Text chat with USB keyboard is incredibly inconvenient for EVERY game

Discus and support Text chat with USB keyboard is incredibly inconvenient for EVERY game in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; One thing I've been growingly excited about in recent years is the implementation of mouse + keyboard and crossplay with PC. Especially with Quake 1... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by CarlMyers, Oct 13, 2023.

1. CarlMyers
    CarlMyers Guest

One thing I've been growingly excited about in recent years is the implementation of mouse + keyboard and crossplay with PC. Especially with Quake 1 and 2 out, this is bringing me back to the days of Quake 3 Arena on Dreamcast and PS2. I definitely think it has a place in the living room away from your typical computer desk.. but Xbox is making it very hard to enjoy and be as prominent as it could..

For every single game that enables online text chat, Xbox requires you to pick up your controller to open the text prompt, and then a second time to send your message. Even for games where I'm not even playing with a controller. How can we fix this to use only the keyboard to type and send messages?

At first I thought it was Blizzard's doing when Diablo 4 came out. When I'm playing online, I have to navigate menus with the controller to open the on-screen keyboard, then I put my controller down to type my message, and instead of pressing 'Enter' to send message afterwards, I have to pick my controller back up and send the message with the A button. WHY?

This is the case for every game! Quake 2, Call of Duty, Elder Scrolls Online, the list goes on. For christ's sake we have Final Fantasy XIV about to come out and this should be solved across the console as a whole.

I can't tell if Microsoft has never even realized how broken this is or if it's just not possible. I also can't seem to find any other complaints online. Seems like it could be an easy fix. This is something that worked flawlessly on Dreamcast from 1998, and even beyond on Gamecube. I remember playing Phantasy Star Online back in the day and text chatting with a plug-in keyboard was immaculate.

I have no clue if PS5 suffers from the same issue. I feel it needs to be raised to people at Microsoft who could make this change happen. I love using these additional peripherals on the Series X nowadays. It's so close to being perfect.

:)

CarlMyers, Oct 13, 2023
  2. Renatodibi Win User

Hi CarlMyers.
    I'm Renato and I'm happy to help you today.

Unfortunately, I can't find any solution to your issue. I have also tried further information about it, but nothing useful to solve it. Usually, I don't play with keyboards, so I don't have personal experience, but for many players, it is normal to activate the keyboard by the gamepad. Probably there's no activation button in the keyboard recognised by the console.
    I'm sorry to not be able to solve your issue.

Best regards, Renato
  3. ArminatorX Win User

Keyboards

It will work straight away for text input during messaging and the likes.

Every time the Xbox would show a virtual keyboard on the screen for text input, the keyboard will work.

As for games, the game has to be specifically made to support keyboards.

Not all games are able to use keyboards.

For example Fortnite and Minecraft are popular examples for games that work with an USB Keyboard and USB mouse.
  4. TheBrain1976 Win User

X1 ESO targeting 1080p/30fps

I just read that the caht box will also be available in the game. Thats great as I prefer to text with strangers instead of inviting everybody to a Party Chat...

Any USB Keyboard works with the Xbox One so texting shouldn't be a Problem to connect with others.
  5. HAZMAT RADIO Win User

Can a keyboard be used on an Xbox One S and and X

A USB keyboard does work with the xbox but it's just for entering text, not for gaming.
  6. Internet Expert Win User

USB Bluetooth dongle support on Xbox One S?

The Xbox One and Xbox One S do not support Bluetooth in any way, and it does not contain any built-in drivers to interface with a Bluetooth dongle.

If you want to use an external keyboard, you can use:

- The keyboard chat-accessory that attaches to the controller.

- Your smartphone with the Xbox app (keyboard pops up when you are ready to enter text on Xbox).

- Standard USB keyboard.

- Wireless keyboard with its own included USB dongle (non-BT)
Thema:

1. Text chat with USB keyboard is incredibly inconvenient for EVERY game - Similar Threads - Text chat USB

2. Why is this a thing? Why do you have chat, text, AND party invite privacy setting bundled...

in XboX Insiders
    Why is this a thing? Why do you have chat, text, AND party invite privacy setting bundled...: I don't mind the odd text or voice message cussing me out or trash talking...but why in the blue hell am I forced to allow party invites only to be bombarded by a bunch of random douchebags that...
  3. can we get text chat back on roblox please there is no reason not to have it

in XBoX on Windows
    can we get text chat back on roblox please there is no reason not to have it: can we get text chat back on roblox please there is no reason not to have it 73c47695-f9db-43a2-875b-88f6ce6f9962
  4. Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...

in XBoX on Windows
    Why won’t it let me text in chat? It says the my Microsoft account does not allow that or...: So I got suspended recently and I finally am able to get back on and I realize I can’t type in chat because it says my Microsoft account doesn’t allow that. I have tried everything please help me....
  5. What if I want to report someone but it's in party chat text

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    What if I want to report someone but it's in party chat text: party chat text gets deleted after the party chat ends I have pictures I just don't know were to report were I can send in pictures 34d53235-c632-4dd8-a148-4486a2560ddd
  6. I play on Xbox series s, my problem is that the party chat text chat doesn’t pop up on my...

in XBoX on Windows
    I play on Xbox series s, my problem is that the party chat text chat doesn’t pop up on my...: Is there a setting to activate and deactivate party chat text chat to show up on your screen? Because it no longer does that for me. 72daa0c9-c1bb-4e37-8c31-8630f0786e53
  7. Roblox game chat feature or text chat

in XBoX on Windows
    Roblox game chat feature or text chat: Hello Xbox, i wanted to know if you guys have a specific date that your going to release a game chat or a text chat on Roblox. It’s not a privacy setting issue. It makes gaming difficult because...
  8. Why does my party say that “sorry, voice and text chat aren’t available right now. Try...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why does my party say that “sorry, voice and text chat aren’t available right now. Try...: Why does my party say that “sorry, voice and text chat aren’t available right now. Try joining the party again a while later.” It’s really annoying as I was playing with my mates, then the Xbox...
  9. Why is my text chat not working?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Why is my text chat not working?: So I play xbox with my friends and occasionally we use text chat, i can't see the text chat appearing on my screen anymore but I can hear it with the text to speech voices, the same happens when I...
  10. my friend in roblox cant see any ui text, but he can see the chat but not like gui text. i...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    my friend in roblox cant see any ui text, but he can see the chat but not like gui text. i...: my friend cant see any text or guis. in roblox. this is on PC btw. i really want to help him but google isnt helping 43815990-f408-4b5f-95a4-30a28b241815