system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd

Discus and support system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; after update my xbox one wont detect any usb flash drives ir external hdd.i use them for only movies.it wont detect my flash drive 16g usb2.0,wont... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by steven23445, Sep 19, 2016.

1. steven23445
    steven23445 Guest

after update my xbox one wont detect any usb flash drives ir external hdd.i use them for only movies.it wont detect my flash drive 16g usb2.0,wont detect my usb 3.0 1t hdd or my 1t usb 2.0 hdd..

my computer and tv will detect them fine...did update messed up media player??

:)

steven23445, Sep 19, 2016
  2. Xbox One X Media Player not detecting 1TB USB3.0 drive

I have a 1TB HD USB 3.0 and the Media Player does not detect it. I would like it to detect it so I can watch videos and listen to some music. Please Advise.

KruelNtension, Sep 19, 2016
  3. MTSugarfree
    MTSugarfree Guest
    xbox one media player cant detect my USB drive..?

just make sure it's a usb 2.0 or 3.0

MTSugarfree, Sep 19, 2016
  4. system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd

Hi there ExpandedPoppy54!

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your USB. Could you try power cycling your Xbox One console and see if that helps? Would you mind also plugging the USB into different
    USB ports on your Xbox One console as well and seeing if that changes anything?

Let us know!

Miss Ghidorah, Sep 19, 2016
  5. Miss Ghidorah Win User

Hi there ExpandedPoppy54!

Sorry to hear that you're having troubles with your USB. Could you try power cycling your Xbox One console and see if that helps? Would you mind also plugging the USB into different
    USB ports on your Xbox One console as well and seeing if that changes anything?

Let us know!
  6. ReefSteele1 Win User

Xbox one Console suddenly not seeing External drives, even brand new backup console.

Hey mate

Did all that, still nothing. It was the most recent firmware update.

I was watching media off my hdd. Turned the xbox off (instant power mode).

Came back 20 minutes later and the hdd was no longer detected. Have been using this hdd for media for 4 months with no issue.

Checked if an update had been installed and it had.

Since then no media hdd has worked. I bought a brand new hdd today. Sometimes it detects and brings up the prompt. I select media. Hdd doesn't show up in storage.

I do the whole power cycle etc etc. Still nothing. No prompt either.

Go to disk management on pc. Delete volume. Create new simple volume. Format to ntfs. Unstuck quick format.

Plug back into xbox. Brings up prompt. Select media. Doesn't show up in storage.

Something in the update has created a bug. We need a patch or a hot fix.

Or something. A lot of people use their xbox as a media player. If you like I'll paste the reddit thread I found which was created soon after the firmware update complaining of this issue.
  7. OCRyzen Win User

windows media centre and Xbox

Try connecting to you computer in "Video Player", instead of using Mindows Media Center & see if the Video Files are detected..

Note: The Xbox 360, will not detect DVD VOB Files on a HDD & you will need to convert them into WMV or AVI..

Also, make sure, you have downloaded the "Optional Media Update" from the Xbox LIVE Marketplace..
  8. IceStorm III Win User

external hdd not reading

Kenomac already pointed out that he uses the drive for movies and music. The 360 has always supported read-only of media from HFS+ and FAT32-formatted HDDs. Third party media files are not stored on trusted 360 storage space (USB MU, HDD) and are not accessed
    from System Settings, Memory.
  9. GroundOregano94 Win User

Watching movies on Xbox One S

That hard drive must be designated as a media drive. Not formatted as Xbox drive. Because Xbox recognizes SSD it immediately recognizes it as a media drive. Here is troubleshot for external
    hard drives.
    Have you tried to start movies from USB drive? Remember, in settings on your Xbox that drive must be designated as a media drive. You can try reformated it again on your PC and then plug it in again on Xbox. One other thing. If your HDD is
    recognised as media drive on your Xbox, you can format again on your Xbox and set it as media drive again. System/storage - select your media drive and pres a. Then formate it as media drive again. And finally, the question that supposed to be first. Is your
    HDD recognized as a media drive? Is it recognized at all?

Have you tried to change USB ports to plug it in? And last, try a power cycle console described here on the bottom of the page and try plug
    back in your HDD.
Thema:

1. system media player wont detect usb disks/hdd - Similar Threads - system media player

2. I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your...: I am trying to update a vintage gaming system. The Xbox 360. It just says Can’t update your console and gives a weird status code. Please help Jen 03063d52-94dc-42e3-a9a5-e38328db3bbb
  3. I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D

in XBoX on Consoles
    I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D: I keep receiving the system error E102 00000C01 8007045D 33d17f4b-f468-4c7a-bc31-2531e78a8289
  4. I don't want to console system update anymore.

in XBoX on Consoles
    I don't want to console system update anymore.: I don't want Xbox live console system update. How do I make it stop forever, it is ruining my gaming experience. I want to play my Xbox games with access to Xbox live online. Not playing external...
  5. System Update Death Loop

in XBoX on Consoles
    System Update Death Loop: I need to connect to different wifi network in order to complete my system update. I am unable to do so, because as soon as I select the "go online" opinion I'm immediately rerouted to the start...
  6. Xbox 360 cant connect to internet or install system updates

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 cant connect to internet or install system updates: My Xbox 360 4GB will not connect to the internet or perform system updates. It can recognize the WiFi signal, but it wont connect. Setting up a wired connection allows it to connect to the...
  7. When doing the offline system update (OSU1) Will it factory reset on its own? If so, does...

in XBoX on Windows
    When doing the offline system update (OSU1) Will it factory reset on its own? If so, does...: I still am wondering about this E106 thing and I am just making sure that I do not want to erase my data from games. But my real question is if I do the OSU1, Will it factory reset on its own and...
  8. Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.

in XboX Insiders
    Windows media player issues or flaws and accessories app issues Xbox system feature missing.: It has no media server access, and it has an unfriendly UI when navigating through a large library of music. Also it's impossible to transfer from PC to internal storage. It reads metadata...
  9. Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game)

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Can't Resume the Media Player App After Latest System Update (Restarts After Playing a Game): I know I must be the only one who uses the Media Player app on a regular basis, but after the latest system update, it keeps restarting when switching back after a game. This was not the case...
  10. Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system

in XBoX on Consoles
    Media Player/USB movies do not play in 5.1 surround through A/V system: Unfortunately, I had to replace my old Sony A/V system due to loose HDMI connections. I purchased an Onkyo 5.2 receiver as its replacement. I have a 5.1 speaker setup. I have a cable box,...