Using WD MyBook or MyPassport Ultra for External Drive

Discus and support Using WD MyBook or MyPassport Ultra for External Drive in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey guys! I'm trying to decide between the MyBook or MyPassport 4TB for my Xbox One. I've read a ton of positive reviews on both and I'm just curious... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by a blazin asian, Jun 27, 2016.

1. Using WD MyBook or MyPassport Ultra for External Drive

Hey guys! I'm trying to decide between the MyBook or MyPassport 4TB for my Xbox One. I've read a ton of positive reviews on both and I'm just curious about the reliability of the two drives for this application. The drive would get a good amount of
    use, and I'm worried that the constant startup and shutdown of the MyPassport might cause wear over time. On the flipside, the MyBook is designed for constant power but that the AC port is just something else that may fail. Let me know and thank you in advance!

:)

a blazin asian, Jun 27, 2016
  2. Need Advice On External Drive

Hi Lakerchickie,

Mighty Miro WD has good info in their response.

I will only add that HD's do not all work the same or response the same to the Xbox One.

I have had more success with using the WD MyPassport Ultra 1TB HD.

*My only suggestion is to not purchase an external HD that needs to use a power plug in addition to USB 3.0

NewBlacksmurf, Jun 27, 2016
  3. btrips
    btrips Guest
    btrips, Jun 27, 2016
  4. maxen
    maxen Guest

This isn't really a Support query, but I'm happy to give my two cents - though it's not a recommendation. The MyBook (larger drive, AC-powered) will probably spin at a higher rate, so games installed there will load faster. The MyPassport though is simply
    more convenient from personal experience - powered over just the USB and much more portable if you ever travel or simply go to a friend's and it affords you the ability to take your installed games with you.

Yes, the AC port is yet another thing that could fail, but your usage would probably be in line with what it's built for anyway.

In the end it comes down to personal preference: for the same storage capacity, the larger AC-powered drives tend to be cheaper, but the smaller one is simpler to set up and keep within your set-up and more portable.

I hope this helps your purchasing decision. Let us know if you have additional questions.

maxen, Jun 27, 2016
  5. SuperSoph_WD
    SuperSoph_WD Guest
    Hey there, @a blazin asian!

You thought right! Portable hard drives like the WD My Passport are not really recommended for constant power-on workload. They regularly spin down and the overload could influence their performance, indeed. The WD My Book, on the other hand, is definitely
    a good alternative if you plan to have it constantly connected to your Xbox console. I'd recommend you check all external options on our website as well. We have
    the WD My passport X as well, which is a portable HDD that is specifically designed to expand the gaming storage on any console. However, it only comes with 2 TB
    storage capacity, so I guess it wouldn't really work for you.

Either way, the most important thing to remember is to always keep a backup of your storage somewhere else as well. Having only one copy of your files located on one storage device only is highly dangerous for your data's integrity. Regardless of brand or
    model, any hardware could potentially fail because of various reasons, so better be safe than sorry, right?

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful! Using WD MyBook or MyPassport Ultra for External Drive :)

SuperSoph_WD, Oct 31, 2018
  6. maxen Win User

This isn't really a Support query, but I'm happy to give my two cents - though it's not a recommendation. The MyBook (larger drive, AC-powered) will probably spin at a higher rate, so games installed there will load faster. The MyPassport though is simply
    more convenient from personal experience - powered over just the USB and much more portable if you ever travel or simply go to a friend's and it affords you the ability to take your installed games with you.

Yes, the AC port is yet another thing that could fail, but your usage would probably be in line with what it's built for anyway.

In the end it comes down to personal preference: for the same storage capacity, the larger AC-powered drives tend to be cheaper, but the smaller one is simpler to set up and keep within your set-up and more portable.

I hope this helps your purchasing decision. Let us know if you have additional questions.
  7. SuperSoph_WD Win User

Hey there, @a blazin asian!

You thought right! Portable hard drives like the WD My Passport are not really recommended for constant power-on workload. They regularly spin down and the overload could influence their performance, indeed. The WD My Book, on the other hand, is definitely
    a good alternative if you plan to have it constantly connected to your Xbox console. I'd recommend you check all external options on our website as well. We have
    the WD My passport X as well, which is a portable HDD that is specifically designed to expand the gaming storage on any console. However, it only comes with 2 TB
    storage capacity, so I guess it wouldn't really work for you.

Either way, the most important thing to remember is to always keep a backup of your storage somewhere else as well. Having only one copy of your files located on one storage device only is highly dangerous for your data's integrity. Regardless of brand or
    model, any hardware could potentially fail because of various reasons, so better be safe than sorry, right?

Best of luck! Hope I was helpful! :)

8. NewBlacksmurf Win User

Need Advice On External Drive

Hi Lakerchickie,

Mighty Miro WD has good info in their response.

I will only add that HD's do not all work the same or response the same to the Xbox One.

I have had more success with using the WD MyPassport Ultra 1TB HD.

*My only suggestion is to not purchase an external HD that needs to use a power plug in addition to USB 3.0
  9. Atomic Sh0cKer Win User

External Storage keeps disconnecting

Add me to the list with this problem. I have two external drives.

One labled AAA - a Seagate

Second labled GwG - A WD MyPassport Ultra

Only reason I have two is to make game browsing easier, cause who wants to scroll to the right FOREVER!!!!!

The seagate works perfect, the WD is hit or miss. Sometime the XBOX one sees the drive, sometimes not. If the ONE does see the drive after awhile paying a game from the drive the game will crash and drive dissapears. Same thing with game transfers, or
    game updates to the WD. It will fail after awhile and drive is gone.

Really a PITA to download all the game again. Have done so twice already as I ran the WD disc utilities and drive came back fine. ARGH!!!!
  10. LandLgamer Win User

Need more storage

Thema:

1. Using WD MyBook or MyPassport Ultra for External Drive - Similar Threads - Using MyBook MyPassport

2. Recording in game voice using game bar

in XboX Insiders
    Recording in game voice using game bar: Is it possible to make game bar only record my voice input when using in game voice chat, rather than recording all input ? submitted by /u/s3cy7 [link] [comments]
  3. Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?: Recently bought a Razer Blackshark v2 X usb mic for my Xbox. Didn’t realise it was usb until after I had bought it. I was wondering if there is any possibility at all that I can use it with my...
  4. Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do i keep getting item you’re trying to use appears to be corrupt. Try uninstalling and...: For some reason when ever i try to download my call of duty black ops games they don’t wanna download on my external storage they download to my xbox but not my external storage all my other games...
  5. I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…

in XBoX on Windows
    I Want To Use My External HDD On My Xbox One With My Windows PC However…: I am thinking of using my External HDD that is currently formatted for my Xbox One with my Windows PC. I know the steps of going on disk management and creating a new volume but I was also...
  6. Hello, When I Use Microsoft Rewards, Only Few Gift Cards Appear Because That Happens...

in XBoX on Windows
    Hello, When I Use Microsoft Rewards, Only Few Gift Cards Appear Because That Happens...: Hello, When I Use Microsoft Rewards, Only Few Gift Cards Appear Because That Happens PostData: I am from the United States and I live there 3832f2cc-1a87-497d-bb04-42dc406796ce
  7. Can a normal home inverter be used for xbox series x power backup as ps5 uses specific...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can a normal home inverter be used for xbox series x power backup as ps5 uses specific...: Can a normal home inverter be used for xbox series x power backup as ps5 uses specific sinus wave inverter for the backup c98c1f89-569d-494c-8d8f-1072e12bb841
  8. While using a Xbox 360 hard drive transfer cable can you transfer the hard drive content...

in XBoX on Consoles
    While using a Xbox 360 hard drive transfer cable can you transfer the hard drive content...: Then steel and titanium can I transfer my data off of my Xbox 360 hard drive to the newer Xbox gaming systems with a transfer cable 1d0531f7-9492-4396-8f97-37a494cb9e25
  9. Is there a way for me to buy Elden ring and use it on Xbox and pc?

in XboX Insiders
    Is there a way for me to buy Elden ring and use it on Xbox and pc?: I really want to buy Elden ring, but I want to be able to play it on my pc and Xbox. Is there any way to be able to do that without buying 2 copies? submitted by /u/_Booker_DeWitt_ [link]...
  10. Why minecraft cape didnt appear iam using java but it shows in the micosoft order history

in XBoX on Windows
    Why minecraft cape didnt appear iam using java but it shows in the micosoft order history: Minecraft cape dosen't appear iam using java version of the game but it shows in order history 238572d1-6d0b-4812-80b1-692abcbe9e47