Why can’t I play a game I purchased months ago?

Discus and support Why can’t I play a game I purchased months ago? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I pre ordered Hogwarts legacy for XBOX series X and have been playing it for months without issue. I tried to start the game today and it tells me “The... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Rebecca Barber, Sep 3, 2023.

1. Why can’t I play a game I purchased months ago?

I pre ordered Hogwarts legacy for XBOX series X and have been playing it for months without issue. I tried to start the game today and it tells me “The person that bought this game needs to sign in” (0x803f9006) I’ve power cycled my Xbox, cleared my MAC address, and removed and re-added my account to my Xbox and still get the same message. Why is this happening?

:)

Rebecca Barber, Sep 3, 2023
  2. Rebecca Barber Win User

Yes I am signed in and I bought the game. I just checked another game I bought on my account (Diablo IV) and it is also giving me this error. I have purchased both games. Both show in my order history as completed. I have previously played both on this Xbox with no issue previously.
  3. Skully Headshot Win User

Just to confirm, the account that bought it is signed into xbox live?

Or the account that bought it has set the console as the home xbox and everyone could play offline too.

That is how it should work.

You could try resetting the console. Settings>System>Console Info> Reset console> There are two options one says "keep my games and apps" I would definitely try this first.

If that doesn't work you can completely factory reset, no guarantee it will [fix the issue], and guarantee you lose everything that is not synced to cloud. (shouldn't be much unless you use 2 consoles and got the wrong progress synced)

One more thing that would be good just to confirm. All your other games you bought, are they functioning properly?
  4. Rebecca Barber Win User

UPDATE: I restarted my internet modem/router and now my game works. Such a weird issue. The internet was my last ditch effort and it seems to have worked
  5. Mauro Sarlat Win User

Hi Rebecca *.

My name is Mauro and am glad to assist you, we are sorry for this incident.

In any case make sure your console is updated. Reset may also work if the problem show up again.

Thanks,
    Mauro
  6. Francia J. Win User

Game is purchased but i can’t play it

Hi, I hope you're doing great out there despite the issue that you're experiencing. I am an Independent advisor and I am here to help you in regard to your concern.

Kindly set your account as Home Xbox in that way you can share your game to your friends Xbox console. To do so, follow the steps below:

1. Sign in to your account.

2. Press the Xbox button to open the guide.

3. Select Profile & system > Settings > General > Personalization, and then select My home Xbox.

4. Check "Make this as My Home Xbox".

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...
Thema:

1. Why can’t I play a game I purchased months ago? - Similar Threads - Why can’t play

2. Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?: Is there any way to play split screen on human fall flat and online at the same time? 98967722-9b3e-4cdd-8530-75181ef4125f
  3. Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?: I have Minecraft and other games that allow you to play solo, no multiplayer. When I click the game it says “ looks like you need to renew Xbox game pass. If your subscriptions current try...
  4. Why can’t I play final shape my 10 days went through it took money out of my account and it...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can’t I play final shape my 10 days went through it took money out of my account and it...: So what’s happening here 7ed89430-0298-4b16-a1d1-f59db3a60805
  5. Why can’t I play Fortnite Any more I keeps asking for parents to hit and allow you to play...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can’t I play Fortnite Any more I keeps asking for parents to hit and allow you to play...: Why won’t you let me play Fortnite any more it says it needs 83.39GB and won’t let me in stall c29f4729-c0cc-4f66-b023-cb6fe76e126e
  6. Why can’t I play fallout4 online it keeps throwing me off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I play fallout4 online it keeps throwing me off: Yes since Monday I haven’t been able to play online Xbox fallout 4 and it’s annoying cause I pay for this feature 92633e48-4b06-4047-8f61-ec3ce198e58e
  7. Why can’t I connect to Xbox Live while playing Black Ops 1?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I connect to Xbox Live while playing Black Ops 1?: I just downloaded Black Ops 1 and whenever I go to the main menu, it automatically signs me out and when I go to sign back in, it says that I can’t connect to Xbox Live. I checked my consoles...
  8. Why can’t I play game pass games, if I have game pass?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can’t I play game pass games, if I have game pass?: I have gamepass ultimate for another month, it expires on the 24th of January, 24 days from now, and I can’t launch or play any game pass games at all but I can play all my bought games, what is...
  9. Why can’t I play MW3. I’ve just got it today and I get the problem HUENEME-NEGEV. What does...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can’t I play MW3. I’ve just got it today and I get the problem HUENEME-NEGEV. What does...: This has happened with both previous modern warfares. Not with any CODs before. This is the same message I get each time and never get online again. I’ve just got this game now....
  10. Why can’t I play my Gears 5 online without them trying to sell me Game Pass?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can’t I play my Gears 5 online without them trying to sell me Game Pass?: So I was playing Gears 5 on disc before years ago but lost my disc. Then years later I started playing on my brothers Game Pass until it ran out. So yesterday I went to the store and bought...