WD Black external drive only reading as media player

Discus and support WD Black external drive only reading as media player in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have a brand new WD Black external drive. I bought it to move games I’m not currently playing. When I plug it in to the usb port on my Xbox series x,... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CJ Shrop, Aug 15, 2023.

1. CJ Shrop
    CJ Shrop Guest

I have a brand new WD Black external drive. I bought it to move games I’m not currently playing. When I plug it in to the usb port on my Xbox series x, I get a message “media storage ready”. It doesn’t allow me to format for games, and I can’t find it in the device storage list to reformat. How do I get this working so I can free up some space on my internal drive?

:)

CJ Shrop, Aug 15, 2023
  2. TimCleveland1968 Win User

Plilugged it into the back
  3. ngocphi Win User

Where did you connect it

If not.the port In the back that would be why

The front ports are for controllers

This is with any next gen console they reserve.the front for media or.controllers and back ports for storage
  4. TimCleveland1968 Win User

Ive gotten the same thing with the WD P40 drive. I couldn't ever get it to show up to format. I know these drives work. It just will not allow me to format it. Ive connect to my laptop and formatted as exfat and ntfs and the same issue, shows up as media drive and no option to format.
  5. TimCleveland1968 Win User

Me neither. Im still seeking a solution.
  6. TimCleveland1968 Win User

Have you ever been able to get it to let you reformat it?
Thema:

1. WD Black external drive only reading as media player - Similar Threads - Black external drive

2. Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?

in XboX Insiders
    Closed bluray player app then screen went black, what do i do?: I was watching neon genesis evangelion on bluray and i wanted to play gta before my mom got back home and when i closed the app it weny black. I tried pushing the xbox button on the controller ive...
  3. Can I get call of duty black ops 6 on its own with game pass without getting call of duty hq

in XBoX on Windows
    Can I get call of duty black ops 6 on its own with game pass without getting call of duty hq: I have got Xbox game pass ultimate and I want to download call of duty black ops 6 when it releases can I get it on game pass on its own without getting call of duty hq is there anyway when black...
  4. I'm having an issue with black ops cold war

in XBoX Accessibility
    I'm having an issue with black ops cold war: [img] Hello i am having an issue starting up cod black ops cold war it doesnt even let me load into the main menu [img] ill send photos, it tells me i need xbox live. Please help me with this...
  5. Black screen Remote play PC

in XBoX on Windows
    Black screen Remote play PC: When I remote play off my desktop and laptop it gives me an black screen but there's video but there's audio. I played on my phone it works, I've tried on my laptop and desktop and they both give...
  6. Anyway to fix my black screen of death?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Anyway to fix my black screen of death?: My Xbox One will start and load the green logo but just sits on a black screen after that. It will open the three turn off options when I hold the Xbox button on the controller. It also pops up a...
  7. can i download call of duty black ops 6 and hq on microsoft store

in XBoX on Windows
    can i download call of duty black ops 6 and hq on microsoft store: i have the game pass ultimate on pc and i just pre installed the call of duty black ops 6 game but it is only 10mb and i was thinking how do i download the call of duty hq app on microsoft store...
  8. Modern warfare 3 & black ops 6 installation issues

in XBoX on Windows
    Modern warfare 3 & black ops 6 installation issues: I was looking at black ops 6 in the gamepass and it said "manage game with gamepass" so I clicked on it and installed modern warfare 3 and the 1 black ops 6 pack for free but when i open the game...
  9. WD 4TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBPKJ0040BBK-WEWM

in XBoX Games and Apps
    WD 4TB My Passport Portable External Hard Drive, Black - WDBPKJ0040BBK-WEWM: I have a problem with my Xbox Series S console that every time I try to connect my external drive it does not end satisfactorily, always the same problem. I have already tried another one that I...
  10. I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps on disconnecting.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps on disconnecting.: I have a Xbox one and my WD Black P10 external storage device keeps saying it's disconnected and the reconnected and giving me an error code 0x87e1001f when I play a game in my external drive when...