 30 nuke cards 100c each, and OverDrive 70c each" with no appeal and customer support not being able to do anything...
  5. Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Microsoft LifeChat LX-3000, Black work on my personal desktop but not work on...: I work remote. My team can hear me on Zoom or Skype on my personal desktop. But in Citrix and the cati or whatever that software is that we use to do surveys, one or both of these aren't working...
  6. Why does Microsoft false advertise the Xbox series s?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Microsoft false advertise the Xbox series s?: Why was the series s advertised with 512GB when in reality 112 of the 512 is used for god knows what and you don’t get a choice in that. But when you turn on the console and go into storage that’s...
  7. How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to unfreeze account and, why does Microsoft not send me an email?: When I try to login to my xbox account it asks for password which I forgot so i click send me a code via email. It never sends me a code. I copy and paste my email to verify it multiple times and...
  8. Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does the verification for Microsoft points continuously say I don’t have a mobile...: I’ve been trying to redeem my Microsoft points for almost 6 months now with continuous problems. When I try to redeem the points and it goes through verification, it tells me there isn’t a number...
  9. Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why Does it Say "Share" Instead of Install on my Microsoft and Xbox websites?: Just bought a 100$ Pro Controller and not only is it hard to find but when I finally found a so called app that accompanied this Controller there isn't even an option to install it. Look, I get...
  10. Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...: So I got suspended recently and I finally am able to get back on and I realize I can’t type in chat because it says my Microsoft account doesn’t allow that. I have tried everything please help me....