Why do the Xbox Series X controllers constantly disconnect from the console?

Discus and support Why do the Xbox Series X controllers constantly disconnect from the console? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have an Xbox series X that is roughly 1 year old and my controller disconnects from the console every 5-10 minutes. This problem only occurs while... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Maxwell Pfotenhauer, Dec 22, 2023.

1. Why do the Xbox Series X controllers constantly disconnect from the console?

I have an Xbox series X that is roughly 1 year old and my controller disconnects from the console every 5-10 minutes. This problem only occurs while playing games and has essentially made my Xbox useless for gaming. The controller connectivity issue does not occur using applications such as Netflix or HBO. I’ve tried the standard trouble shooting on the internet for my controller connectivity but no success. The controller and console are up to date and have been reset multiple times and I constantly buying new batteries to ensure this isn’t the issue. After months of trying to reset and update controllers, my controller still disconnects every 5-10 minutes. Does anyone have a solution? It seems like a console issues since I’ve bought about 3 new controllers to try and each controller has the same issue. I’m a life long Xbox support and want to remain that way but this issue is pathetic. The Xbox 360 had better controller connectivity than the series X, it doesn’t make sense. I would not recommend the series X to anyone. Any help, information, or troubleshooting ideas are greatly appreciated.

:)

Maxwell Pfotenhauer, Dec 22, 2023
  2. Belen T.C. Win User

Hello Maxwell,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I’m sorry to hear that you are experiencing controller disconnection issues with your Xbox Series X. I understand how frustrating this can be, especially when you want to enjoy your games.

There are several possible causes and solutions for this problem, and I will try to help you find the best one for your situation. Here are some steps you can try:

• Update your Xbox Series X controller and console. Sometimes, firmware updates can fix minor bugs that affect the controller connectivity. To check if your controller has the latest firmware, go to Profile & system > Settings > Devices & connections > Accessories. To check if your console has the latest system software, go to Profile & system > Settings > System > Updates & downloads. If there is an update available, download and install it.
    • Reset and re-sync your controller. If updating the firmware does not solve the problem, you may need to reset and re-sync your controller with the console. To do this, hold down the Xbox button on the back of your controller near the bottom for three seconds. Then, navigate to Settings on your console and select Devices & connections > Accessories. Select your controller and select Reconnect. This will re-establish the connection between your controller and console.
    • Use a wired connection. If none of the above steps work, you may want to try using a wired connection instead of a wireless one. This can eliminate any interference or signal loss that may cause disconnections. To use a wired connection, plug one end of a USB-C cable into the USB port on the back of your console and the other end into a USB port on your controller. Then, turn on both devices and pair them as usual.
    • Change the power mode. Some users have reported that changing their system’s power mode from High performance to Power saving helped reduce the number of disconnections. This may be because power saving mode reduces CPU usage and prevents overheating or throttling that may affect wireless performance.

- If none of the above steps work, you may need to request a repair or replacement for your console or controller. You can do so by visiting this link: Request an Xbox controller replacement | Xbox Support

I hope these steps help you resolve your controller disconnection issue. If you have any other questions or issues, please let me know. Have a great day!

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  3. Belen T.C. Win User

Hello Maxwell,

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we will consider your issue resolved. If you do need further help, please create a new thread to discuss your concerns through this link: Create a new question or start a discussion (microsoft.com), as we will not be monitoring this thread going forward.

Thank you for understanding.

Sincerely,

Microsoft Community Moderator
  4. DeRpY SmUrFy300 Win User

Xbox Elite Series 2 Bluetooth disconnect issue

5. Obsessive Power Win User

What doesn't my stupid controller work or play when it plugged in the wall but as soon as you plug it In to the xbox it works!!!!!¿¿¿ makes no sense bc the xbox gets it power from the wall

Hi,

If you're attempting to do what I think you you are, it won't work. As soon as you connect a cabled Xbox One or Series X|S controller to a different USB connector it will try to data sync/connect to that device and will disconnect from the previous device. This is why it is recommended that you charge the controller during play directly with the console.
  6. Hannah.b Win User

Xbox series x controller disconnecting

Thanks, I will contact them. Do you have any ideas why I can use an xbox one controller perfectly fine, without disconnects, on this monitor but when I use series x controller on this monitor specifically it does not work?
Thema:

1. Why do the Xbox Series X controllers constantly disconnect from the console? - Similar Threads - Why Series controllers

2. Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is a single motor going off randomly in my series x controller?: The controller I have is the stock controller that came with my Xbox series x console. I've had it for about two years now and I haven't had any issues with it until a week ago. The vibration...
  3. Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why has every single one of my xbox series x controllers have stick drift?: I have bought my Xbox Series X a few months after it dropped… ive been through atleast 7 controllers and they are not cheap. My new pink one (which i LOVE just started with stick drift. It takes...
  4. Why is my series S controller reading as a mouse and keyboard

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my series S controller reading as a mouse and keyboard: I have tried deleting the drivers but it still persists. Shares the same address as the Mouse and keyboard in device manager. Each time I press the left thumbstick it pops up keyboard....
  5. Why is my RB on my XBOX Series S controller making a buzzing/springing noise

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my RB on my XBOX Series S controller making a buzzing/springing noise: my RB on my controller is making a buzzing/springing noise, the RB works but that noise is annoying me. it happened a couple of days ago cdbea244-a9d6-4544-be4f-9143677d077e
  6. Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why my xbox serie s controller keep flashing when I plug it without battery in the front...: My xbox serie s controller keep flashing only when I plug it without battery in the front usb port. 33960497-a9b4-4e58-accf-f100bc718934
  7. why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected

in XBoX on Consoles
    why does my xbox series x controller keep disconnected: my xbox series x controller keeps disconnecting i changed the batteries i couldnt resync the controller until i turned off the power supply but took about 2 minutes and the controller again...
  8. Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox series x/s wireless controller disconnect when my Xbox one disconnects...: When I came back home as I brought my Xbox to my friends house, it always disconnects from the WiFi and I don't know why. When it disconnected, my controller also disconnected....
  9. Why does my elite controller series two disconnect when wire isn’t plugged in

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my elite controller series two disconnect when wire isn’t plugged in: My elite series two controller keeps on disconnecting when the wire isn’t connected, I’ll be using it then suddenly I can’t move in my game or scroll on YouTube I look down and see the light...
  10. Why won’t my controllers connect to my xbox series s. also why isn’t my controller sync...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won’t my controllers connect to my xbox series s. also why isn’t my controller sync...: whenever i try to connect my controllers they just blink. i have to plug them into the back of the xbox to get them to connect and when i unplug they start blinking again. i try to use the sync...