When is Microsoft going to expand button mapping for 3rd party controllers for Xbox

Discus and support When is Microsoft going to expand button mapping for 3rd party controllers for Xbox in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Email from Fanatec: Thanks for reaching out to us. Functionality on Xbox consoles is limited by the Xbox OS. Our Xbox-licensed Steering Wheels have... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by TheMDC, Mar 8, 2024.

1. TheMDC
    TheMDC Guest

When is Microsoft going to expand button mapping for 3rd party controllers for Xbox

Email from Fanatec:

Thanks for reaching out to us. Functionality on Xbox consoles is limited by the Xbox OS. Our Xbox-licensed Steering Wheels have almost the same number of usable inputs as the standard Xbox controller (gamepad). Only the 'LS' and 'RS' (clickable sticks on the Xbox gamepad) are not accessible. When you connect an Xbox wheel to a compatible Fanatec Wheel Base, all connected Fanatec hardware becomes detectable by the Xbox, i.e. the wheel base itself, the pedals, the shifter, and the handbrake.

Some of our wheels have many additional buttons and switches that you don't find on a gamepad; these inputs are either mapped as duplicates of normal gamepad buttons or have no function on Xbox. Microsoft is in the process of opening up the Xbox OS to support more features of third-party input devices in the near future.

If you have any further questions or if there's anything else we can assist you with, please feel free to let us know.

Have a nice weekend, and take care!

Best regards / Freundliche Grüße

Adrian

(Fanatec Support Team)

My question is when? And not just for Forza, but for all racing games. Microsoft is letting Sony walk all over them right now in terms of 3rd party support. Right now you can use a licensed Xbox wheel from Fanatec and do more with it on a PlayStation than you can on Xbox.

Only reason I can think why they haven’t is greed. Xbox expanded mapping for their $150 controllers because I guess $500 wasn’t enough for Microsoft to give consumers a simple feature on their stock controllers.

If someone from Microsoft can give me a better reason why, I would love to know.

:)

TheMDC, Mar 8, 2024
  2. SwordofWhedon Win User

extended button inputs are available to any developer that wishes to work with the game developers to implement them. This has been the case since the original Xbox and steel battalion, which featured about 50 buttons and switches, many of which lit up and blinked

For whatever reason fanatech does not want to work with Forza to implement their drivers. Custom controller drivers must be implemented into each individual game that supports them, otherwise you get what they describe, you are limited to the basic controller input

You need to ask fanatec to work with developers to implement their drivers. This is entirely in their control
  3. Joey_Microsoft Win User

How to disable xbox360 controller in Windows 10?

Thank you for the response. The issue is that Windows does not provide any options to map the controller, its mapped to a default profile. When i use 3rd party software to map my controller specific to my game the buttons I've mapped still
    have the default profile. This causes two keystrokes to be entered as i push one button.

Here is the issue again.

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us...ndows-10/d2239206-1d32-42a6-b9a6-d6405b9dc984
  4. The Kleaner Win User

Disable Xbox Controller Buttons…Again as a default function

Hello Sun,

Thank you for your reply.

1. Currently in the consoles settings you can choose the 4th option down, devices & connections.accessories..

2. From there select the first option, accessories.

3. This takes you to the Xbox Accessories menu.

4. Select “controller - configure.

5. You will be brought to a screen in which you can swap/change button functions.. For example, my profile is currently set to reverse the functions of my ‘B’ button and my stick click. When I click my right stick button, it registers as a ‘B’ button push.

Note, this function works, No problem.

Request/Problem - DISABLE BUTTON FUNCTION.

1. Settings will let you change/swap button functions but you CANNOT DISABLE a button function in its current state.

I have owned an Xbox elite v1 controller and 3 elite v2 controllers unfortunately they kept breaking so I’ve retuned them all. However, I want to point out. While using an elite controller, if you go to the Microsoft accessories tab YOU CAN DISABLE buttons on an elite controller.

I remember being able to disable button on standard controllers before the elite v1 was introduced. When I asked this same question a year ago, the independent advisor told me the same thing. This used to be a standard function. When he checked for the ability to disable buttons he was really surprised, it was gone.

Since returning all my Elite controllers I’ve replaced them with 2 Microsoft authorized/certified PRO controllers. A razer Wolverine and eswap-s controller. If team Xbox and Phil Spencer want to keep this function/ability exclusively for ‘Pro’ Controllers that’s fine, but be fair about it. I’ve bought multiple 1st party controllers that (I could disable button s) but had issues and they failed very quickly. I’m still investing in ‘Pro’ controllers that are authorized 3rd ’party products. Why don’t your 1st and 3rd party Devi es have parity? Both 1st and 3rd cost about the same,…in some cases the 3rd party is actually more expensive.

To summarize.

1. Xbox 1st party elite controller can disable and/or swap button presses.

2. Xbox Standard 1st party controllers can swap functions but not doable them.

3. Authorized Xbox 3rd party controllers match 1st party standard controllers. They can swap/change button functions but not disable button functions.

4. Authorized Xbox 3rd party ‘Pro’ controllers are restricted to the same function as 1st and 3rd party standard controllers. They can only swap button functions. There is no way to disable button function.

The ability to disable button functions used to be a standard feature, for all controllers. All I’m asking is to have the ability to disable buttons be added back into the controller menu. If team Xbox want to keep that ability restricted to pro controllers, that’s fine but don’t penalize/exclude 3rd party controllers. As I mentioned, some 3rd party controllers are more expensive than the elite.

I’m just asking to get back what originally was a standard function for ALL CONTROLLERS a few year back.

Please add the ability to DISABLE BUTTON FUNCTION back into the hands of the players.
  5. Bookt Win User

Push to talk?

I am not sure this would work, as in most games on Xbox all of the controller buttons are utilized. An inline push to talk button could possibly be integrated into 3rd party headsets or even a Microsoft branded headset. I do not see this being a controller
    button though.
  6. Joey_Microsoft Win User

How to unmap xbox360 controller in Windows 10?

M3tal Daz3, i really appreciate your response. But turning off the controller is not my issue and i understand that there is no support or options
    from Microsoft Xbox or Windows to resolve my issue. I do hope that in the future this will be fixed.

Currently my controller when plugged into my pc will install the drivers and automatically map the buttons.

The controller can be used in games that normally dont support external controllers but i also found that it will work for minor functions in the Edge web browser.

Im having trouble with the way these buttons were automatically mapped because there is no way to un-map or customize the buttons to keystrokes. I've only come across Xbox Accessories software to swap the buttons around.

This is a problem because i can just use 3rd party software to map the controller the way i want, but the defaulted mapped profile that was automatically set up will interfere with the custom map profile i set up. This makes all mapping software completely
    unusable because of the default mapped buttons

There are no xbox controllers i can use and no 3rd party software i can use where normally i could.

I am specifically asking for anyones experience with a workaround for this issue. My only option right now might be to roll back my updates to before the xbox controller support. Where or how far that might be, i have no idea?

If anyone has any suggestion other than that, i would greatly appreciate it. This is a hackathon, i am not looking for ethical or straight forward settings because i know there are none.

PS: Thank you for the Feedback Hub link, i think that might be my only option in this forum and the only real response to this issue.
Thema:

1. When is Microsoft going to expand button mapping for 3rd party controllers for Xbox - Similar Threads - Microsoft going expand

2. Microsoft keys-to-go not charging

in XBoX on Consoles
    Microsoft keys-to-go not charging: Hi! I’ve had my microsoft keys-to-go keyboard for a year now and today I discovered that the charging light does not blink when plugged to the charger and just lights green as if it was fully...
  3. now that the Xbox b@n exploit is a credible thing what is Microsoft going to do for a fix ?

in XboX Insiders
    now that the Xbox b@n exploit is a credible thing what is Microsoft going to do for a fix ?: The YouTuber Nick (@GhillieYT) claims he was targeted by this exploit and was falsely b@nned for one year. What can players do to protect themselves against this ? While still unconfirmed by Xbox,...
  4. Are Microsoft going to fix Xbox Series X wifi issues or not?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are Microsoft going to fix Xbox Series X wifi issues or not?: Live in apartments, should have at minimum 20 different wifi connections listed, currently have 0. This is an everyday occurance and blaming everybodies routers and isps is getting old. I have...
  5. I'm logged in to my Microsoft account on Minecraft. I want to go to Servers to play with...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    I'm logged in to my Microsoft account on Minecraft. I want to go to Servers to play with...: I just bought Minecraft on my new Nintendo Switch. I'm trying to link my accounts, but I'm having trouble doing that. I've been able to sign into my existing Microsoft account and play. However it...
  6. What the hell is going on with the Microsoft Solitaire and Casual Games and the ads!?

in XBoX on Windows
    What the hell is going on with the Microsoft Solitaire and Casual Games and the ads!?: I am able to sit through your 30 second unskipable ads, I can wait, let the ad finish, and then click off of it and get to playing whatever game I want. But what in the absolute hell is going on...
  7. How do i go about reporting someone through Xbox live/Microsoft

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How do i go about reporting someone through Xbox live/Microsoft: How do i go about reporting someone through xbox live when ever i report someone for randomly harassing me for no reason and being purely unsportsmanlike, all because they lost. bringing loved...
  8. When is Microsoft going to sort out the drift issue on the Xbox One and X Series consoles?

in XBoX on Consoles
    When is Microsoft going to sort out the drift issue on the Xbox One and X Series consoles?: Or is the customer having to fork out £50+ every 18 months for a controller that actually allows the player to control their character part of their business plan? I had to buy a new controller...
  9. when is Microsoft going to address and fix the deleted game bug for BG3?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    when is Microsoft going to address and fix the deleted game bug for BG3?: Just woke up to my whole almost 60 hours deleted. This is in unacceptable, give me my money back, this is little more than theft. 589a9e85-62ae-4935-9b6d-f8077eb88b0c
  10. Well you guys go back to backwards compatibility now that Activision is part of Microsoft...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Well you guys go back to backwards compatibility now that Activision is part of Microsoft...: I was just wondering now that Activision Is part of Microsoft. Will there be a slight chance you will go back to backwards compatibility? 5b7c9945-742b-4228-a2e5-1d481a93ce7a