User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004

Discus and support User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004 in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I have been playing Starfield in my console, a Xbox One X, through the Cloud Gaming for a while now and have been having some connection issues in... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Gabriel Mataloun, Oct 13, 2023.

1. User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004

I have been playing Starfield in my console, a Xbox One X, through the Cloud Gaming for a while now and have been having some connection issues in which the game would crash in the middle constantly (probably my terrible internet connection). Then, I would reconnect and play again; no problems.

However, yesterday, my connection fell and I tried to reconnect and the error “User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004” appears once. Ok, tried again, same error and it has been happening ever since. It doesn’t let me get to the main menu.

I’ve already tried hard resetting, clearing the cache, resetting to original settings (both deleting and not deleting everything from my console), connecting and disconnecting my network/ router, etc… and nothing. Same error every time.

Also, it’s not a hard drive problem, since all my other saves from other games are loading. When I try checking my Starfield saves in the “Manage game” tab, no saves appear.

Anyone, please, know how to solve this? It looks like a corruption occurred due to the recurring crashes, but not in my SSD.

:)

Gabriel Mataloun, Oct 13, 2023
  2. Mark_Racicot Win User

I just started having this same problem, except I'm on PC rather than a console. I've been playing on my desktop PC and my laptop since early access was open, and the only 'issue' I've had was about a month ago where I got a message that my save game storage was full and no more saves could be created. I resolved that by deleting all but my last 10 save points. Since then (early November), the game has worked fine on both computers until this morning. The game still launches on my laptop, but on the desktop, I get "User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004". My desktop computer c: drive (where the XboxGames folder is) has 680GB free. I have game version 1.8.86.0 installed, last updated today (4 Dec 2023). I tried the 'Verify and Repair' button, but even after running it and rebooting, I still get the error. The game does continue to open on my laptop... I'm at a loss and am looking for help to fix this issue. Thanks!

EDIT: the sequence of events is that I launch the game via the icon on my desktop. The game syncs files and the opening graphic (the rolling vault door logo) appears, animates, and disappears. The photogenic warning page comes and goes. The planetary background with the star emerging from behind the planet appears and is animated. The text appears at the bottom of the screen: "Press any key to start". I press a key and instead of getting the menu page, I get the error.

EDIT 2: After letting the game sync for an hour from the laptop, I relaunched the game on my desktop... The sync splash box appeared and stayed there for almost 10 minutes before disappearing. The normal startup process happened and I now have my menu options available - no error message. The game launches and everything is fine.

I have no idea why a slow or failed sync on the laptop would leave my desktop with that particular error message, but I guess one thing for people to try - assuming you are playing on two different computers (not consoles) is to...

1. go to the machine that worked most recently and launch the game.
    2. Then quit with an exit to desktop.
    3. Once the game is shut down, from a command prompt, run the two commands:

net stop gamingservices
      net start gamingservices
      The commands take just a few seconds each to execute.
    4. Let the machine stay connected to the internet for 30-45 minutes to ensure it completes any remaining sync actions.
    5. Go to the second computer and launch the game. If prompted to 'log on here', do that

This worked for me - maybe it will help someone else.

GL!
  3. Antony Hernandez1 Win User

When I attempt to clear local games, it turns off my Xbox. I have 700+ hours on this game. This is ridiculous. My gamertag is JockPuppet101
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello Gabriel Mataloun,

We appreciate you going through the troubleshooting steps. Since it is still not working, the problem may seem to be more complicated and require further investigation. We advise that you contact our live support team. It's advisable to work with them due to the complexity of the issue, as they have the tools needed to further diagnose it and give you an efficient solution.

To contact live support, please follow the guide below:

1. Please use this link: Contact us | Xbox Support
      1. Scroll down and look at the lower left side if you can see the page matches the country/region you are currently located.
      2. If not, please select the country/region it is showing and select the correct one among the list.
      3. Make sure to use to check the available contact times of the support.
      4. Select the "Contact Us" button
      5. Select the drop-down menu options that will match your concern.
      6. The next window will provide you with support articles based on your request and we recommend reviewing the relevant articles before selecting the "See contact options" button.
      7. On the final window, you will be presented with multiple options. We suggest selecting either the "Chat online" or the "Request a call" options to speak with someone. Be sure to provide as much detail as possible.
      8. If you cannot get connected to the support, please use the Virtual Agent and enter this exact phrase, "Talk to an agent".
      9. Should you encounter same issue and have an error message please let us know so we can forward your findings to the Internal Support Team.
  5. Gabriel Mataloun Win User

Hello ,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community.

I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing this issue with Starfield on your Xbox One X console. This error code indicates that there is a problem with your cloud save data. To fix this, please follow these steps:

1. Press the Xbox button on your controller to open the guide, and then go to Profile & system > Settings > System > Storage.

2. Select Clear local saved games. This will delete the local copies of your games from your console, but they will still be available in the cloud.

3. Restart your console by holding the Xbox button on your controller and selecting Restart console.

4. Launch Starfield and try to reconnect. It should sync your cloud save data and let you access the main menu.

Please also see: Error 80004004 occurs when you try to access a game saved in the cloud from Xbox 360 | Xbox Support

If this does not resolve the issue, please let me know and I will assist you further. Thank you for choosing Xbox and have a great day.
    Thanks for the reply, but it didn’t work.
  6. Robert Hodges Win User

DONT DO THIS!!!! STOP DONT DELETE YOU SAVED GAME DATA!!! THE XBOX SYSTEM ON PC AND XBOX ARE GOING TO LOAD THE NEWEST LATEST (CORRUPTED) SAVED GAME FILE FROM THE CLOUD EVERYTIME!! THE DATA ON YOUR CONSOLE IS ALL YOU HAVE TO ASK THE DEVELOPERS TO HELP YOU WITH. YOU NEED TO DELETE THE CLOUD SAVED GAME SINCE ITS THE NEWEST AND ITS WHAT IS CAUSING THE PROBLEM, IT TRYING TO SAVE CORRUPTED DATA FROM THE MESSED UP SAVE TO YOUR CONSOLE OR VISE VERSA, MAKING A BACK UP DOESNT HELP EITHER SINCE YOU CANT OVER RIDE SYCHING FROM THE CLOUD SAVED GAME FILE AND USE YOUR BACK UP ANYWAY. DONT PLAY DONT CREATE ANY NEW SAVED GAME DATA UNTILL THEY FIGURE OUT A BETTER WAY TO FIX IT IF YOUV SPENT HOURS ON HOURS LIKE I HAVE PLAYING ONLY TO LOOSE ALL THE HARD WORK. This is now game three for me i can no longer play since microsift encrypt the pc saved data differernt from the pc xbox app data and different from the xbox console. JUST GIVE US ACCESS TO OUR PAYED SOFTWARE FILES MS!!AT LEAST OUR SAVED GAME FILES TO STORE, LOAD, SAVE, MOD IF ALLOWED, AS WE WANT. STOP HIDING THEM SEPARATE FROM THE GAME DATA AND GIVE US A WAY TO DO THE SAME ON XBOX CONSOLES. NO MAN SKY 3,426 HOURS PLAYTIME LOST RUINED THE GAME FIR ME, CHIVALRY 2 MAXED OUT LEVEL 1000, SAVED GAME LOST WONT LOAD CANT PLAY, JUST PURCHSSED STARFIELD LIKE AN IDIOT LOADED IT ONE TIME ON PC, AND BOOM CANT PLAY EITHER ON PC OR XBOX. THIS IS BEYOND COMPREHENSIVE WHY I STIIL GIVE YOU ALL MY MONEY TO HIDE ABD ENCRYPT MY PAYED FOR SOFTWARE DATA, SOMETHING AS SUCH RUINED XBOX FOR ME. IM AFRIAD IT CAN AND WILL HAPPEN TO ANY GAME I PLAY AND LOOSE INTEREST 5 MINUTES INTO STARTING ANY GAME NOW, THANKS.
Thema:

1. User save storage could not be initialized. Error code: 0x80004004 - Similar Threads - User save storage

2. How much does a user have to steal before they are permanently banned?

in XBoX on Windows
    How much does a user have to steal before they are permanently banned?: 2 weeks ago a user hacked into and stole $347 from our account and attempted another $200 before my credit card flagged it as fraud. Xbox assured us the user would be permanently banned yet no...
  3. Why does roblox not allow the user to log back into the same account after Disconnecting by...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why does roblox not allow the user to log back into the same account after Disconnecting by...: I know the roblox 90- day cooldown is a thing but i Accidentally signed out. Of my account on roblox and then tried to log in the same account and i does not work (P.S if its Suppose to stop...
  4. My experience as series s user from Iran

in XBoX on Windows
    My experience as series s user from Iran: Hi Microsoft Ive been using xbox series s for 6 months and these things bother me hope ur TECHs fix them: 1-Im not a terrorist im a citizen in Iran and in this hatred regime i cant change the...
  5. Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Can you guys vacate an inactive user for me?: Hi, I have a few questions regarding about your inactive policy rule for Xbox usernames. I was wondering if you could vacate the user name y66 since it hasn’t been active for 5 years. Get back to...
  6. How Can I become an alpha ring user

in XboX Insiders
    How Can I become an alpha ring user: Hey, I've been using the insider program for more than 1 year. I'm a beta user and I would like to become an alpha one. I'm level 8. Will I become alpha one day ? submitted by /u/Lukas_Smash...
  7. Request for a 'delete cloud save data' option for PC users

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Request for a 'delete cloud save data' option for PC users: I understand that there is no option to delete corrupted save data from the cloud for PC users. This means I am unable to complete The Evil Within 2. If I reset the app, it deletes the local data,...
  8. User switch and game save?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    User switch and game save?: If I switch user on my series x and open a game that a different user was previously playing, why does it then open the other users game save point and ask me to sign in again rather than open it...
  9. SAVE the Xbox One Guide! Bring Custom 'USER' Channels!

in XBoX Games and Apps
    SAVE the Xbox One Guide! Bring Custom 'USER' Channels!: Please Sign the Petition! Click HERE to sign now! Xbox One owners all over the world are complaining about the lack of data being provided to the Xbox One guide! Thousands of Day One supporters...
  10. New Xbox one user. Reading save device?

in XBoX on Consoles
    New Xbox one user. Reading save device?: I am trying to play Call of Duty for the 2nd time. The screen comes on for the game, a message says reading save device. Also it says to the right Press the button with the 3 lines. Nothing...