Turn off HDMI output while streaming to Windows 10?

Discus and support Turn off HDMI output while streaming to Windows 10? in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; Hello. I'm trying out streaming for the first time, and I'd like the option of switching between that and HDMI output. My issue is that I don't want... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Phoenix2518, Nov 20, 2018.

1. Phoenix2518
    Phoenix2518 Guest

Hello. I'm trying out streaming for the first time, and I'd like the option of switching between that and HDMI output. My issue is that I don't want both at the same time, since there's no point displaying on my desktop monitor if I'm streaming to my laptop
    at the moment. Is there any way to automatically turn off HDMI output while streaming? Or at least turn it off manually in Settings without having to physically unplug the cable?

:)

Phoenix2518, Nov 20, 2018
  2. RKangel
    RKangel Guest
    Xbox One to Windows 10 Streaming Questions

I solved this by having two outputs from my cable box. HDMI to the XB1 and Component straight to the TV. So if my kids want to watch TV I switch the input over to Component and they have full control of the TV while I am streaming games from the XB1.
    I can also turn off the tv and stream without a problem. It will initially turn on when I boot up the XB1 but I just turn it off after it starts.

Then I can also watch TV while grinding my RPG games Turn off HDMI output while streaming to Windows 10? :)

RKangel, Nov 20, 2018
  3. Xbox One Streaming to Win 10 - No audio unless TV turned on

I'm using the streaming feature to game in my office while I work. (I work nights, and there's a whole lot of slack time.)

I've got a problem though. If the TV in my living room, where the Xbox One is connected, is turned off, I get no audio. A quick glance at the Xbox One settings shows that this is because both audio options, HDMI and optical, are turned off. (Xbox is using
    an HDMI connection direct to my TV.)

This presents somewhat of a pain in the neck. I'd rather not have to turn the TV on in the living room if I don't have to. Are there any serviceable workarounds here, or do I just have to deal with it? It seems like it would be relatively trivial to add a
    setting to the console to output audio to the network that is only available while streaming.

LoquaciousSage, Nov 20, 2018
  4. XBF Javier R
    XBF Javier R Guest

Hello Phoenix,

We would like to confirm that what you're attempting is being able to have the two devices connected through the HDMI and having the ability to shut down the desktop monitor screen and still be able to view the laptop screen.

Unfortunately, if you're attempting this feat, there are not specific settings for being able to accomplish this as there here is merely a suggestion but if you right click on desktop, click screen resolution you can independently set what each monitor
    is displaying. You can have them mirror each other, set either to be blank, or add a second monitor, so you can watch a movie on one screen and surf reddit on the other.

In doing this, you might be able to allow the monitor to go into sleep mode where the laptop would still be available.

Try this and let us know if this is what you were referencing.

Best wishes!

XBF Javier R, Nov 20, 2018
  5. Phoenix2518
    Phoenix2518 Guest
    Hi, thanks for the response. That's not quite my situation. I have an HDMI connection to my desktop monitor, and my second connection is a wireless stream to my laptop through the Xbox app. I don't have a wireless connection between my laptop and my desktop,
    so I can't influence settings remotely on my desktop monitor. I was hoping there was some way of having the stream take priority and disable the HDMI connection.

6. ThorX360
    ThorX360 Guest
    Hi,

as far as I know you can't disable the HDMI connection while you are streaming on Windows 10. Usually I manually turn off the TV or change the HDMI input to solve this issue.

I think, however, that it could be useful so it would be great if you submit this idea here: Xbox Ideas, powered by UserVoice

ThorX360, Nov 20, 2018
  7. Christyna64
    Christyna64 Guest
    Christyna64, Nov 20, 2018
  8. Phoenix2518
    Phoenix2518 Guest

Yeah, it sounds like a bit of an oversight. Alright, will do.

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

9. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    Just so I don't misunderstand your setup:

You have a Xbox One console that is connected to your desktop monitor via HDMI, right?

And you are streaming to the Xbox App on your Laptop?

So you want the Xbox console to turn off it's HDMI output to your desktop monitor?

While there is no setting on the console to disable the HDMI (neither manually nor automatically), you might want to try to suggest that feature on
    Xbox Ideas, powered by UserVoice and have other people vote on that idea. If it is of interest to enough people, that feature could then actually be implemented.

As for a solution to your current issue: Is there a specific reason why you need the output to your desktop monitor disabled? Can't you just turn off the desktop monitor while you stream? Or choose a different input so the screen goes blank or shows something
    else?

Or if I misunderstood your issue, can you please describe in more detail what you try to achieve?

Arminator, Nov 6, 2018
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: