Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

Discus and support Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Cornbuggy, Feb 23, 2024.

1. Cornbuggy
    Cornbuggy Guest

Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type of surround sound until I unplug the headset, at which time it will switch back to Atmos.

Some troubleshooting I tried:

-I do not have this issue if I use the Microsoft stock wireless controller. With the Microsoft controller and the headset plugged into it the console continues outputting Atmos via HDMI. I'm savvy with audio gear, but this issue has me stumped.

-If I go to Settings > volume & audio output I see a message on the right side of the screen appear when I plug in the headset. The message says "Headset is connected. Changing HDMI output is temporarily disabled while a headset is connected. All audio is optimized for headsets right now. Once you unplug the headset, it'll go back to normal."

-audio passthrough has no effect on the issue

A few tech specs:

-XBOX Series X

-Outputting via HDMI 2.1 cables, certified for 8k, into my 7.2.2 home theatre system

My questions to you all:

Can I have surround sound in my home theater and use my V2? If so how?

Is this a wired controller issue or an issue specific to my controller?

Will I be forced to use the Microsoft controller if I want to play in sweet, sweet Atmos?

Thanks community and I look forward to hearing back from you!

:)

Cornbuggy, Feb 23, 2024
  2. Rodrigo Oliver Win User

Hi Cornbuggy, my name is Rodrigo. I'm an Independent Advisor and a member of the Microsoft community and I'd love to assist you today.

I am sorry to hear that.

Have you installed the Dolby Access application?

You can search for it on the Microsoft Store on the console.

For more information: https://www.dolby.com/gaming/
  3. BirdKiller Win User

Dolby Atmos app keeps turning off and resetting on Xbox One X (cont. from an unresolved & closed thread)

So for the 1st time last night after powering up my XBOX one X console, I noticed that when I plugged my headset in to my controller ( post boot up) that the Dolby Atmos app immediately opened without me manually activating it and ran a new and different
    series of connection protocols which allowed the Dolby Atmos surround feature to be enabled.

I will also note that I have not received any confirmation reply back from NACON or Dolby Atmos., and when I powered up my console today with my headset already plugged into my controller prior to boot up that the default sound system was finally correct
    for the 1st time in many months at "Dolby Atmo surround" setting instead of the default "Windows Sonic". I will also be tracking this over the next few days to see if it continues to boot up in the atmos surround feature for my headset correctly and consistently.
  4. sagggas Win User

Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX

Hi John,

I've pasted your most recent here and replied in green.

Thank you. And to be clear so that I can make sure I am understanding correctly, the behavior you're expecting is that when plugging in a mono headset it is for not just chat but to pass game and chat audio to the headset? No, ideally, only chat audio goes to headset, but I'm ok if game and chat come thru as long as the current game/chat balance slider is available. I move the slider all the way to chat so no game audio comes thru the headset.

or is the mono headset only meant to pass chat while the surround sound system continues to cast game and console audio and is switching the TV/Surround sound audio from its settings? Like I mentioned above, I'm flexible with how it's implemented. The main requirement is that if any headset is plugged into the controller, it does not automatically turn off audio out via HDMI to my TV/Surround. Plugging in a headset should still allow Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos, etc. to flow thru HDMI via ARC, eARC, or direct to a receiver.

Thus when unplugging the surround sound system works as intended but does not work as intended when a mono headset is plugged in. I don't understand this comment. The Xbox does not work as expected when a headset is plugged in because surround sound is no longer passed out via HDMI. If no headset is plugged in, the Xbox will pass surround sound out via HDMI as I expect it to.

With the sony headset are you trying to pass all sound through the headset? or through the headset and the surround sound system? I don't use the Sony headset normally. I only tested it so I could provide you an additional data point and to demonstrate that the Xbox turns off HDMI audio out whenever ANY headset is plugged into the controller.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.
  5. DestiniesReqium Win User

People can hear my but I can't hear them

Found out that I can hear game and chat if I plug my headset into the 3.5mm splitter (converts headset and mic 3.5mm 3 position into single 4 position). But then I lose surround sound and the audio through the chat adapter sounds horrible when compared to
    it being plugged into the DSS. Not to mention the frequent popping noises from the chat adapter.

Why can I not chat using the single 3.5mm mic cable? Why does it have to be such a hassle?
  6. DestiniesReqium Win User

Xbox One Headset- Can't hear anything

Found out that I can hear game and chat if I plug my headset into the 3.5mm splitter (converts headset and mic 3.5mm 3 position into single 4 position). But then I lose surround sound and the audio through the chat adapter sounds horrible when compared to
    it being plugged into the DSS. Not to mention the frequent popping noises from the chat adapter.

Why can I not chat using the single 3.5mm mic cable? Why does it have to be such a hassle?
Thema:

1. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller? - Similar Threads - Why lose Atmos

2. Why would I lose storage on my Xbox One S?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why would I lose storage on my Xbox One S?: I have a 1tb Xbox One S. Recently it changed the size of the storage and I am unsure why. I used to have around 900GB for storage after console software took up some. After having an issue with an...
  3. Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why does the Xbox series X lose WiFi connection capability when the console power shuts off?: Hello, I bought the series X last week and I have had constant issues with Xbox not connecting to the WiFi, after it was set up, when I start the system. Absolutely nothing changes. The system...
  4. Why did I lose all of my points

in XBoX on Windows
    Why did I lose all of my points: I lost for 1500 points I was about to redeem it for rubox and then I had no points but my purchase history is empty I want my points back a445cd54-98ed-4af1-9fe1-d9530a31bc96
  5. Why did i lose already owned games?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why did i lose already owned games?: im trying to play call of duty with games i already owned for a few years and now its saying i have to rebuy the game. after i tried uninstalling the games it saying i dont own the games no more....
  6. Why is my xbox losing connection the second my controller disconnects

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox losing connection the second my controller disconnects: I am on the original xbox one - I will not buy the new xbox till I feel the need to since this worked fine until now Every time I play a game my xbox comes up with controller disconnected - even...
  7. Why did my Xbox Accessories App lose shift-key keyboard key functionality?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why did my Xbox Accessories App lose shift-key keyboard key functionality?: My profile still has the keyboard keys mapped as some shift buttons (my paddle is G while not holding the shift button and H when holding it), but now when I go to add a new shift button as a...
  8. Why is My XBOX series X losing wifi and requires a console reset to restore it?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is My XBOX series X losing wifi and requires a console reset to restore it?: My Xbox series X keeps losing the Wifi settings after being powered off. When I power it on it says no connection, then when I go to wifi settings it cannot find my wifi or any wifi connections....
  9. For Call of Duty MW2, why do I keep losing contraband weapons and keys from my stash?!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    For Call of Duty MW2, why do I keep losing contraband weapons and keys from my stash?!: When I went to bed, I had 28/40 weapons in my contraband. When I woke up I had 23/40. Same thing with my keys, 28/36 when I went to bed and 23/36 the next day. Please help....
  10. Why is my monitor losing signal when launching a game?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why is my monitor losing signal when launching a game?: Hi. Thank you for taking the time to read this. I’m having a bit of an issue with my gaming pc. Whenever I launch a game (eg. Fortnite) my monitor loses signal but my pc stays on. It only happens...