Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

Discus and support Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Unable to Connect to PC The Issue When wired in using the USB-C cable that came with the brand-new... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Lawrence2010_15, Feb 8, 2024.

1. Unable to Connect wired in with USB-C to PC with Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2

Brand New Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 Unable to Connect to PC

The Issue

When wired in using the USB-C cable that came with the brand-new controller, the Xbox Elite Controller Series 2 is not detected reliably on Windows PC.

I do not hear the sound effect chime that a USB device is plugged in.

If it does manage to connect to my PC when wired in, it only last briefly for less than a few seconds.

Such as, I was able to click through to the onboarding tutorial steps on the "Xbox Accessories" app up to the point where you get to name the controller.

At worst, it just flickers on showing the first page of the tutorial and then disappears immediately afterwards.

Since I can't plug in the controller, I can't program the back pedal buttons.

Additionally, I can't update the firmware on the controller, since it does not allow it to be updated wirelessly via the Xbox Accessories app.

I do not have an Xbox series X|S console to test if I could plug in this controller there.

Additionally, when attempting to wire the controller in with the USB-C cable;

The device does NOT show up in Device Manager, nor any failed to connect devices errors showing up.

The device does NOT show up in Game Controllers. (Setup USB game controller, that status window)

If I connect a Playstation 5 Dualsense controller in, it shows up fine. So, it is not a USB-C wire issue, nor is it a USB port issue with any loose connection.

The Dualsense shows up in Device Manager, under Human Interface Devices as "HID-compliant game controller"

The Dualsense shows up in the Game Controllers, as "Wireless Controller"

Steps taken

1. Check for Windows Update and install any updates to Windows and Reboot PC
    2. Open up the Xbox Accessories app
    3. Plug-in controller to PC with the USB-C cable provided to charge the controller until it shows a solid white light
    4. Ensure no active Bluetooth connections are enabled on other devices so the controller does not mistakenly connect to it.
    5. While STILL plugged into PC, press the Xbox logo button to turn on controller.
    6. Xbox button is blinking, Xbox controller profile light shows default profile 1 is selected, and unable to secure a connection to PC.
    7. Power Cycle off the controller by holding onto the Xbox logo button for 5-10 seconds until all the lights are off.
    8. Unplug it from the USB-C cable. Wait a minute with the controller still powered off.
    9. Press and hold the Xbox logo button until the controller powers on and lights up. (Xbox button is blinking and profile light is on)
    10. Plug in controller with USB-C cable to connect to PC.

now one of two things can happen, A) unable to detect the controller OR B) detects the controller but loses connection immediately after a few seconds

I repeated steps 1 to 10 doing minor changes, but nothing helped. Such as, switching to the default controller profile by holding down on the profile button so it switches to the default buttons layout (Default layout would have no profile light would be displayed)

Key takeaways;

• The Xbox USB-C cable is fine, it is able to transfer data GBs of photos when used to connect my phone to PC, and able to work fine when connecting a Playstation 5 DualSense controller to PC. (I've used other USB-C data capable cables as well to ensure it isn't a defective one from Xbox)
    • The PC USB ports are fine, and just to ensure that it isn't a bad or loose connection to the port I've attached it to different ports, as well as the back ports directly on the motherboard.
    • Controller is ABLE to connect wirelessly via bluetooth
    • Controller is UNABLE to connect to PC when wired in with a USB-C cable
    • Controller is fully charged to 100% battery power

shows up as 100% battery life on the Game Bar app when connected via bluetooth (has been plugged in overnight for more than 12 hours)
    • Controller shows up with the tutorial on the Xbox Accessories app, onboarding steps going through naming the controller.

(only shows up briefly when wired in, loses connection in less than 30 seconds)
    • Controller buttons are fully functional, when playing wirelessly, and displays the correct button press when doing the test on the Xbox Accessory app.

Hardware and Software Version Specs

I primarily using this on my Windows 11 Pro PC but I have tested it on other PCs to have the exact same issues.

PC#1 OS: Windows 11 Pro version 23H2 OS Build 22631.3007

PC#2 OS: Window 10 Pro version 22H2 OS Build 19045.3930
    PC#3 Microsoft Surface Go 2 OS: Windows 11 Home in S mode version 23H2 OS Build 22631.3007

Controller: Xbox Elite Series 2 Wireless Gaming Controller

Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2 (microsoft.com)

Manufacturer Model No. Part FST-00001
    Model 1797,1924 (numbers shown on box)

Lot # 2209

Xbox Accessories application version 2310.2310.170002.0