When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

Discus and support When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset... in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by thalidomeid, May 9, 2024.

1. thalidomeid
    thalidomeid Guest

When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing players to use spatial sound cues (direction of approaching footsteps, incoming fire, falling grenades) for situational awareness.

Xbox Series X|S also allows gamers to attach monoaural chat headsets in order to communicate with other gamers, either for tactical coordination with teammates or banter with opponents.

The problem is that these two sitiations cannot co-exist, and Microsoft bills it as a feature rather than the bug that it is. When wired monaural chat headsets are connected to the 3.5mm jack on the controller the console will automatically switch speaker output to Stereo uncompressed or Heaset format, disabling surround sound.

This has been a known issue since 2020, and Microsoft's provided workaround of "JuSt ChAt On Da XBOX aPp On Ur PhOnE oR pC," is especially insulting considering the console's price of $650 CAD.

Please push an update that preserves surround sound functionality when a chat headset is attached.

Original locked threads are here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ks-dolby/805ee145-edb1-4d45-b761-a9986f3ad2cc

and here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...d/74f8c26f-5b83-47f2-835c-8c760a443ecb?page=1

There has been an ongoing issue for all Xbox One and newer users where if you output HDMI audio (Dolby Atmos via bitstream) to your surround sound system, it breaks when you hook up a mono headset to your controller. Up until recently (~Dec2020 console update), you could still use Dolby Digital out via Bitstream (or uncompressed 5.1/7.1 - bitstream no longer listed in the UI, but I assume bitstream is the method) when the headset was plugged in, but the December 2021 Xbox system update broke Dolby Digital and uncompressed 5.1/7.1 as well. Now when playing with friends, I am relegated (as is everyone else) to stereo output from the Xbox to my sound systems. This happens on both my One X and my Series X. In fact, there is now a new pop-up in Audio settings when you plug in any headset that states that your audio experience is now enhanced for headsets - meaning they don't give a damn that you potentially spent thousands of dollars on home theater. Dolby Digital and Atmos are still visible in the audio out drop down, but they don't work - usually get some bogus error about having an HDMI audio connection.

:)

thalidomeid, May 9, 2024
  2. XBF John Win User

Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX

Thank you. And to be clear so that I can make sure I am understanding correctly, the behavior you're expecting is that when plugging in a mono headset it is for not just chat but to pass game and chat audio to the headset? or is the mono headset only meant to pass chat while the surround sound system continues to cast game and console audio and is switching the TV/Surround sound audio from its settings? Thus when unplugging the surround sound system works as intended but does not work as intended when a mono headset is plugged in.

With the sony headset are you trying to pass all sound through the headset? or through the headset and the surround sound system?

Thanks,

John
  3. Eric Sauco Win User

Chat adapter??? More money out of my pocket...

Not only that but the chat adopter is buggy/missing feature. There is crackling sound that you can hear when everything else is quiet like navigating though the dashboard screen. Also the adapter is also only in stereo so any surround sound headphone that
    is plug in the controller won't get surround sound (it is rumor that the Turtle Beach XO headset suppose to be surround sound and that why they are overprice). If you want a console that doesn't have all this set back and bs then go get a PS4. The Xbox One
    brand name does fit well for this console, because we went backward in features.
  4. Dirasyaj X Win User

Tritton Warhead™ 7.1 Wireless Surround Headset x 2

5. PalZer0 Win User

Does Xbox One support standard 3.5mm headset

Hi GeoffBuck.

-

Currently, there's no official support for third party headsets and adapters for Xbox One. Some existing headsets will work but will have some features missing (typically surround sound and voice chat).

-

What headset do you have?
  6. sagggas Win User

Unable to use chat headset and HDMI surround sound on OneX and SeriesX

Hi John,

I've pasted your most recent here and replied in green.

Thank you. And to be clear so that I can make sure I am understanding correctly, the behavior you're expecting is that when plugging in a mono headset it is for not just chat but to pass game and chat audio to the headset? No, ideally, only chat audio goes to headset, but I'm ok if game and chat come thru as long as the current game/chat balance slider is available. I move the slider all the way to chat so no game audio comes thru the headset.

or is the mono headset only meant to pass chat while the surround sound system continues to cast game and console audio and is switching the TV/Surround sound audio from its settings? Like I mentioned above, I'm flexible with how it's implemented. The main requirement is that if any headset is plugged into the controller, it does not automatically turn off audio out via HDMI to my TV/Surround. Plugging in a headset should still allow Dolby Digital, DTS, Atmos, etc. to flow thru HDMI via ARC, eARC, or direct to a receiver.

Thus when unplugging the surround sound system works as intended but does not work as intended when a mono headset is plugged in. I don't understand this comment. The Xbox does not work as expected when a headset is plugged in because surround sound is no longer passed out via HDMI. If no headset is plugged in, the Xbox will pass surround sound out via HDMI as I expect it to.

With the sony headset are you trying to pass all sound through the headset? or through the headset and the surround sound system? I don't use the Sony headset normally. I only tested it so I could provide you an additional data point and to demonstrate that the Xbox turns off HDMI audio out whenever ANY headset is plugged into the controller.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions or comments.
Thema:

1. When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset... - Similar Threads - Microsoft fix feature

2. How to fix my X Box warranty incorrectness in microsoft account

in XBoX on Windows
    How to fix my X Box warranty incorrectness in microsoft account: How to fix my X Box warranty incorrect details in microsoft account. I tried talk to agent but it always shows please try after some time. Please do the needful. Regards [mod removed - personal...
  3. Fix your system Microsoft!

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Fix your system Microsoft!: Tell me why Microsoft has went down the drain huge in the last few years and getting faster than ever at it. I left Playstation forever because of customer service and xbox is getting very close...
  4. Why Microsoft don't fixing there servers

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why Microsoft don't fixing there servers: I know it's not my problem with this my xbox working fine and other app working fine Internet connection fine but my games sometimes take long time to download and sometimes stops without any...
  5. Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?

in XBoX on Windows
    Why are the controllers such a scam and does Microsoft plan on fixing them?: I have gone through so many Xbox controllers with stick drift it is ridiculous. I purchased the Xbox Series S just to have my controller conveniently get stick drift exactly 1 month after the...
  6. How to fix my overheating Xbox Series X and/or get Microsoft support to contact me!

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to fix my overheating Xbox Series X and/or get Microsoft support to contact me!: I have an Xbox Series X with an overheating problem, it regularly turns off and won't turn back on unless I leave it unplugged overnight. A similar issue occurred when I first bought it 9 months...
  7. Xbox/Microsoft don't want to fix update bug.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox/Microsoft don't want to fix update bug.: Look I'm going to go left field and say I'm very disappointed with Microsoft and how they're not fixing these major bugs that constantly happen. The main bug I am having and it's been happening...
  8. now that the Xbox b@n exploit is a credible thing what is Microsoft going to do for a fix ?

in XboX Insiders
    now that the Xbox b@n exploit is a credible thing what is Microsoft going to do for a fix ?: The YouTuber Nick (@GhillieYT) claims he was targeted by this exploit and was falsely b@nned for one year. What can players do to protect themselves against this ? While still unconfirmed by Xbox,...
  9. Are Microsoft going to fix Xbox Series X wifi issues or not?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are Microsoft going to fix Xbox Series X wifi issues or not?: Live in apartments, should have at minimum 20 different wifi connections listed, currently have 0. This is an everyday occurance and blaming everybodies routers and isps is getting old. I have...
  10. How much will microsoft charge me to fix my broken power button on a second gen xbox one?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How much will microsoft charge me to fix my broken power button on a second gen xbox one?: I have two problems I have a Xbox one with a broken power button and it needs replaced. how much will Microsoft charge me to fix it? f5f243a5-1f00-492e-b0d4-6a84d59d0133