Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at...

Discus and support Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at... in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Hello everyone, recently I bought a game from Microsoft Store (Forza Horizon 5) and installed it at my pc but at an external drive because my main... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by FilipposDS, Jun 16, 2023.

1. FilipposDS
    FilipposDS Guest

Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at...

Hello everyone,

recently I bought a game from Microsoft Store (Forza Horizon 5) and installed it at my pc but at an external drive because my main one had not enough storage. So I downloaded it at the external drive with no problems. After that something happened and I had to uninstall it. I did uninstall it and then I redownloaded it but the game instead of being installed at "D:\WindowsApps", it did install in 2 different folders. At "D:\WindowsApps" and "D:\XboxGames" folder. As you will be able to see from the screenshots below there are files of the game at both folders. Why is this happening? And how can I fix it?

Note that:
    I have changed from storage settings already where new content should be installed. (From C Drive to D Drive)
    Also the first time i downloaded the game it only installed at "D:\WindowsApps" folder, only. I remember also that when i firstly downloaded it while it was downloading the "temp" files of the game were at XboxGames folder and when it downloaded the whole game it moved the files to WindowsApps as it should. Now the files from the download are at XboxGames and WindowsApps both.

Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at... [​IMG]

Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at... [​IMG]

:)

FilipposDS, Jun 16, 2023
  2. CarTzy Win User

Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at the same time? (Both WindowsApps folder and XboxGames fodler)

Hello FilipposDS,

It sounds like you have already decided to format your PC and reinstall Windows and everything. That is a drastic solution, but it might fix any corrupted files or settings that caused the problem. I hope you have backed up your important data before doing that. Thank you for contacting us and I hope you enjoy your gaming experience once everything is restored. Have a nice day.
  3. FilipposDS Win User

Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at the same time? (Both WindowsApps folder and XboxGames fodler)

Well before trying your solution i checked with which files the game opens (files from WidnowsApps or XboxGames folder) and the game opens with the files from the xboxgames folder and not from windowsapps. I moved the folder of Forza Horizon 5 from XboxGames folder to another path just to check if the game is going to launch with the files from windowsapps folder but it won't launch. It says path not found and game can not open, appears as uninstalled. So if i delete xboxgames folder the same thing as above will happen and i will not be capable of opening the game and i will have to redownload it, which this is what i am trying not to do as with my internet connection it will take 2 days for the 133 gbs.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello FilipposDS,

Thank you for the update. It is good to know that it no longer duplicates the download.

Please do not hesitate to ask the community anytime just in case you have any questions in the future.
  5. FilipposDS Win User

Hello,

Well yes i decides to format my PC and reinstall everything which i did. Today i installed and Forza Horizon 5. Well, again tha game installed at XboxGames folder instead of WindowsApps but now it does't occupy storage at both folders. Only at XboxGames. If i go to XboxGames folder i can see the game files but if i also go to WindowsApps folder i can find the game files there too but as a shortcut. But it is ok since it is not installed 2 times as before.
  6. CarTzy Win User

Hello FilipposDS,

Welcome to Microsoft Community.

I can see that you encountered an issue with installing Forza Horizon 5 on your Windows PC.

The game is supposed to be installed only in the WindowsApps folder, but sometimes it creates a duplicate folder in the XboxGames folder as well.

This does not affect the gameplay or performance of the game, but it does take up extra space on your hard drive. You can safely delete the XboxGames folder if you want to free up some space. Please do not delete the WindowsApps folder as this will uninstall the game completely. To delete the XboxGames folder, you will need to follow these steps:

1. Open File Explorer and go to C:\Program Files

2. Right-click on the XboxGames folder and select Properties

3. Go to the Security tab and click on Advanced

4. Click on Change next to Owner and enter your username

5. Check the box that says Replace owner on subcontainers and objects and click OK

6. Click on Apply and OK to close the Properties window

7. Right-click on the XboxGames folder again and select Delete

This should remove the duplicate folder and free up some space on your hard drive.

Please let me know if this works for you or if you have any other questions.

Thank you for choosing Xbox and have a great day!
Thema:

1. Why a game which I downloaded from Microsoft store is installed at 2 different folders at... - Similar Threads - Why game downloaded

2. Why can't I choose a folder to download my games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I choose a folder to download my games?: When I try to install some games, it asks me to choose a folder for my games on my C drive. When I choose a folder, it says "You can't set your default install location to that folder. Try another...
  3. Why can't I download a game from the Minecraft marketplace that I have already bought?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why can't I download a game from the Minecraft marketplace that I have already bought?: Hi, I am on PC wanting to play one block that I bought from the marketplace about a year and a half ago but when I try and download it, it stays on 0 percent. I have tried multiple methods to fix...
  4. Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does my Xbox disconnect from 5g WiFi when I’m downloading games?: When I am downloading a game, my Xbox will hold a 105+ mbps download speed. But starting a couple of months ago, my Xbox randomly disconnects from the WiFi only when I’m downloading games. Does...
  5. Why can't I download games on xbox series x

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why can't I download games on xbox series x: So one day I turned my xbox on to see that two games are updating but they've both stopped and will not go past a certain percentage. So I cleared the que to start again only to find now that any...
  6. Why can’t i see my game in my full library that was downloaded on an external hard drive...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can’t i see my game in my full library that was downloaded on an external hard drive...: So I had my copy of Lego Star Wars the Skywalker Saga downloaded on my external hard drive as well as my copy of Red Dead Redemption 2 but that was the disc version and I could redownload Red Dead...
  7. Why won’t my game download, it’s just saying installation stopped and won’t let me download it.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why won’t my game download, it’s just saying installation stopped and won’t let me download it.: How do I fix a game that just says installation stopped every time I try and download it. b8aa3724-e6f7-45f1-8f30-d4a42379b4ae
  8. Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why does the Xbox app keep downloading a game when I never gave it permission to do so?: About every week for the past month, the Xbox app on my PC will download the game "Wartales" and I'll see it in my library with the message "Just installed!". The thing is, I have never initiated...
  9. Why can't I use my gamepass ultimate to download and play games? It prompts me to purchase...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why can't I use my gamepass ultimate to download and play games? It prompts me to purchase...: Why can't I use my gamepass ultimate to download and play games? It prompts me to purchase game pass when I click on a game to download. e1986801-7eac-42b1-97f3-456f6054673d
  10. Why can I not get the Forza Motorsport game to download?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Why can I not get the Forza Motorsport game to download?: I purchased the digital download of the Forza Motorsport game (twice) for my son’s Xbox One. The first time I thought he messed up when putting the code in so we not very happily purchased it...