Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...

Discus and support Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I am asking this because my autistic 8 year-old daughter loves playing Minecraft on XBox Series X. It's her happy place--where she goes for solace. She... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Malcolm Tiberius Reynolds, Jul 18, 2023.

1. Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...

I am asking this because my autistic 8 year-old daughter loves playing Minecraft on XBox Series X. It's her happy place--where she goes for solace. She spends hours building all kinds of things. However, because she likes to fly around in creative, her worlds get fairly large. We started getting errors pertaining to not being able to save additional game information to/sync with the cloud just after upgrading from XBox One to XBox X. I called support, who only regurgitated basic suggestions like "turn it off and on again" or "do a soft reset." I did these things, and they did not help because they were not the problem. The problem is that around the time we upgraded, her saved world data crept up above 4GB--which is the magic, invisible cloud save limit that is not documented anywhere in the known universe. The primary concern was initially that her worlds would not be backed up in the cloud in case the console were to die, but quickly became the fact that the cloud storage limit was causing massive corruption to her worlds--either by overwriting the local save with an older one from the cloud when the world was loaded, or loading them with massive areas blown out of them like a bomb had gone off. It makes no sense to me why the local data should not be prioritized over the cloud data, or how a cloud storage limit should cause local saves to be corrupted. But it does.

Microsoft explicitly lies about the nature of the error we were seeing here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/troubleshooting/cloud-storage-sync-error-messages

The error we get most often is "We can't save additional info for" Minecraft. However, the problem is NOT, as is mentioned in the above article, because the console is out of space--it has almost 800GB free on the local disk. It's because the cloud storage limit is 4GB. When I called support, they had no clue about this. Never once suggested it, or asked how much space we were using locally for saved games. Microsoft statements are also highly misleading here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/games-apps/game-setup-and-play/cloud-game-saves-faq

See "How much cloud storage do I have?" and "Can I copy all my saves to the cloud?" My daughter is not what I would call an avid gamer on the XBox, as she only plays the one game. There are no other games even installed. It also stands to reason that if the cloud space can grow as your game library grows, it should also be able to grow as your save space needs for that game grow. It clearly doesn't do this, but I feel that this text is misleading.

Finally, Microsoft's go-to suggestion seems to be to delete saved data to clear up space--but they do not suggest how much is needed to be deleted because they don't specify how much one has. They also don't make cloud storage accessible or manageable except to have it delete everything for a given game (which will immediately get filled up again as she loads her worlds, and so this suggestion seems pointless.) You can't play Minecraft offline either, so that is not an option. In an attempt to work around this, I used the "Manage game and addons" option for Minecraft and chose to move the Minecraft install to an external harddrive that I had installed so that I could perhaps make a backup of her saved data locally. What this actually did was delete all of the local data!! It does not tell you that it will do this at all. As a result, when we launched the game again, over a month's worth of her progress and 13 separate worlds were gone, because they hadn't been syncing to the cloud! But how could we know this without being able to see what was in the cloud!

As the parent of an autistic child who had to watch her cry and cry after realizing that so much of her work was gone, I can't tell you how much I now hate Microsoft and the whole cloud gaming concept.

So my question is, why? Why not just make it clear how much capacity the cloud has, or allow me to make local backups, or to disable the cloud altogether? Why this forcing of prioritization for something we don't even want? BTW, we had a Game Pass Ultimate subscription when all this was happening, which I promptly cancelled. We purchased the XBox X specifically for my daughter to play Minecraft, and it is literally the worst purchase I've ever made in my life.

:)

Malcolm Tiberius Reynolds, Jul 18, 2023
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema:

Why does Microsoft consistently mislead about XBox cloud storage limits and and their...