Why can I not play Sea of Thieves on the series X, even though it says I own it?

Discus and support Why can I not play Sea of Thieves on the series X, even though it says I own it? in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I bought Sea of Thieves for the Xbox one years ago. I upgraded my Xbox to the series X and was looking at games to download when I saw SoT was own and... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Ethan Rice, Oct 20, 2023.

1. Ethan Rice
    Ethan Rice Guest

Why can I not play Sea of Thieves on the series X, even though it says I own it?

I bought Sea of Thieves for the Xbox one years ago. I upgraded my Xbox to the series X and was looking at games to download when I saw SoT was own and could be downloaded. When I start up the game it brings up 2 "purchase" options saying I need to buy the Xbox game pass and has an error code of avacadobeard. What is going on?

:)

Ethan Rice, Oct 20, 2023
  2. Gerardo CG Win User

Hi there Ethan, my name is Gerardo, and I'm an Xbox player, just like you. I'll be happy to assist you with any questions or concerns you may have.

Please keep in mind that Sea of Thieves is a completely online game, which means that even if you own it, you need to have a Game Pass Core subscription (previously called Xbox Live Gold) or a Game Pass Ultimate subscription (as it includes Gold) to play it. This also applies to other online-only games such as Dead by Daylight and Rainbow Six Siege, for example. Remember that to play any game online on an Xbox console, you need one of the two subscriptions mentioned above, with the exception of Free-to-Play games.

I appreciate your understanding and I hope this helps. If you have further questions please let me know.

Best regards,
    Gerardo.
  3. WPAK Win User

Peut on jouer a sea of thieves sans game pass mais en ayant déjà le jeu [Translation - Can you play a sea of thieves without game pass but already having the game]

Web translation:

Can we play sea of thieves without game pass but already having the game

Hello,

I would like to know if we can play sea of thieves without the Xbox game pass but already owning the game.

Response:

Hi there,

Yes, if you own the game itself you can play the game, it's not required to have a game pass subscription to be able to play Sea of Thieves.

Side note: You will require a Gold subscription though, since it's an online game.
  4. Papa JJ ٍ Win User

corrupted game

my platform is xbox one X and i own it digitally and the game is sea of thieves
  5. ZeroMoustafah Win User

Favourite Limited Edition Controller

I've gotta say though I do not personally own it, the Sea of Thieves Xbox one controller is so far my favorite. The color scheme is awesome and I love the Skull.
  6. NickD54 Win User

Xbox freezing and turning off

I have this happen occasionally on the series X as well after playing some time like 3+ hours the system might crash and freeze then turn off. This happens the most for me at least on sea of thieves.
Thema:

1. Why can I not play Sea of Thieves on the series X, even though it says I own it? - Similar Threads - Why play Sea

2. Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can’t I play split screen and online with friends at same time in human fall flat?: Is there any way to play split screen on human fall flat and online at the same time? 98967722-9b3e-4cdd-8530-75181ef4125f
  3. Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my youtube app keep glitching when playing videos but not commercials?: My youtube keeps freezing but all my other apps and games are running just fine. I've cleared the saved date. There are no updates. And there are no updates needed for my Xbox....
  4. Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can’t I play single player on games that offer both- single and multiplayer options?: I have Minecraft and other games that allow you to play solo, no multiplayer. When I click the game it says “ looks like you need to renew Xbox game pass. If your subscriptions current try...
  5. Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need...: Why is my Xbox Series X game called HAUNTED HOUSE saying to play Haunted House you'll need to transfer it to a storage expansion card or the consoles internal storage ....
  6. Why does Spotify or Netflix stop playing as soon the candy crush window launches?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does Spotify or Netflix stop playing as soon the candy crush window launches?: I have always listened to Spotify or watch Netflix while I play Candy Crush, but the in the last week, when I launch the game on my phone, either Netflix and Spotify both stop playing(not both at...
  7. Why can't I play star wars knights of the old republic

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I play star wars knights of the old republic: Why can't I play star wars knights of the old republic 69ff5b72-b369-44eb-bcfc-8d6a37c0fed2
  8. Why can I play sea of thieves even though I bought it? I thought if you bought a game...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can I play sea of thieves even though I bought it? I thought if you bought a game...: I bought the game and can’t play e1dd421d-a9bb-40f9-8e07-42429b66cb9e
  9. Why can’t I play games off my sea gate game drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can’t I play games off my sea gate game drive: Like a would move apex legends to my seagate storage drive but then it says I have to move it back to my internal storage to play it 63969cac-10e8-4f63-a2ec-bf5da9b1a3fc
  10. Why can I only play Sea of Thieves after enrolling to Game Pass...I don't know why I paid...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can I only play Sea of Thieves after enrolling to Game Pass...I don't know why I paid...: I don't understand why I am getting redirected to the game Pass subscription screen. This is really grimey tactics. Don't like what is happening to gaming but I am allset anyway I don't care for...