Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again?

Discus and support Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; [img] I just tried to log on to Minecraft and play some Java Edition while I am taking a break from work. The most peculiar thing pops up, "Buy... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Alex Greenwell, Dec 12, 2023.

1. Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again?

Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again? [​IMG]
    I just tried to log on to Minecraft and play some Java Edition while I am taking a break from work. The most peculiar thing pops up, "Buy Minecraft;" where the play button usually goes. I brush it off as a minor mishap and re-sign in. It is still there. I am thing "what is this thing talking about; buying Minecraft again, I already have it!?" I look right under it and there is a box with small text saying "Not sure why you can't play the full game?" and I obviously click learn more. (I assure you that I am an administrator and apart of no family accounts.)It takes me to a page that talks about the re-haul of the Minecraft launcher and how "if you buy one version you now have both" and stuff like that. However there is nothing that talks about people having to buy it again. I have a brief discussion with the bot that is there to ask for tech support but it isn't able to comprehend the problem. So if anyone has a solution, please do tell me because I am very bewildered by this.

:)

Alex Greenwell, Dec 12, 2023
  2. Zach Fox1 Win User

I have the same issue on my MacBook prompting me to buy the game again ive been on contact with xbox support since December 8th there telling me my account wasn't successfully migrated and no achievements show I have email proof that is was migrated as well as I have proof from my computer files from Minecraft showing I did play and did unlock achievements after I migrated my account this is so frustrating
  3. Annanda Martins Win User

Hi, my name is Annanda, thank you for your question and for reaching out.

Many people seems to have this issue regarding the Java Edition. I made a search and came across many people mentioning that this can be solved by unninstaling the Windows 10/11 launcher, and downloading the 7/8 launcher instead to launch the game.

Here is a useful comment i found on Reddit by blackmetro:

" The new launcher has mutiple problems
    including a "Play Demo" message OR incorrectly saying that you don't own the game.
    there are no benefits to using the new launcher to play Minecraft Java edition

Uninstall the buggy Windows 10/11 launcher

install the much more stable Windows 7/8 launcher from the below URL:

https://www.minecraft.net/download/alternative

Windows 7/8 Launcher is 100 times more stable (regardless of what Windows version you're actually using)
    it also lets you swap easily between different Java accounts, the new one does not

the older launcher does not support launching the Bedrock edition (aka the windows store version) but you can just launch the bedrock edition straight from the Microsoft store itself (no need for a launcher)

Once the old launcher is installed - you can remove the annoying "Please update your launcher message"
    by right clicking the launcher properties and set compatibility to Windows 8 (make it think you're using an older copy of windows)

If you're angry enough about the new launcher add details to the bug report page - https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MCL-16570

Not using Windows?
    If you're on Mac or Linux OR just want to try a different launcher altogether - then try a 3rd party launcher

MultiMC

Badlion Client

Lunar client

Login:Null error
    If you have just completed migration - make sure you log out (and back into) the launcher with your new Microsoft credentials

Also check your license if correctly configured with these simple steps
    If you are still having issues, check your minecraft account license on the minecraft.net website

Navigate to - http://minecraft.net/profile

login with your Microsoft credentials

You should see a "My Games" list

you should see Minecraft Java Edition in your list of games

Here is an example of what your account should look like: Example.

If the Minecraft Java Edition tile - on the minecraft website - still says "Buy Now" (eg the screenshot) then you are either logged into the website with the wrong account - or - you havent migrated your account yet. "

Thank you blackmetro for the useful tips!

You can find this comment here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Minecraft/comments/uv8gf2/i_migrated_to_my_microsoft_account_but_minecraft/

This is a non-Microsoft website. The page appears to be providing accurate, safe information. Watch out for ads on the site that may advertise products frequently classified as a PUP (Potentially Unwanted Products). Thoroughly research any product advertised on the site before you decide to download and install it.'

If this does not help you, i recommend contacting Support directly:

https://support.xbox.com/contact-us/

https://help.minecraft.net/hc/request/new?ticket_form_id=360001225811

I hope I was able to answer your questions! Please, if you have any other doubts, we are here to help.

If the reply was helpful, please don’t forget to upvote or accept as an answer, thank you.

Best Regards, Annanda.
  4. SalernoSilva Win User

Minecraft JavaEdition

I bought the Windows 10 version of Minecraft by mistake, but the one I wanted was the java edition.

I saw that anyone who buys minecraft java edition is entitled to minecraft Windows 10. Is the reverse also true? Who buys minecraft windows 10 is entitled to minecraft java edition?

If so, how do I access the java edition version at no additional cost?
  5. luxurygamer Win User

Bought Wrong MInecraft Edition

you need to go on the internet,

paste that in or search java minecraft and it should come us with this site

Minecraft Java Edition | Minecraft

then make an account and buy
  6. jake chapman1 Win User

Minecraft Bedrock Will not recognize I own the game (UPDATE SOLVED)

Same thing happend to me but i bought the Minecraft java and bedrock sold together but it still says i need to buy Minecraft Java Edition
Thema:

1. Why do I need to Buy Minecraft: Java Edition again? - Similar Threads - Why need Buy

2. Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does the standalone Xbox program keep telling me I need Xbox Game Bar just for voice chat?: In attempting to play with Xbox-owning friends, I thought Microsoft would have had a simple, streamlined program for voice chat between P.C. and Xbox users. It doesn't seem like that's the case....
  3. Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...: Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need to transfer it to a storage expansion card or the consoles internal storage ....
  4. Why is GTA V now saying I need a disc to play?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is GTA V now saying I need a disc to play?: I bought GTA V with the game pass and it was the electronic version where it downloaded onto my Xbox 1 without needing the hard copy disc and it worked perfectly fine but now it’s giving me an...
  5. why the **** do i need to delete my god damn microsoft account just to get rid of a xbox...

in XBoX Accessibility
    why the **** do i need to delete my god damn microsoft account just to get rid of a xbox...: the ''masterminds'' at microsoft decided to make the ''delete xbox account'' feature into a ''delete microsoft account and everything else that it is connected to'' feature and i want it gone as...
  6. Why is my game saying "sign in needed" even though I am already signed into the xbox app?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my game saying "sign in needed" even though I am already signed into the xbox app?: I am already signed into the xbox app and when i launch forza horizon 4 on my pc, it says "sign in needed". I have already tried redownloading the game and the xbox app as well as signing in and...
  7. Why do I need to buy gamepass after buying the disc for minecraft

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I need to buy gamepass after buying the disc for minecraft: I recently was trying to add skins to my minecraft by buying the old version of minecraft with the deluxe edition disc of minecraft I already have. It didn’t work so I just uninstalled it but now...
  8. Why does it say I still need to buy game pass for Dead by Daylight after I already bought...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does it say I still need to buy game pass for Dead by Daylight after I already bought...: I bought Dead by Daylight for 32$ and it says that I will need to pay an extra 16.99$ for a month of game pass just to play it for one month 1cb41d18-7df9-4bb7-9003-824a081915f0
  9. Why do you need to buy game pass on Cloud Gaming to play games you own already?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do you need to buy game pass on Cloud Gaming to play games you own already?: It just doesn’t make sense that you have to pay extra money to play games you already own. Can someone explain the thought behind why this was believed to be okay?...
  10. Why do I need to buy game again?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why do I need to buy game again?: I opened minecraft on PS4 and it replaced editions button to unlock full game but I already have Minecraft ***Moved from Gaming and Xbox/Games and gaming/Other***...