Who said MS don't know what to do with hololens and not be used for gaming? ;)

Discus and support Who said MS don't know what to do with hololens and not be used for gaming? ;) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; www.engadget.com/.../microsoft-hololens-hands-on This might be a good read for everyone. a1457292-5f27-4456-9ab8-a719cb51d724 Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by HairyLoveSpuds, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Who said MS don't know what to do with hololens and not be used for gaming? ;)

HairyLoveSpuds, Mar 4, 2015
  2. NYJets12
    NYJets12 Guest
    NOW do you think Microsoft will rethink DRM?

for some of you people who can't figure this out Sony said you can play used games BUT you can play used games on the XB1 also. It's not up to Sony or MS on the used game issue it's the Publishers. If you think the Publishers are gonna lose money with Sony
    on used games your a moron. Whatever system the Publishers want for used games is gonna be on both consoles not just the 1. But Sony did do MS with the no check-in thing. Hopefully MS will change that but don't count on it.

NYJets12, Mar 4, 2015
  3. Randver
    Randver Guest
    Windows 10 Event: Before & After Discussion

Do you guys actually believe there will be gaming applications for the Hololens anytime in the next 5 or even 10 yrs?

I can see it being used for applications that are more on par with Google Glasses and going well beyond what they are capable of doing but I think even MS knows that it's impact on gaming isn't coming anytime soon which is why they demo'd it during the
    Win 10 announcement rather than one geared more towards gamers.

I think VR headsets are going to be the first major innovation we'll see that impacts gaming. I've used the Oculus Rift several dozen times now and it works but has limitations. When you compare it to the Hololens it's obvious the sci-fi leap the Hololens
    makes. The biggest issue is it's a stand alone device and they'll need to put a PC in a pair of glasses before we'll be playing CoD in our living room.

Randver, Mar 4, 2015
  4. Goatsnatcher
    Goatsnatcher Guest

Sounds goo. Seem's his only real gripe was with the bulky demo hardware.

Goatsnatcher, Mar 4, 2015
  5. Satsumo
    Satsumo Guest
    Satsumo, Mar 4, 2015
  6. Randver
    Randver Guest
    I'm still confused to why many of you think this brings more to the table than VR from a gaming perspective.

The gaming applications for the Hololens are limited because it doesn't remove you from your world. Virtual chess boards, city building games on a kitchen table and those types of games will be about it.

VR puts you in the world which is why I thought most of us gamed. VR Madden football your looking up and down a life like football field for your receivers, Hololens your looking around your living room with a bunch of football players in it?

I see the Hololens being much more useful in the educational, business and tech fields but for gaming it'll be nothing more than a gimmick and probably not worth the price for gamers (see the Kinect).

Randver, Mar 4, 2015
  7. Boas BS5
    Boas BS5 Guest
    @satsumo you replied to a comment I made with something that was totally irrelevant then. Being a gamer im only really interested in how hololens will improve my gaming experience atm.

Minecraft world building is a good gaming concept but as Randver says yoru limited to your room, want to build something there you cant as theres a sofa in the way etc.

Like i have said many time I hope im wrong but IN MY OPINION holo and vr are doomed to fail imo.

Boas BS5, Mar 4, 2015
  8. Tzar of kaos
    Tzar of kaos Guest

Yop,but VR is made for first person not all games,i can't see using it for third person.VR got its limits.

But both can adds nice features and experiences.

Tzar of kaos, Mar 4, 2015
  9. Rand. I do not think it can bring much to the Gaming Table, except if it can be fully extended to a Hologram specific Room. Where total immersion would be possible. Now that would be super exciting. I just hope that MS, actually take the time to complete
    the project properly before releasing it.

And perhaps sell the first editions more to companies, rather than using Gamers as their guinea Pigs

But i can see the other aspects that you point out, For C.A.D, Home buyers, or even for purchasing home items, you could have your room blank and place furniture or fittings where you want and see what they look life, before actual purchase.

Personally on the other side i am enjoying VR, i think the OR, is a fab bit of kit, and is cool. It takes me back to watching The Lawnmower Man.

But if you want to see what VR, could possibly be like in the future, perhaps read "Otherland" by Tad Williams, Where people create their own virtual worlds, and you can wander them and interact with them.

HairyLoveSpuds, Mar 4, 2015
  10. Randver
    Randver Guest
    The biggest issue with VR is comfort. I played Skyrim with the OR and it's a phenomenal experience for about 30 minutes and then it gets uncomfortable.

I game to relax in my comfortable recliner so anything that makes that more difficult to do isn't appealing. I'm waiting for the day they put noise cancelling mics in our controllers so I don't have to wear a headset so wearing something else on my head
    for several hours isn't going to happen.

Randver, Mar 4, 2015
  11. Goatsnatcher
    Goatsnatcher Guest
  12. RippenHarra
    RippenHarra Guest
    " I'm still confused to why many of you think this brings more to the table than VR from a gaming perspective."

"The gaming applications for the Hololens are limited because it doesn't remove you from your world. Virtual chess boards, city building games on a kitchen table and those types of games will be about it."

That's why. I don't want to be completely removed from my world. I want to be immersed as much as I can without being totally blocked off. The Holo as demonstrated with the Mars demo has the ability to not just place objects in your world but bring the world
    into your life not block you out of it.

RippenHarra, Mar 4, 2015
  13. Randver
    Randver Guest

We already have that. Near realistic graphics on a TV....immersed but not removed.

The Mars demo was smoke and mirrors. They gave the appearance in the video of something that isn't possible with the Hololens. I agree with the editor of CNET......www.yahoo.com/.../finally-sci-fi-magic-technology-162235458-cbs.html

At best tech/educational applications in my opinion. Gaming won't amount to anything more than virtual board games and that'll be a hard sell to the gaming community especially with this gens obsession with graphics.

Randver, Mar 4, 2015
  14. RippenHarra
    RippenHarra Guest
    Lol smoke and mirrors. Later Rand.

RippenHarra, Mar 4, 2015
  15. Randver
    Randver Guest
    I didn't say that to be argumentative.

It was shown from the third person on a screen not from the perspective of the glasses. I'm assuming no one believes that the glasses will remove all your furniture and project the red planet in your living room.....that just went from Hololens to Holodeck.

Randver, Mar 4, 2015
Thema:

1. Who said MS don't know what to do with hololens and not be used for gaming? ;) - Similar Threads - said don't hololens

2. Ban [mod removed] he said he was gonna kill me irl and cussing

in XBoX on Consoles
    Ban [mod removed] he said he was gonna kill me irl and cussing: Ban [mod removed] he is cussing and talking about killing 6ca2dd2b-697f-46ad-b968-8bc8e2ec7283
  3. Why my game still shows voice chat restrictions but I haven't said anything bad

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why my game still shows voice chat restrictions but I haven't said anything bad: I don't really understand why it's still doing it. 9c098a46-b81d-4583-8c63-99ceac2718cc
  4. I only had one game install and the xbox x said don't have enough space. to save game why

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I only had one game install and the xbox x said don't have enough space. to save game why: why i received don't have enough space to save game in the clouds ebdfdb42-26d1-4905-bf32-b1951d697c46
  5. Minecraft said I don't own Minecraft anymore when my PC game pass expired, but I already...

in XBoX Accessibility
    Minecraft said I don't own Minecraft anymore when my PC game pass expired, but I already...: I first bought Minecraft the game itself, and then yesterday when my PC game pass expired, Minecraft said that I don't own Minecraft anymore. I think the bug might be linked to the Xbox PC game...
  6. I bought 2k24 installed it and tried to open it and it said you don't have rights for this...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I bought 2k24 installed it and tried to open it and it said you don't have rights for this...: I bought and won't let me play b2c829c6-eff5-402e-a1b8-678741ae1d0a
  7. I used my product key, entered it and said purchase compete, but I don't see where I can...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I used my product key, entered it and said purchase compete, but I don't see where I can...: I used my product key, entered it and said purchase compete, but I don't see where I can find the game to download and play. 153786fa-41fb-4275-aaa9-69179928027c
  8. It said I don't have game pass when I still do and it also said I don't have any any...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    It said I don't have game pass when I still do and it also said I don't have any any...: I really need help please . 45f416a2-be9c-4dd2-b794-7eb9f6c38c25
  9. Game said it requires Xbox Live, but I didn't know that and don't want to pay the extra.

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Game said it requires Xbox Live, but I didn't know that and don't want to pay the extra.: Recently I bought Forza Horizon 4 for a discounted price due to Black Friday on the Microsoft store. After spending about 9-10 hours downloading the game as it is very large, I was told it could...
  10. Account suspension I don't know why said I got account suspension

in XBoX on Consoles
    Account suspension I don't know why said I got account suspension: I think it I'm fair of you guys to ban me for using inappropriate language when this gentleman decides to call me of "fat ****" And has no sense of respect for anybody else online and thinks it's...