The new UI is awful, how can I modify it with less ads? The entire thing is ads.

Discus and support The new UI is awful, how can I modify it with less ads? The entire thing is ads. in XBoX on Windows to solve the problem; I can't stand this UI. The old one was simplistic but manageable. I can currently only have 2 of my groups on the homepage followed by 9000 ads for... Discussion in 'XBoX on Windows' started by Krysus-[xboxvenue], Aug 16, 2023.

1. The new UI is awful, how can I modify it with less ads? The entire thing is ads.

I can't stand this UI. The old one was simplistic but manageable. I can currently only have 2 of my groups on the homepage followed by 9000 ads for games I usually already own. This UI is a catastrophe of marketing gone wrong.

:)

Krysus-[xboxvenue], Aug 16, 2023
  2. HT-NZ Win User

The new UI is awful, how can I modify it with less ads? The entire thing is ads.

Totally agree with you, Krysus.

The new Home Screen experience
    does have some good ideas in it.
    But there are some major flaws that ultimately make it a real downgrade for many Xbox gamers.
    This has been a major misstep from Xbox and should be put right ASAP.
    It shouldn't have rolled out in this state; the user feedback should have made that clear.
    But it's rolled out now, and it's a mess.
    However - mistakes can be fixed, and there's a chance to learn from these ones now.

First up - it's our Home Screen.
    It should not be full of ads - the home screen is not a web-page; it's not a commercial site.
    It is a personal space (e.g., like a mobile phone's home screen).
    We should be able to clear out things we're not interested in seeing there.

We should be able to put a couple of dozen of our own custom-curated Groups or games and apps on our Home Screen, like we used to be able to do.
    We should be able to easily move things around, until we have them arranged how we want to view and interact with them.
    Like we can on our phones, our PCs, and on the old Nintendo 3DS... we can arrange things in these spaces pretty much as we wish; this is a good thing.

We want this customisation freedom restored on our Xbox Home Screen - to be able display and interact with our digital game collections quickly and efficiently, and enjoyably, like we used to be able to do.

Secondly - did anyone think through the impact of these changes on less technology-savvy users of Xbox consoles?
    How are not-so-technical people supposed to understand what's going on, with the noisy, busy new Home Screen all covered in promotional material?
    I was trying to help a frustrated mother on Facebook last night, who thought that her 7-year-old son had somehow been gifted a Game Pass Subscription by someone, and also the (not-age-appropriate) game Fortnite. She could not figure out how this could have happened.
    I can't imagine too many 7-year-olds being able to successfully redeem the 25-character code for a Game Pass sub without adult supervision, which helped it click for me - she was seeing all the promotions for Game Pass and Fortnite on her kid's Xbox home screen, that hadn't been so prominent, and hadn't been all over the Home Screen previously. This change had made her think that these things were now actually installed and available to her kid, when she'd not had anything to do with this happening. She seemed fairly upset about the situation.

So, this new UI, which so much of the user feedback in early access had suggested was a bad idea... was (and is) a bad idea.
    The chaotic new Home Screen is not welcoming or easily understandable to very casual gamers.
    Nor is it simple and straightforward enough for parents who don't game themselves but want to provide Xbox gaming experiences to their kids.

(Xbox - do you want to send the entire 'family-friendly' gaming market over to Nintendo?
    Because this is how you send the entire 'family-friendly' gaming market over to Nintendo.)

Xbox - you know better than this. And you can do better than this.

Be for the gamers, and make sure that any Xbox 'improvements' are actually for the gamers.
    Forced marketing and Xbox Store spillover all over the Home Screen is not for the gamers,
    Having to wade through ads for games that you're not interested in, or actively don't like, on your own Home Screen... sucks big time.
    This Home Screen mess is all only for your marketing team, and it's seriously off-putting to many Xbox gamers.

It is having the opposite effect than what is desired.
    When something unwelcome is forced on you, in your own space, then there's no way you're buying into it.
    These recent changes are spoiling the Xbox Home Screen experience for many users, and putting us off buying new games and Game Pass subs.

And the Home Screen is where we land, every time we power on our Xbox.
    In many ways, the Home Screen is the Xbox experience.
    You really need to make sure that it doesn't suck.

Putting this right won't negatively impact anyone who enjoys the current Home Screen update.
    But all Xbox gamers win when we all have more choice about how we arrange our own Xbox Home Screens.

Please listen to your gamer base, and urgently fix the Home Screen.
    Clean up the mess, put it all back into the Xbox Store where it belongs.
    (It's okay, we know where to find it when we need it!
    If we didn't, we wouldn't have such large game libraries to display/organise/interact with on our Home Screen!)

Give us back the freedom to make our Xbox Home Screen once again feel like it is our Home Screen.
  3. EzequielNeves19 Win User

Hello Krysus-[xboxvenue] how are you?
    My name is Ezequiel I'm an Independent Consultant. I really understand your frustration, but know that the Xbox interface is still undergoing a lot of changes, any and all feedback is very welcome, I'm sure that soon it will make changes thinking about what's best for the players.
  4. IceStorm III Win User

ADS ADS ADS and more ADS

After using the new interface for a few days, I fail to see how there are "more ads" than before.

In the past, to get to a game you had to move a thumbstick and then click a button. With the new UI, you hit A and you're in-game. You need not move around the UI.

In the past, Advertisements were landmines in the tiles. You had to step through them if you wanted to look at some promotional items. Now, you can directly avoid ever touching them.

In the past, promos occupied the entire width of the screen. Now they are confined to a few boxes, two of which are not used for promos/ads, but your own data.

So, yeah... after using the UI, not seeing the ad issue. Maybe YouTube's different, but I haven't installed YouTube.
  5. UnyoBro Win User

Microsoft will provide more TV-like advertisements through XBox Live.

TV ads are usually awful, this is bad news. Not that the current ads are any good either but I don't wanna see the typical brain dead ads that I see on TV. They need to release an Ad Block app, I'd buy that.
  6. Mota 151 Win User

Introduction To Sir Hammerlock

I love the look of the UI and how the weapon you're using displays on your character. So many little details added that makes me think they nailed it on this sequel. Can. Not. Wait.
Thema:

1. The new UI is awful, how can I modify it with less ads? The entire thing is ads. - Similar Threads - awful modify less

2. Xbox 360 controller on PC - Awful physical movement to in-game movement translation

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 controller on PC - Awful physical movement to in-game movement translation: I have recently bought an xbox360 controller and dongle for my PC but the controller is nearly useless due to the translation between the physical movement of the analogue sticks to the in-game...
  3. EA Play is awful so I canceled my subscription to Game Pass

in XBoX Games and Apps
    EA Play is awful so I canceled my subscription to Game Pass: I wanted to play Dead Space on PC Game Pass but when I went to link my xbox account to EA Play I got this message: Linked Accounts Found Your accounts can’t be linked because your Xbox account...
  4. Xbox app awful download speeds

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox app awful download speeds: I have a 70mbps connection from Ookla speed test, and my Xbox app downloads never go higher than 10mbps. Is there a way to uncap it so it takes less than a few hours to download a game?...
  5. Why is Microsoft Support so abysmally awful?

in XBoX Accessibility
    Why is Microsoft Support so abysmally awful?: Several weeks ago i redeemed all my Microsoft rewards points for 1 month of Game Pass. I never received the reward! I contacted Microsoft support who directed me to the rewards team. I told them...
  6. The new profanity system is awful in my opinion

in XboX Insiders
    The new profanity system is awful in my opinion: Personally I think the whole 8 strikes thing is stupid, and I’ll give a few points as to why I think this. First and foremost, it’s online gaming, who hasn’t cussed each other out over a heated...
  7. My COD AW dlc camos are not working once purchased

in XBoX Games and Apps
    My COD AW dlc camos are not working once purchased: i recently bought the xray camo on Call Of Duty Advanced Warfare and even after installing it it still shows up as locked on the game. I looked around online and i am yet to find an answer any...
  8. Problems with 3 games on gamepass this morning. Microsoft support beyond awful

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Problems with 3 games on gamepass this morning. Microsoft support beyond awful: Humankind disappeared Starfield not syncing on iPad Football manager touch screen not working. And Microsoft support never ever ever calls you back. Jokes ba0f2c73-2db9-4358-ace3-9f70e10916aa
  9. Awful download speeds on xbox app PC?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Awful download speeds on xbox app PC?: Downloading is super slow. Getting around 5 MB. where on Steam and everywhere else I am hitting 200mb+. I reinstalled Xbox app. Reinstalled game services I saw a post where someone said to...
  10. Call of Duty AW Riot Control Achievement Bugged?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Call of Duty AW Riot Control Achievement Bugged?: I've completed on Call of Duty Advanced Warfare (for the Xbox One) the requirement for the Riot Control achievement multiple times & I still haven't gotten the achievement to unlock. I've...