Why bother with XBox Live?

Discus and support Why bother with XBox Live? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I genuinely want to know. Why pay any price for the inability to play online games without latency? Thus preventing any enjoyment with THAT aspect.... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Guyonaunicyclewearingasom, Apr 27, 2020.

1. Why bother with XBox Live?

I genuinely want to know.

Why pay any price for the inability to play online games without latency? Thus preventing any enjoyment with THAT aspect. And I must say, that severely hampers the enjoyment of quite a few games. As far as latency goes, I wouldn't blame the isolationists
    nor covid, it's always been a severe issue.

How about I address the terrible games that are given for 'free'? So long as you actually have the console to tag it, IE: XBox One can't tag XBox 360 games. Those bad indie games that never get played, the would-be games sold in bite size portions, nor the
    one time of year when a not-bad game gets released; none of these make it worth the price, so why pay for that?

So lets go on to the gold member sales... or not. Seeing as non-gold member sales is where the best sales are. I've taken advantage of that, but never the gold member sales.

Is there anything which makes this worth it? Or am I just going to assume that I've been ripped off in the past and be wary of all things XBox in the future?

And ooooh, do I ever have issues beyond just this with XBox. An unending chain of useless near-broken controllers (because I really want to go and buy another new controller so that I can make it not work either), games that refuse to work (heaven forbid
    the internet or the XBox network goes down), games that crash and freeze (frequently, very frequently).

After all this, why pay anything?

:)

Guyonaunicyclewearingasom, Apr 27, 2020
  2. XA JJKILLERs Win User

I can understand upkeep costs, keeping and maintaining a server network isn't cheap. So why not allow the games to run on their own networks? XBox games shouldn't need to run on XBox Live servers, much like windows games don't need to be played through some
    arbitrary windows network, so why force them? Historically speaking, games that didn't require a dedicated network actually ran with less lag, because there wasn't a dedicated server to cause latency. So why take on the load in the first place? Ofcourse I
    do assume that all the XBox games run exclusively on XBox servers, otherwise locking away gameplay for certain games behind a paywall would earn its fair share of hate, and deservedly so. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Once upon a time, before XBox, games and consoles weren't dependent on people paying for a subscription service, but rather the popularity of the games and consoles themselves was what spurned the market forward. If they are dependent on subscription services,
    they should make the not-inexpensive XBox, free or inexpensive. Atleast then, it would actually warrant the service fee, the incessant commercials and ads on the home screen, the inept hardware, and the attitude some people have about XBox in general.

Lets swing this in another direction, I would assume you have a smart phone of some sort, would you pay a service fee just to play your various app games? or just not play the games? Or assume that you'd be better off with a different phone service? Probably
    the latter, yeah, I bet it's the latter.

These are the questions I'm asking myself concerning XBox in general, but at the same time trying to find a reason not to throw an investment into the trash, thus, is there anything that makes XBox Live worth it? And I can't find any good answer.

All because I just want to do some online gaming.
    Historicly you would have a host that would be the the server for that lobby and you have always paid to play on xbox
  3. HyperVenom523 Win User

Latency is more internet related issue I dont think people with fiber optic or very high internet speeds are having latency problems at all, I am one of them that dont suffer from that 🤷��‍♂️
  4. Tezzarrific Win User

I can understand upkeep costs, keeping and maintaining a server network isn't cheap. So why not allow the games to run on their own networks? XBox games shouldn't need to run on XBox Live servers, much like windows games don't need to be played through some
    arbitrary windows network, so why force them? Historically speaking, games that didn't require a dedicated network actually ran with less lag, because there wasn't a dedicated server to cause latency. So why take on the load in the first place? Ofcourse I
    do assume that all the XBox games run exclusively on XBox servers, otherwise locking away gameplay for certain games behind a paywall would earn its fair share of hate, and deservedly so. Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong though.

Once upon a time, before XBox, games and consoles weren't dependent on people paying for a subscription service, but rather the popularity of the games and consoles themselves was what spurned the market forward. If they are dependent on subscription services,
    they should make the not-inexpensive XBox, free or inexpensive. Atleast then, it would actually warrant the service fee, the incessant commercials and ads on the home screen, the inept hardware, and the attitude some people have about XBox in general.

Lets swing this in another direction, I would assume you have a smart phone of some sort, would you pay a service fee just to play your various app games? or just not play the games? Or assume that you'd be better off with a different phone service? Probably

These are the questions I'm asking myself concerning XBox in general, but at the same time trying to find a reason not to throw an investment into the trash, thus, is there anything that makes XBox Live worth it? And I can't find any good answer.

most third party games run on their own servers, only first party titles and a smattering of third party run on azure. none of the xbox gold money goes to the devs running the servers it is just for microsofts end.

Im sticking with PC now as i don't need to pay for playing online as that is provided by the games devs/publishers anyway and have never had issues with security, support is readily available for each game and pc games are cheaper than console games that
    are on sale or discounted.
  5. AridLizard Win User

the smart phone isn't cheap to buy and you still have to pay a fee to use it, whether you play games on it or not.

as for making the console cheaper or free with the subscription, Xbox All Access comes close (a One S digital clocks in at $20 per month and that includes Ultimate Gamepass, and after 18 months it can be upgraded to the Series X)
  6. Guyonaunicyclewearin Win User

Thema:

1. Why bother with XBox Live? - Similar Threads - Why bother Live

2. why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in: Why does everytime i try to log onto my xbox account on xbox.com and i put my password it says hang on a moment while we sign in and it wont let me sign in please im desperate i talked to support...
  3. Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...: For some reason when ever i try to download my call of duty black ops games they don’t wanna download on my external storage they download to my xbox but not my external storage all my other games...
  4. Why doesn't xbox open up third-party memory cards, official ones are too expensive

in XboX Insiders
    Why doesn't xbox open up third-party memory cards, official ones are too expensive: 为什么xbox不开放第三方存储卡,官方存储卡太贵了。PS可以使用任何SSD,深受游戏玩家的好评。 submitted by /u/Sure_Government_4353 [link] [comments]
  5. Why is Xbox banning people for doing literally nothing wrong?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is Xbox banning people for doing literally nothing wrong?: I just want to know when Microsoft is going to stop with the gross abuse of power when it comes to wrongfully banning people. I got a 15 day ban for asking someone to swap character in a game....
  6. Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my xbox open any games or apps tried to open settings too but can't ive also...: Please fix it soon I have a job to do and want to play a few games before I gotta go to work but lately you guys have been having issues with your things and it's slightly missing me off, you guys...
  7. Why am I not getting the rewards I Redeemed from Game pass

in XBoX on Windows
    Why am I not getting the rewards I Redeemed from Game pass: I Redeemed 3 different coin packs with my game pass points and never received them. I didn't get an email with a code or a text I was not given anything to redeem them but used my game pass...
  8. Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't you hear the audio of GTA 4 and the other games, you can hear it even if they are...: When I stream on Discord from my Xbox, the audio of the GTA 4 game is not heard in the stream.and I stream another old game like gear of war 1 and 2 and the one I have problems with in gta 4...
  9. Why can’t I get my V-bucks gift card to redeem?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can’t I get my V-bucks gift card to redeem?: Hey! My brother recently gave me a gift card for 2800 vbucks and i wanted to redeem it. So i went to Fortnite.com and went to redeem my code. It let me put in the code, but after i did that it...
  10. Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why won't my Xbox Wireless Controller turn on all of a sudden?: We got a new Xbox Series S back in February and the controller that came with it was working very well.. Until recently. For some reason, the controller now won't turn on instantly and no matter...