Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

Discus and support Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue. The first person from... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Westsidekef, Feb 7, 2024.

1. Westsidekef
    Westsidekef Guest

Why can't I change my default install location for games using the Xbox app on the PC

I want to start by saying I've spent 2.5 hours on the phone with both Xbox support and Windows support regarding this issue.

The first person from Xbox support tried everything she had in her troubleshooting toolkit to help but was unsuccessful so she passed me on to Windows support.

I explained my issue and the person said, "thank you, one minute" and then the call was disconnected.

The next time I got the call back from Xbox support, I explained the situation and she went directly to the Window support team and after a considerable amount of time on hold I was transferred again.

This Windows support person asked for the details of the problem, remoted into my computer, then suggested that formatting my drive was the only solution and when I said I didn't think that made sense, disconnected my call.

So, to explain the issue.

I have my Xbox app installed on my C drive which is a 1TB SSD with NTFS file system with 4k Allocation Unit Size

I would like to switch the default install location of games to my D drive, which is a 750GB spinner with NTFS file system and 2k Allocation Unit Size

(the file system information being bafflingly relevant in this case...)

The Xbox app says "This drive isn't formatted as NTFS. The NTFS drive requires a maximum sector size of 4k."

For my D drive both of these things are true. NTFS, and 2k is (checking my math...) less than the maximum of 4k.

Could someone please help explain what the issue is?

This is not an issue in any other software management service that I currently use, (and there are a lot of them,) so it seems confusing that in the app allegedly made by the same company that makes the operating system that this is a problem.

My experience with the actual live support team is particularly frustrating because I feel like when they got a question they couldn't answer that I was disconnected with no avenue to follow up for a resolution.

:)

Westsidekef, Feb 7, 2024
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: