VUDU app failing on Xbox since early March

Discus and support VUDU app failing on Xbox since early March in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I have been grappling with this problem for nearly six months. Xbox support suggested posting to the Xbox forums; not sure whether they meant this or... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Gamewatcher, Nov 5, 2021.

1. Gamewatcher
    Gamewatcher Guest

I have been grappling with this problem for nearly six months. Xbox support suggested posting to the Xbox forums; not sure whether they meant this or another site.

This is fairly exhaustive so please bear with.

In early March, I took an update to the VUDU app on Xbox One X. It introduced a bug where the second thing I tried to watch would fail (no error, just those spinning blue spheres would go on forever). The first thing, whether a trailer, movie, or TV show would work fine. But if I stopped or finished watching something, it would fail.

Since I had two Xbox Ones, I was able to copy the old version of the app (v7.8.49.70) and, apart from annoying nag messages, it continues to work great. I also tested the latest PS4 app and this continues to play videos without issue.

Last month I finally landed an Xbox Series X and learned that Xbox One apps can't be copied to the Series X. All of the apps appear to be Series X native. And, yes, the issue exists on the Series X version of the app and because I wasn't able to secure one at launch or before March (despite many near misses!) I do not have the pre-March version of the app. So now I'm stuck switching to PS4 anytime we want to reliable watch VUDU content.

I have worked with VUDU on several calls and emails (also reported this more than once to Insider support using Report a Problem; my Xbox One X was in the preview program but I have held off on enrolling the Series X in it).

VUDU cannot seem to reproduce the issue. I'm wondering if this is maybe due to my ISP (Comcast Xfinity) or some other external factor - possibly Xbox Live. They keep saying they will escalate to engineering but there is no evidence this has actually happened. I did some traceroute tests for them in July where two servers were reachable and two were not. Today I tried the same traceroute on my iPhone over AT&T 5G and got the same results. So I doubt it's related to that. I've also tried direct connecting my Xbox to my cable modem (removing the router from the mix) and that didn't help. (Also, my PS4 uses the exact same setup and works fine - as does the earlier version of the Xbox app). I'm guessing maybe this has some relationship to failover or error handling code in the Xbox version of the app?

Here is the really odd part. Yesterday, while on a call with VUDU support, I suggested maybe I would test it again before ending the call. Something happened between Aug 30 when I last checked the app) and Sept 1 because suddenly the Xbox app was working fine. I streamed several movie trailers, resumed a TV show I had been watching, and launched a movie. It was all good and stayed that way for several hours. Later that evening, my wife and I watched a TV show we've been binging and when we got to the end of the episode... it went back to spinning. All of the things I had launched successfully earlier in the day suddenly no longer worked.

We were back at Square One.

Or are we? The fact that it worked for awhile with no new app download or any change to our home configuration suggests that the problem was fixed:

due to some configuration change on the VUDU servers

due to some change to the Xbox Live service

or some change to Xfinity Internet servers

Since the traceroute appears to be agnostic of Xfinity, I suspect either VUDU or Xbox changed something and rolled it back last night.

My hope is that others with this same issue find this thread and respond (so I know I'm not alone) and/or Xbox + VUDU engineers see this and help identify what changed yesterday or the day before and then changed back last night. I feel like we're potentially very close as there is evidence that the latest build of the VUDU app on Xbox can work reliably under some circumstance.

Alternately, VUDU could roll back some of their code to what they had pre-March and/or mirror the code approach used for streaming in the PS4 app so that it works again.

:)

Gamewatcher, Nov 5, 2021
  2. MustangNights Win User

Same story as many others here - Xbox Series X, all streaming apps except VUDU work fine. Home internet speed not the issue. Movie constantly pauses and buffers, tells me to downgrade. Got tired of waiting for whoever to fix this. Bought a ROKU Ultra with HDR10 and Dolby Vision (Best Buy currently sells for 69.99); works great!
    Not necessarily true on all other streaming working fine as I also have issues with fox now app. I'll be watching live news and it the screen will fall behind the talk and freeze, if I go to another stream on it and back to the original watching it'll start the stream back up but continues to have issues or eventually crashes to the home screen. It does this multiple times within a short period as well.

Both Foxnow and Vudu apps need looked into. I have far less problems (usually) with Vudu than Foxnow but they can be many as well. Sometimes Vudu works fine for hours and then when I get to a tense seen of a movie it takes 5 or 6 reloads of the app to get it to play without downgrading to SD
  3. latebloomer1960 Win User

Same story as many others here - Xbox Series X, all streaming apps except VUDU work fine. Home internet speed not the issue. Movie constantly pauses and buffers, tells me to downgrade. Got tired of waiting for whoever to fix this. Bought a ROKU Ultra with HDR10 and Dolby Vision (Best Buy currently sells for 69.99); works great!
  4. XBF - Hayabusa Win User

Hello,

If you are still experiencing issues, please submit a report using the Report a Problem feature on your console as soon as the error happens again.

This will help the Xbox team investigate with a deeper understanding of the cause. As long as you don't go to the dashboard, you should be able to share a video clip of the error as well.

Please make sure to add a detailed description of the problem in the Description box. Instructions on how to report a problem: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

The more reports sent, the better.

Thanks,

Hayabusa
  5. MarkClyde Win User

There seems to be a definite issue with the Vudu app on Xbox Series X. I've seen a lot of posts on this and other forums with folks having the same problem. Here's my situation. I have Vudu installed on my Series X, PS5, LG OLED CX TV (living room), Samsung LED TV (bedroom), PS4 (bedroom), Roku (den), PC, Phone, and Tablet. Every device is connected to the same router in the house. Vudu streams well on all except the Xbox. Further more, on the Xbox, I have several streaming services that deliver both HD or 4K UHD and/or Dolby Vision content (Vudu, Movies Anywhere, Netflix, Amazon Prime, Disney+, HBO Max, Hulu, Sling) and all of them stream well, even the 4K Dolby Vision/Atmos titles through the new Movies Anywhere app, Netflix, Prime and Disney+ The only one that doesn't.....is Vudu(so I know it's not the Xbox). I can only get about 4 minutes into a movie when it goes into a buffer for 30 seconds and then tells me that it can't anymore and asks me to keep trying in UHD, or downgrade to HDX or SD If I chose to stay the same it starts an endless cycle of buffering and showing the same message. If I chose to downgrade, it will stream for another couple minutes then start it all over again....even with the lower res. The only way to continue watching the movie in UHD is to quit the app, then restart it....then I can go another 3 or 4 minutes. This is the only app that does this and it does not matter what film you select, it does it will ALL of them. It didn't used to be this way, and it all started the instant the Fandango label started showing up on the VUDU home screen, It also makes no difference whether the Xbox is hard-wired or wireless. It's just Vudu and just on the Xbox. This is a shame really, because when it does work for the few minutes that it does, titles in Dolby Vision and Atmos look and sound absolutely amazing (way better than they do on other apps).....but it's very short-lived. The Series X and OLED CX TV, along with a good 4K stream were designed to work together to deliver a truly astonishing movie experience. I live in a large apartment so when it comes to audio, I have a dynamite set of Astro A50 headphones that really deliver Atmos spectacularly well. I'd say well, maybe I'll just use a different app, but I've purchased so many movies with VUDU, only about half of them are available through other apps. I really need this to work as it should. As for movies that I've purchased on VUDU but also port over to Movies Anywhere, you've got to really pay attention to the STATED quality of the stream between both platforms....what I've found is that if I pay a premium on VUDU for the DolbyVision/Atmos version, the MoviesAnywhere version will often times be just standard HDR with standard 5.1 audio (no DolbyVision, and/or no Atmos). When VUDU actually works (for the few minutes that it does) the quality of the video/audio stream is so much better than other apps (that claim to stream at the same quality). So when VUDU on the XBOX craps out (which is pretty much every-single-time now) I find that if I switch over, and use the VUDU app on the OLED CX TV and run the sound from the TV into the headphones I can actually watch the superior quality that VUDU delivers AND get the audio from the headset without a single interruption. Again, it's just VUDU....and just on the XBOX.
  6. JMast3rPool Win User

Dude, this is specific to Xbox. I have no issues on any other device. The issues include no sound on HDX to error messages that state that I should switch to SD cause my network isn't running fast enough for HDX. This being ridiculous cause I happen to have Google Fiber which is a Fiber Optic High Speed internet running up to 2 Gigibits per second. The plan that we pay for here is 80 dollars for up to 1 Gigibit per second. I have Movie's anywhere which allows for movies to cross between different streaming movie apps. I have played movies at HD on Microsoft movies on my Xbox one S and it plays fine. No sound issues, no issues with consistent HD. Not to mention, I have no issues with doing XCloud streaming, which is literal game streaming, without a slowdown or frame rate issue. If my Xbox can keep up with XCloud then it should have no issue with HDX. Ever since Vudu was bought out by Fandango, it seems this issue became an on again and off again issue. I would literally stop using Vudu if it weren't for the money invested in movies I can't get back. Never had this issue when Vudu was associated with Walmart. Still, the only constant is the app specifically for Xbox. I pay extra sometimes for HDX and expect to be able to enjoy my movies that way on my Xbox. Aside from my phone, I don't have an alternate way to view Vudu. Yet it runs on my phone without a problem. So yeah, I think Vudu needs to work on this once and for all. So darn tired of this.
Thema:

1. VUDU app failing on Xbox since early March - Similar Threads - VUDU app failing

2. vudu app on xbox one x not working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    vudu app on xbox one x not working: help been going on for a long time now ,my xbox one x vudu app doesnt work cant even run 480p starts buffery over an over, tryed all kinds of fixes ,innie one know how to fix?...
  3. Vudu app, movies & tv failing to launch in alpha skip ahead

in XboX Insiders
    Vudu app, movies & tv failing to launch in alpha skip ahead: I have a series x and LG C1, I noticed a few days ago my Vudu app started not launching properly. When I started the app I would get a black screen needing a app restart half the time. After the...
  4. Vudu app no longer works and will not launch

in XboX Insiders
    Vudu app no longer works and will not launch: I have a series x and have a few movies through there app. I'm in alpha skip ahead as well. If we could get this looked at that would be great thanks submitted by /u/GINJABRAD [link] [comments]
  5. Unable to purchase movies in my VUDU app on Xbox Series X. Any Ideas?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Unable to purchase movies in my VUDU app on Xbox Series X. Any Ideas?: For the last few months anytime I go to purchase a movie in the VUDU app through Xbox it gives me an error. The error reads "Try that again. Something happened on our end. Waiting a bit might...
  6. Have to reboot Vudu app after every movie

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Have to reboot Vudu app after every movie: Hello, i have a problem with the Vudu movie app. When i finish tv episode, that I own, the app gets hung up and will not play the next episode. I am then forced to reboot the app, then it works...
  7. Vudu app not working/messed up startup

in XboX Insiders
    Vudu app not working/messed up startup: Vudu app just goes black when I open it until I hit the start button twice. Even when I can see the screen it won’t allow me to log in. Also when I turn the series x on the dash is green and...
  8. Vudu app not opening on Xbox 360

in XBoX on Consoles
    Vudu app not opening on Xbox 360: We've had vudu on our xbox360 for a long time. Recently, it will not open, citing "it is unavailable now, try again later" and there's a network connectivity error. However, our WiFi is working on...
  9. Dolby Vision no longer works in Vudu app

in XboX Insiders
    Dolby Vision no longer works in Vudu app: I normally watch movies in the Vudu app because the Movies & TV app doesn't support Dolby Vision. After today's build Dolby Vision no longer works in the Vudu app, instead it plays using HDR and...
  10. VUDU app stop working

in XBoX Games and Apps
    VUDU app stop working: For the past couple of days I have not been able to use the VUDU app on Xbox one and Xbox one S. Sometimes the App would launch but will get a blank screen other times it will not launch at all. I...