Toshiba External Hard Drive spinning up every 60 seconds

Discus and support Toshiba External Hard Drive spinning up every 60 seconds in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Ever since my XBOX One received the October update, my external HD has been spinning up every 60 seconds even though the XBOX is off. The XBOX is set... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by qt12705, Oct 18, 2018.

1. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest

Ever since my XBOX One received the October update, my external HD has been spinning up every 60 seconds even though the XBOX is off.

The XBOX is set to instant on, but it has never caused an issue to the external HD before.

The drive spins up for around 10 seconds then stops, then 60 seconds later does it again.

The only way to stop this is to go into the XBOX settings and choose Full Shutdown, which sort of negates the whole Instant On feature.

Why has this only just started happening and what do I do to stop it? (Surely this can't be any good for the external drive)

Regards

Richard

:)

qt12705, Oct 18, 2018
  2. Nyzs-98F641BE-15A7-418A-BD9A-FE3ABE1B2DCB, Oct 18, 2018
  3. NDWest14
    NDWest14 Guest
    This or that HDD....sorry

I know there is one every day, and fully support this being locked or deleted after it is answered...

2TB Model
    http://www.amazon.com/Toshiba-Canvio-Basics-Portable-Drive/dp/B005J7YBRW/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422456594&sr=1-1&keywords=external hard drive

or

4TB Model
    http://www.amazon.com/Book-USB-Hard-Drive-Backup/dp/B00E3RH61W/ref=sr_1_3?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1422456594&sr=1-3&keywords=external hard drive

My use will be a patrician for XB1 and another for photo backups from my aging iMac

NDWest14, Oct 18, 2018
  4. XBF Paul M
    XBF Paul M Guest

Hiya!

Paul from the Xbox Forums Team here to assist with the issue, it looks like the Console is storing power while using the instant on feature. You're wondering if there is a way to fix or stop this issue without turning off the instant on feature. What I recommend
    doing is performing a
    Power Cycle on the Xbox One
    and see if the issue persists after performing it. If it does still persist what I then recommend doing is a

Soft Factory Reset
    , please be advised that when performing a soft factory reset it does require you to download your profile back to the console. So please make sure you know the account information to apply it back to the console. I hope this information
    helps resolve the issue, please let us know how it goes.

Happy Gaming!

Paul Xbox Forums Team!

XBF Paul M, Oct 18, 2018
  5. There is an option in the power settings to turn off the hard drive when in instant on mode. try turning that option on, and see if that fixes the problem.

StuartATrueRed, Oct 18, 2018
  6. SigmaTheDJ
    SigmaTheDJ Guest
    I am also having this issue, but with a Seagate Backup Plus Hub 8TB.

If I use instant on mode, when the console is off the hard drive turns on, spins up, turns off, spins down and this cycle repeats every 30 seconds or so endlessly. None of the settings related to external hard drives, such as the option to turn off external
    storage when the console is turned off, make any difference.

If I use energy saving mode, when the console is turned off the light on my external goes off, but the drive doesn't actually spin down. It continues to spin indefinitely until I pull the USB cable out of the console, then it will spin down.

Before the latest update, if I used instant on mode the hard drive would only spin up periodically when the console was checking for updates, or if it was downloading something. At all other times it would be off and spun down. If I used energy saving mode,
    when I turned the console off, the hard drive would fully turn off and spin down and stay that way until the next time I turned the console on. I believe that these are the expected behaviours.

I have tried factory resets, using a different USB port on the console, using a different USB cable, and fully formatting the external and starting over. Nothing works.

The external works fine when connected to my PC. Also, I downloaded Seagate's SeaTools application and ran the tests that it offers on my external and it passed them all, so it appears to be in good shape. Given that I only started having issues after the
    dashboard update and that it works fine on my Windows 10 PC, it makes me believe that something related to the update has triggered this issue.

SigmaTheDJ, Oct 18, 2018
  7. I had same problem myself with my Seagate game drive 2tb ever since the October update something to do with the instand-on option. As I no longer have this problem few days ago my external drive was stuck on most of day wouldn't go off as I fully turned
    off my xbox one s than unplugged my drive when came to put it back on it wouldn't my drive wasn't recognised by console and not spinning found out my drive died on my with all my games on it.

stevenstrange2, Oct 19, 2018
  8. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the assistance. To stop the HD from spinning after I posted on here, I switched off "instant on" and turned off the XBOX.

I switched it back on today to try your suggestions and noticed that there were now some game updates to be downloaded.

I left them to install on their own and noticed later that the XBOX had switched off (Instant On is still disabled).

I have just switched the XBOX back on, re-enabled Instant On and turned off the XBOX (using the controller).

"And the issue has gone! No more spinning HD, so I don't actually know what fixed this." THE ISSUE IS NOT FIXED

I was incorrect. The reason that the HD was no longer spinning is because it was no longer known to the XBOX.

When I opened My Apps and Games, all of the games on the external HD were showing as "Ready to Install" instead of "Installed".

I had to unplug the HD and plug it back in.

And now the issue has returned.

I will try the "Reset and keep my games & apps." today and see whether that fixes it.

Richard

qt12705, Oct 20, 2018
  9. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest
    Hi StuartATrueRed, yes this was already set, thanks.

qt12705, Oct 20, 2018
  10. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest
    How do you erase cache? Do you mean have I completely shutdown and restarted, then yes.

qt12705, Oct 20, 2018
  11. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest
    Ok, "reset and keep my games and apps" did not resolve the issue.

I know of 2 other people now who have different external drives but have the same problem.

This is obviously related to the October update.

Richard

qt12705, Oct 23, 2018
  12. Yes, I'm having the exact same problem.

Brian G Stanley, Oct 24, 2018
  13. Toshiba External Hard Drive spinning up every 60 seconds

Under settings thwre is an option to turn off power from the usb when the console is idle or off to prevwnt this stuff!!

HyperVenom523, Oct 24, 2018
  14. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest
    Thanks for the info, but this setting is already set to switch off when the console is off.

Richard

qt12705, Oct 25, 2018
  15. qt12705
    qt12705 Guest
    Hi Paul

As you may have read, I have tried both of your suggestions and the issue still remains.

I have currently disabled instant on until this is resolved to safeguard the life of my external HD.

As other users are also experiencing this, has this feedback been passed to the XBOX team as it has obviously been caused by something in the October update?

Regards

Richard

qt12705, Oct 26, 2018
Thema:

1. Toshiba External Hard Drive spinning up every 60 seconds - Similar Threads - Toshiba External Hard

2. My Xbox one S blinks to a black screen for a second every 10 seconds. On a 4K Toshiba tv. I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox one S blinks to a black screen for a second every 10 seconds. On a 4K Toshiba tv. I...: Toshiba 65 inch 4k tv Xbox one S 847aa633-2e06-4f95-ae88-ee2be65dff31
  3. external storage issues with toshiba

in XboX Insiders
    external storage issues with toshiba: my toshiba external storage is not connecting to the xbox even though the light is on and it’s vibrating anyone know whats up submitted by /u/pineapplejelly69 [link] [comments]
  4. Toshiba usb storage expander not showing up suddenly

in XBoX on Consoles
    Toshiba usb storage expander not showing up suddenly: I have a Toshiba storage expander 2tb connected by usb, for the Xbox series s and it’s been working fine for 4 months suddenly it says it’s not there and not showing up I have done all Microsoft...
  5. Why cant I connect my Xbox series s to my Toshiba tv? It just says input not supported, any...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why cant I connect my Xbox series s to my Toshiba tv? It just says input not supported, any...: I have recently got a tv so my little brother can play Xbox while I do homework but I can not connect my Xbox to the tv, please can somebody help a59523fd-1fe9-49ab-9226-174924f50a64
  6. Series X Strange CEC behaviour - Toshiba TV

in XboX Insiders
    Series X Strange CEC behaviour - Toshiba TV: Hey So I’ve never had issues with my tv and have used CEC for a little while now. I decided to try adjusting the volume for the first time today (from the Xbox) and wow….things went very wrong....
  7. Toshiba L200 2 TB 5400RPM 2.5 Inch SATA HDD

in XBoX on Mobile
    Toshiba L200 2 TB 5400RPM 2.5 Inch SATA HDD: Can anyone please help i need more storage for my xbox one . I want to purchase Toshiba L200 2 TB 5400RPM 2.5 Inch SATA HDD will this hard drive work with the xbox one collective minds external...
  8. HDMI not working with Toshiba Tv?

in XBoX on Consoles
    HDMI not working with Toshiba Tv?: Yesterday I got my uncle's old Toshiba TV and all I want to do is connect to the Xbox so I can play games and watch Netflix. I don't care about the DirecTV or whatever. But I connect the HDMI port...
  9. Xbox one not recognizing full storage amount of Toshiba external hard drive

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one not recognizing full storage amount of Toshiba external hard drive: My xbox one is connected to a Toshiba hard drive. The blue light is flashing. When i go to storage my hard drive doesn’t show ip, only the games stored on the xbox....
  10. Does anyone know the best settings to calibrate Toshiba 4k TV on xbox one X?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does anyone know the best settings to calibrate Toshiba 4k TV on xbox one X?: I’ve been having trouble calibrating my TOSHIBA-4K AMAZON FIRE TV(TOSHIBA_50LF621U19) to my Xbox One X. Does anyone know the best settings for it? The model number is TOSHIBA_50LF621U19....