Why can I only play some games directly from external storage?

Discus and support Why can I only play some games directly from external storage? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have a 5tb external hard-drive. I have it formated for the xbox series x. I have it almost full with games, but only some will play directly from it.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Josh Smith9, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Josh Smith9
    Josh Smith9 Guest

I have a 5tb external hard-drive. I have it formated for the xbox series x. I have it almost full with games, but only some will play directly from it. Others I have to constantly swap back and forth. I can play COD black ops directly. But if I want to play snow runner, I need to transfer it. Is there a particular reason why some games can be played directly from external storage and others cannot?

:)

Josh Smith9, Mar 5, 2024
  2. Smwutches Win User

Series S/X optimized games can only run from the internal drive or the expansions cards that are made for those consoles. Other storage devices are not fast enough to run those games properly.
  3. cpt sheridan Win User

Can you use a Seagate Storage Expansion Card along with an WD_BLACK 5TB P10 Game Drive on a Xbox series X

At least you gave the right advice about the optimised/upgraded SeriesX/S games only be played from the internal storage or an expansion card as there's been some bad advice given by some that you can play optimised/upgraded games from an external hdd/ssd.
  4. StuartATrueRed Win User

I installed my avolusion 8tb hard drive on my Xbox series x and every time I installed my games on that hard drive and try to play with my games it says must move it to your internal hard drive

If the game is a Xbox Series X game, then those game can only be stored on the internal storage to be able to play them. Any other games such as Xbox One and Xbox 360 backward compatible games can be stored on the external storage and played from there.
  5. Obsessive Power Win User

How to record gameplay on x series x and then transfer to PC to edit

Hi,

The Storage Epansion card from Seagate is for Xbox game installs/downloads. It can't be used to record gameplay, which is why your Google searches were unsuccessful.

All you need to capture externally is an inexpensive USB 3.0 storage device. A suitable flash drive can do it.

Capture Xbox game clips to external storage.
  6. gds1972 Win User

Data transfer Xbox One >> Xbox One S

Hi

The Xbox One and Xbox One S has the ability to play games directly from a suitable external hard drive and you can also use this method to move games from one Xbox One console to another one please see

the guide here about external storage
    on the Xbox One.

The basic requirements for storing games and apps on an external drive are:

Has capacity of 256 GB or more, and

Uses USB 3.0.
Thema:

1. Why can I only play some games directly from external storage? - Similar Threads - Why play games

2. Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?: I have Minecraft and other games that allow you to play solo, no multiplayer. When I click the game it says “ looks like you need to renew Xbox game pass. If your subscriptions current try...
  3. Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...: Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need to transfer it to a storage expansion card or the consoles internal storage ....
  4. Why can't I play games on my Xbox?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I play games on my Xbox?: I have an Xbox series S btw when I click on a game it doesn't launch it and gives me a grey screen for a couple of seconds, then goes back to the home screen. I've searched online and tried...
  5. why is my Pc screen going black when i play high intensive games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    why is my Pc screen going black when i play high intensive games?: Hello So I've been frustrated for the couple of weeks because I've been trying to fix my gpu from crashing. I've updated the drivers, I've taken out my gpu out of the socket and put it back in,...
  6. Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I play forza horizon 5 without buying game Pass when I owned it before it was...: Ever since I redownloaded it I have been unable to play online and wants me to buy game pass when I try to go online. How do I solve this without spending money? 9bac4131-b861-4132-9bd3-d1e363dc76a6
  7. Why is playing a game on PC+ PC GamePass + Controller so crappy?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is playing a game on PC+ PC GamePass + Controller so crappy?: On forza, every time I hit the e-brake it makes the telemetry menu pop up. In rocket league, A is Jump. B is jump & boost. LT is Jump & boost. RT is drive and boost. B is just boost. X is drift &...
  8. Why must play game from internal instead of external

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why must play game from internal instead of external: I was really getting annoyed by the fact that I had to move my games back and forth for no reason intill I called and got the answer that you have to play from internal not external which is a...
  9. Why is my gamedrive ssd not letting me play games on my series x

in XBoX on Windows
    Why is my gamedrive ssd not letting me play games on my series x: I bought a game drive ssd as someone told me I could just install games in it and still be able to play but now that I install a game and I try to play it, it tells me that I need to transfer it...
  10. Why do i not get my daily rewards for play pc game. I've done all step suggested and some...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why do i not get my daily rewards for play pc game. I've done all step suggested and some...: not getting rewards for pc game daily eacc2b68-3f37-40a2-9ffe-321ba5d2ce31