When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive?

Discus and support When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive? in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Id like to play my games from external hard drive but unfortunately i can’t play from storage, i would like to be able to do this again instead of... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ColtonBrown5, Mar 11, 2024.

1. ColtonBrown5
    ColtonBrown5 Guest

Id like to play my games from external hard drive but unfortunately i can’t play from storage, i would like to be able to do this again instead of paying for something much more expensive.

:)

ColtonBrown5, Mar 11, 2024
  2. HomegrownSilky Win User

Why can't you play series x games on ext ssd?

Get a PS5, problem solved. you can play games on external sdd no problems attached
    You cannot store or play PS5 games from an external drive. At least with the Series X/S consoles, you can store the Series X/S games to external drives. You just have to move them to internal storage to play them. You can play PS4 games from an external drive hooked up to a PS5 though, just like you can play Xbox, Xbox 360, and Xbox One games from an external drive connected to a Series X/S.
  3. Nursemorph Win User

How to transfer xbox one games to series x?

You should be able to do that, yes:

"Power down your Xbox One.

1. Unplug the external drive.
    2. Connect the external drive to your Xbox Series X, S.
    3. Power on your Xbox Series X, S.
    4. Wait for the external drive to be detected. This may take a couple of minutes.
    5. When the drive is detected, you are free to copy any games you want onto the Xbox Series X, S internal storage."
    Taken from here:

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-transfer-data-xbox-one-series-x-series-s
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X/S keeps asking if I want to download game on internal drive, while I set download to the external

Thank you for the quick reply. Any plans on when it can be configurable ?
    I'm afraid it won't ever be 'configurable'. The real reason why your games can't be downloaded to the external drive is because you can't actually run Series X|S games from an external drive.

External hard drives are far too slow to run Series X|S games. They need to be run either from the internal drive - which is a fast NVME SSD - or the optional memory expansion cards for the Series X|S consoles. Not even SATA based external SSD's are considered fast enough for X|S games.

You can move Series X|S games for archive purposes to copy back to these faster storage locations to play, but you can't run Series X|S games from external storage.

Games that have not been optimised for Series X|S have no such limitations.

Not sure why the 'Independent Advisor' doesn't know this well known fact.
  5. StuartATrueRed Win User

Any tips on how to make the hard drive play games or is this a lost cause?

If you are trying to play Xbox Series X|S games from the Game Drive, then that is not possible. The only way to play those games is from the internal storage or the official Xbox Series X|S external storage cards. The Game Drive can be used to play Xbox One, Xbox 360 & Xbox original games via backward compatibility.
  6. HomegrownSilky Win User

The absolute daft price of the new storage modules for series x/s

Games can be stored on external drives. No need to keep redownloading anything. Store Series X/S games on external drive and then transfer to internal drive when wanting to play.
Thema:

1. When will we be able to play xbox series X/S games from a external drive? - Similar Threads - able play series

2. We have two xboxes in our home and want to be able to play online with the kids at the same...

in XBoX Accessibility
    We have two xboxes in our home and want to be able to play online with the kids at the same...: We have two Xboxes in our home and only one gold subscription. is there a way that my kids can play on one of the consoles while i play on the other on the same online game at the same time? i am...
  3. Not being able to play games on external hard drive

in XBoX on Windows
    Not being able to play games on external hard drive: Why can’t I play games on my external hard rice fa80c9e6-2a62-4a8b-93ef-811c874bbf99
  4. if my gamepass expires will i be able to play games once downloaded

in XBoX Accessibility
    if my gamepass expires will i be able to play games once downloaded: if my gamepass expires will i be able to play games once downloaded d7e7c536-caa7-4db3-8ffa-708f64cb503b
  5. I’m playing rainbow six on Xbox series X, I’m able to start party chats and hear and talk...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I’m playing rainbow six on Xbox series X, I’m able to start party chats and hear and talk...: I’m trying to play rainbow six with friends on PlayStation. But it shows their mic box grey and I’m unable to change any setting that would allow me to hear them, pleaseeee help. This has been...
  6. Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?

in XBoX on Windows
    Play spotify music only on monitor and not through headset while still being able to hear game?: Is there a way to play game audio through headset but spotify playing only on monitor? d368a210-979a-44bc-90ee-70363e601680
  7. If I have a realm on Minecraft then close it will I (the host) be able to play it alone for...

in XBoX on Windows
    If I have a realm on Minecraft then close it will I (the host) be able to play it alone for...: Trying to start a realm but if I stop paying can I still have it for just me 58759532-a3bb-4890-93b6-8965741cd53f
  8. Pallworlds not able to play offline on Xbox series x

in XboX Insiders
    Pallworlds not able to play offline on Xbox series x: Even tho it's advertising that it has an offline mode in the store. Also considering "steam" players have access to it. Every time I try and open the game without an internet connection it pops up...
  9. I need to know if I can install a "Xbox series X" offline and still be able to play it

in XBoX Games and Apps
    I need to know if I can install a "Xbox series X" offline and still be able to play it: Hey. I don't have internet and I own a Series X. So basically, I just wanted to know if I were to buy a Xbox series X game disc, like Dead Space remastered that says only "Xbox series X" on it,...
  10. If I purchase a digital game on Xbox one UK, will I be able to play on xbox series X ?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    If I purchase a digital game on Xbox one UK, will I be able to play on xbox series X ?: If I purchase a digital game on Microsoft will I be able to play on xbox series X & Xbox one ? 2c834b64-66df-4b2c-82df-647d36b61ec7