Surround Sound Not Working with 5.1 Receiver

Discus and support Surround Sound Not Working with 5.1 Receiver in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have an Xbox One connected via HDMI to an RCA RT2761HB 5.1 Receiver. When I select HDMI Auto and select any option other than "Stereo" the Xbox... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Joe_Forums, Feb 16, 2014.

1. Joe_Forums
    Joe_Forums Guest

I have an Xbox One connected via HDMI to an RCA RT2761HB 5.1 Receiver. When I select HDMI Auto and select any option other than "Stereo" the Xbox complains that the option is not supported. If I select "HDMI Manual" and chose "Dolby 5.1" or "Dolby 7.1"
    the audio does not process on all channels (I think I'm missing the center channel) and the audio receiver only allows switching between the PLII and Emulated modes. If I select "DTS" I get no audio at all.

This receiver worked fine with the xbox 360 and continues to work fine with other devices. This is not a set-top-box passthrough issue, this applies to all applications and games. I've tried selecting "Beta" mode in the TV set-up - this changes nothing.

:)

Joe_Forums, Feb 16, 2014
  2. Silvamord
    Silvamord Guest
    Surround Sound Complications

Hello Community,

I would like to consider myself a Techie but when I setup my Xbox One I got for a present I only ran into frustration and issues.

Equipment & Setup:

Xbox One plugged into a Sony Receiver via HDMI. Receiver plugged into TV via HDMI cable.

Xbox One set to 5.1 uncompressed (as suggested via researching this online). Receiver states 3/2.1 PCM - I set it to PLII Movie, thus 5.1 Surround Sound.

Issue:

Hulu app will not play 5.1 surround sound, only FL & FR speakers.

Previews on a Blu-Ray wouldn't play 5.1 surround sound but the actual movie would.

Pandora will only play through FL & FR speakers, no sub.

Netflix will play 5.1 surround sound. Games will play 5.1 surround sound.

Confusion:

Why are some items playing surround sound and others are not? My previous console had no issues playing Hulu at 5.1 surround sound with same HDMI setup. My other devices I'm using on the receiver are playing 5.1 surround sound just fine.

Seeking help with this. I would hate to return the Xbox One due to something as trivial as Audio. Especially since a device as simple as my Chromcast and PS3 had no issues whatsoever. But if I can't solve this within the week I will have to return for a
    PS4.

Thank you ahead of time for your help and support with this,

Tom

Silvamord, Feb 16, 2014
  3. Dolby Digital crackling

mines actually opposite..more distorted using DTS in headset or with 5.1 surround sound receiver.

U Go 6 FT BeLOW, Feb 16, 2014
  4. jmcode
    jmcode Guest

Unlike the Xbox 360, the Xbox One does not currently support outputting Dolby Digital 5.1/7.1 audio. Understand that DD 5.1/7.1 is simply a compressed/encoded version of what the One DOES output, which is uncompressed 5.1/7.1 multichannel PCM audio. That
    is the option you chose when you selected HDMI Manual. However, it sounds like your receiver does not properly support multichannel PCM (which is why the One would not allow you to select it on Auto) and does not support DTS. This is not surprising given
    the receiver is very low end. In general, Home Theater In a Box receivers are to be avoided...

jmcode, Feb 16, 2014
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: