The PC RGB setting is broken and does not correctly output at Full Color Range when selected.

Discus and support The PC RGB setting is broken and does not correctly output at Full Color Range when selected. in XboX Insiders to solve the problem; I own an LG 27UL600-W 4K 60Hz Monitor which is capable of displaying the full RGB color range at 4K (instead of limited range like most TV's). However,... Discussion in 'XboX Insiders' started by /u/Laeeq117, Aug 18, 2021.

1. /u/Laeeq117
    /u/Laeeq117 Guest

The PC RGB setting is broken and does not correctly output at Full Color Range when selected.

I own an LG 27UL600-W 4K 60Hz Monitor which is capable of displaying the full RGB color range at 4K (instead of limited range like most TV's). However, through my Elgato 4K60 Pro which can use RGB 4:4:4 and the Full color range, I've found that the Xbox Series X does not actually output at full color range when you set the color space setting to "PC RGB" and resolution at 4K. The Elgato reports it as still outputting in the Limited color range. This is why the screen gets so dark, the blacks get crushed, and the "closed eye" in the calibration app can never be seen. When I connect my PS5 and set it to "RGB"', the Elgato reports it correctly outputting in the Full color range. I also noticed that setting the Xbox to 1440p resolution causes it to output at Full color range even when the Xbox is set to the "Standard" color space which should output at Limited color range. I know this has been an issue for a while but hopefully this helps with finding the underlying cause.

submitted by /u/Laeeq117
    [link] [comments]

/u/Laeeq117, Aug 18, 2021
  2. JTF195 Win User

Display Calibration and RGB, black levels

As of the most recent Xbox 360 and Xbox One updates, the problem is still not fixed.

I have my TV calibrated and configured properly. I have tested it with my both my PS3 and PC set to RGB Full and RGB Limited, and my Wii U (which outputs RGB Limited)

It works perfectly with all 3 devices.

On both the Xbox 360 and Xbox One, however, the output from the both the RGB Full and RGB limited options have 16 levels of black crushing and 16 levels of white crushing when the TV is set to the corresponding mode, and only look normal when the TV is set
    to RGB Full, and the Xbox is set to RGB Limited.

I don't have recording equipment, but others have recorded output and tested the black levels in photoshop to verify this issue.

Essentially the problem breaks down as follows:

Black Levels

15-239

- PS RGB Limited option, Wii U, PC RGB Limited output

0-255

- Xbox RGB Limited option, PS RGB Full option, PC RGB Full output

(-16)-271 (values out of range by 16 levels)

- Incorrect Xbox RGB Full option
  3. Sal O Win User

black crush help

Crushed blacks usually happen when the source RGB is set to full/nonstandard and the display RGB is set to limited/standard. You sure you don't have a mismatch in your RGB color ranges?
  4. Zacabeb Win User

Reference Levels and HDMI Color Space Settings

The reason was probably that they didn't care to block that setting, to keep things simple. Remember that when HDMI output was introduced with the Elite, the Xbox 360 only output full range RGB. It wasn't until one of the system updates that they added the
    color space settings.

Before they migrated their framework to Silverlight and botched the behavior, YCbCr would pass video material through unconverted as far as I know (aside from the inevitable conversion between BT.601 and BT.709 when needed). Source would switch between RGB
    and YCbCr, and Auto would go by the E-EDID data to decide on the color space, usually resulting in behaving like the Source setting.

The problem was that with the Color Space set to Source, the Reference Levels setting became a problem. Some displays expected RGB to be full range and some expected it to be limited range. The Xbox 360 didn't always (or maybe never) indicate the quantization
    range correctly in the metadata, and forcing the range on a display to Full or Limited might affect YCbCr input as well - even though YCbCr is implicitly limited range.

As a result, video could become washed out while games looked right, or video look correct but games become murky. Letting everything be output as YCbCr was probably a convenient workaround to make sure everything looked okay, and allow for those without
    insight into color space to be given simpler advice as to which settings to pick.

Many displays convert to YCbCr internally for processing though - often with 4:2:2 chroma subsampling. However, they may also perform the RGB to YCbCr conversion at a greater bit depth than the Xbox 360, giving lesser rounding errors.

Now that the Xbox 360 can no longer pass through YCbCr as-is, but converts to RGB and then back to YCbCr, the setting is of course bad even for video output.

Sony took a more tech-savvy approach, but they probably also took greater care to form a properly flagged signal.
  5. Zacabeb Win User

Xbox Colour Space Explanation?

The improvement most provably has to do with the YPbPr BT.709 setting forcing the Xbox 360 to recalculate the output to limited range levels (16...235), which many tv's expect. When set to RGB and Expanded, the Xbox 360 outputs levels as full range (0...255),
    which causes too high contrast and incorrect midtones unless the tv expects levels to be full range.

Normally the source should indicate to the display whether the output is limited range or full range letting it switch to handle either correctly, but the Xbox 360 doesn't indicate it properly because of bad coding.
  6. M3tal Daz3 Win User

Xbox One S black levels?

TV content is authored such that a value of 16 (on a 0-255 scale) represents full black and 235 represents full white (this color span = “RGB Limited”) and assumes the viewer's TV has been calibrated to show full black upon receiving a pixel value of 16
    and to show full white upon receiving a value of 235. Xbox One is assumed to be connected to a TV (not a PC monitor), and we make our best efforts to optimize video content (movies, TV shows, content authored specific experience for video levels, i.e. "RGB
    Limited"), consistent with CE devices.

Switching to RGB Full will cause loss of visual dynamic range on a properly calibrated TV.

Basically, you should always use the TV (RGB Limited) Color Space display setting on Xbox One. All video content (TV shows, Movies, Blu-ray, DVD, etc.) is authored for (RGB Limited). You’ll actually lose visual dynamic range if you select Color Space = PC
    (RGB Full).

The "RGB Limited" setting could be named more accurately.'

Note they have now changed the name to RGB Standard and PC RGB. If you use RGB Standard then 99% of your "crushed black" problems will be gone

For more info:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/console/adjust-display-settings
Thema:

1. The PC RGB setting is broken and does not correctly output at Full Color Range when selected. - Similar Threads - RGB setting broken

2. How to power on the RGB lights in my wired headset for Xbox series X

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to power on the RGB lights in my wired headset for Xbox series X: The Headset Audio works is there a way to Connect the USB part of the headset cord to the rear of the XBOX series X Controller for power? 1b3a4ce7-9c22-415b-a49b-eb315628f2e3
  3. Xbox button RGB switches back to white after setting a colour

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox button RGB switches back to white after setting a colour: Xbox button RGB on V2 elite switches back to white after setting a different colour. It initially selects and holds the desired colour for as long as that menu is open, but as soon as I go to...
  4. Weird Flickering / RGB Disco / Color Flashing Happening in Particular Games

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Weird Flickering / RGB Disco / Color Flashing Happening in Particular Games: As the topic states. I’ve seen some other topics discussing similar things, but weren’t quite the same. I did try those solutions as well, but to no avail. Here are some clips of what I’m seeing...
  5. Missing Colour RGB home button series 2 controller

in XBoX on Consoles
    Missing Colour RGB home button series 2 controller: My brother purchased me a Custom Elite Series 2 core controller from design labs, today i connected and updated it for the first time and noticed that the green colour for the RGB home button is...
  6. [Delta] Xbox Series X doesn't obey RGB settings when displaying HDR.

in XboX Insiders
    [Delta] Xbox Series X doesn't obey RGB settings when displaying HDR.: Like the title says, I set my XSX to RGB full, and when going into HDR it auto changes to RGB limited. This can be a bit of a problem for displays that do not auto change it's own RGB setting to...
  7. xbox elite controller 2 RGB Led

in XBoX on Consoles
    xbox elite controller 2 RGB Led: Hi I rarely complain about anything but I think microsoft has some explaining to do So after my Warranty had run out I decided to take it apart to fix a tacky right trigger no biggy and i like...
  8. Video Modes / RGB Settings causing input lag? (Rumour)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Video Modes / RGB Settings causing input lag? (Rumour): Hey! I was doing some testing with some friends & we were testing video settings on the Series X. I'm using a Zowie XL2411K @ 120hz. From what I've been told, changing the RGB mode to "PC RGB"...
  9. How to set HDR format in 60hz mode to RGB ?

in XboX Insiders
    How to set HDR format in 60hz mode to RGB ?: When video output is set to 120hz, the hdr format is in RGB. Can this be possible in 60hz? In 60hz the HDR format is in YcBCr 420. Thanks submitted by /u/Swimming_Charge_9823 [link] [comments]
  10. Xbox one - No Option to set tv to rgb limited?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox one - No Option to set tv to rgb limited?: Hi everyone after upgrading my Tv today from a Panasonic viera 37" to a 40" LED I cant seem to set my new tv to rgb limited in the colour space settings. the only options the console is giving me...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. xbox series s colour space

2. Xbox pc rgb fixed calibrate tv