Upgrading 360 Slim, with Off the Shelf HDD

Discus and support Upgrading 360 Slim, with Off the Shelf HDD in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello everyone, A few years back I acquired a new Xbox 360 Slim (or whatever we are calling the v2 ones). Anyway, when I got it it came with the plain... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by towyomama, Jan 2, 2015.

1. towyomama
    towyomama Guest

Hello everyone,

A few years back I acquired a new Xbox 360 Slim (or whatever we are calling the v2 ones). Anyway, when I got it it came with the plain old 4 GB Memory, which, just isn't going to cut it.

For sometime I have been wanting to upgrade the hard drive and replace my old white 360 with this one one for many reasons. I remember reading awhile back that you could buy a hard drive off the shelf, like at a computer part store, and install that instead
    of having to buy an actual Microsoft stamped drive (which can easily cost twice as much).

The problem is, I can't remember if this violates any ToS or anything along those lines. I thought that with the 360 now accepting USB flash drives, this was allowed, but I can't remember for sure. I also know that you had to buy very specific models of hard
    drives and sizes, but once again can't recall.

So can someone clarify for me, A) am I allowed to use some off the shelf drive, or do I have to buy an "official" drive, and B) if I am, what are the makes/models i am restricted to (I also know there is some process you have to go through if 'A' is possible,
    so help there would be nice)

:)

towyomama, Jan 2, 2015
  2. Chris123WW
    Chris123WW Guest
    60 dollars Gift Card which game should I Get?

halo reach comes with my xbox slim. its the bundle with 250GB HDD halo reach fable3. i am upgrading from the elite pro to the slim.

Chris123WW, Jan 2, 2015
  3. Zer0 G
    Zer0 G Guest
    Anyone running their XBL over power in-line adapters?

[quote user="Doctor Mirage"]I have an older 360 elite (only 40GB HDD, I believe). I didn't think of it before, but I guess upgrading the console to the "slim" might also be a step in the right direction?[/quote]

Slims come with an N adapter built in but the wireless N adapter works just as well with the older models. What is the model of the router?

Zer0 G, Jan 2, 2015
  4. onyxishere
    onyxishere Guest

You can use up to 2 external USB drives at a maximum of 32GB per drive (total storage space 64GB). Anything larger will only store up to 32GB of space.

If you purchase a larger drive and modify it to work on your console then you run the risk of having your console and/or gamertag banned from Live for tampering (they can tell).

I would recommend purchasing an Xbox branded drive from your local gaming store. Try to stay off of sites such as Ebay, Amazon, etc to purchase as a lot of people will put a fake Microsoft stamp on hard drives and pawn them off as official.

onyxishere, Jan 2, 2015
  5. Using hard drives other than the officially licensed devices from Microsoft would be in violation of the Xbox ToS.

So, even if such a modification was possible, its discussion here is strictly forbidden.

You can use a USB Flash drive for extra storage, but it won't have all the same functionality as a hard drive. Some games that require a mandatory install such as the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall, Battlefield 4 and Need For Speed Rivals require an actual
    hard drive to run. You can only use 32GB of storage on a single external drive and you are limited to a maximum of two devices.

Obsessive Power, Oct 31, 2018
  6. Obsessive Power Win User

Using hard drives other than the officially licensed devices from Microsoft would be in violation of the Xbox ToS.

So, even if such a modification was possible, its discussion here is strictly forbidden.

You can use a USB Flash drive for extra storage, but it won't have all the same functionality as a hard drive. Some games that require a mandatory install such as the Xbox 360 version of Titanfall, Battlefield 4 and Need For Speed Rivals require an actual
    hard drive to run. You can only use 32GB of storage on a single external drive and you are limited to a maximum of two devices.
  7. onyxishere Win User

You can use up to 2 external USB drives at a maximum of 32GB per drive (total storage space 64GB). Anything larger will only store up to 32GB of space.

If you purchase a larger drive and modify it to work on your console then you run the risk of having your console and/or gamertag banned from Live for tampering (they can tell).

I would recommend purchasing an Xbox branded drive from your local gaming store. Try to stay off of sites such as Ebay, Amazon, etc to purchase as a lot of people will put a fake Microsoft stamp on hard drives and pawn them off as official.
  8. BootstrapGolem Win User

Have a 4GB Xbox 360 Slim and i have a question

all xbox 360's have upgradable hard drives, the slims just have a different internal hdd from the old 360's.
  9. DadSox Win User

Can I use the HDD of my XBOX Slim 250GB in one XBOX Slim 4GB?

Yes, as long as it is a similar type of HDD (as in they both are used for the XBOX 360 Slim), it does not matter what size GB they are. I used to upgrade the size of my HDD about once a year when they used to come out with the larger sizes for the original
    360. Like I said, as long as they are both for the Slim, you will have absolutely no problems.
  10. CialUK Win User

change of hdd

So will the xbox 360 slim 4gb take a hdd from a xbox 360 slim 250gb? And is the only differences the cases and the hdd capacity in the two slim xboxs
Thema:

1. Upgrading 360 Slim, with Off the Shelf HDD - Similar Threads - Upgrading 360 Slim

2. Xbox app and Microsoft Store app keeps crashing after upgrade of CPU and clean install

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox app and Microsoft Store app keeps crashing after upgrade of CPU and clean install: I was using windows 10 (1903) edition on my core i5 6th gen machine. I bought and installed Microsoft Flight simulator from the store and it worked fine. I upgraded my PC hardware to intel core...
  3. Unable to upgrade xbox wireless headset firmware from windows PC 10/11

in XBoX on Consoles
    Unable to upgrade xbox wireless headset firmware from windows PC 10/11: Hello! yesterday i received my new Xbox wireless headset, but there is no way to execute a firmware upgrade. I am going to use the headset on windows PC or mobile phone, so i have to upgrade by...
  4. Xbox One X SSD Upgrade Issues (OS:25398.4441)

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox One X SSD Upgrade Issues (OS:25398.4441): I upgraded my drive to a SSD of equal size. Ive used the OSU1 offline updater, unformatted, formated (NTFS), different drives holding the OSU1 file. Ive also tried the Xbox One X hdd windows...
  5. Will there be a X box Series X Pro with upgraded Hardware and performance?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Will there be a X box Series X Pro with upgraded Hardware and performance?: I’m sure you are aware of some of the social media outrage over the new speculated X Box. As someone who is planning to join the X Box community soon I am sort of disappointed in the leaks. This...
  6. To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...

in XBoX on Consoles
    To upgrade yourself on the upcoming digital series x as the xbox gamer or stick with the...: To upgrade yourself as the xbox gamer on the upcoming digital series x or stick with current series x the one with the disk drive? What I should do on this case or the situation on the scenario?...
  7. Is it possible to upgrade my hard drive on my xbox one x to ssd

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is it possible to upgrade my hard drive on my xbox one x to ssd: I have an Xbox One X which has a hard drive that has failed. I was wondering if I could upgrade it to an ssd as I tried going to repair shops and they are charging more than $200....
  8. Upgrading to gig internet breaks series x and s network performance

in XBoX on Consoles
    Upgrading to gig internet breaks series x and s network performance: Hi. I bought a series x and upgraded to gig internet speed. My speeds became slower than before I upgraded. I had my ISP come out over ten times and they found no problems on their end. I have...
  9. why is my code for upgrade from game pass core to ultimate NOT WORKING

in XBoX on Windows
    why is my code for upgrade from game pass core to ultimate NOT WORKING: I redeemed reward points so I could change from game pass core to game pass ultimate has NOT WORKED on xbox showing in my order history states its done but it has NOT when I go onto my xbox one...
  10. How do I upgrade my Xbox from a IPv4 to the recommend IPv6?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I upgrade my Xbox from a IPv4 to the recommend IPv6?: How do I upgrade my Xbox from the IPv4 to the recommend IPv6? 1519e489-a9a8-4f83-9b61-3b0e14068cbc