Surround Sound issues using XBOX ONE (games work in 5.1, apps only in stereo)

Discus and support Surround Sound issues using XBOX ONE (games work in 5.1, apps only in stereo) in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi I have a Bose Lifestyle® T20 home theater system. It is a 5.1 system. I connect my XBOX ONE via HDMI cable (from the HDMI out on the XBOX ONE) to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by DapperDonny, May 26, 2014.

1. DapperDonny
    DapperDonny Guest

Hi

I have a Bose Lifestyle® T20 home theater system. It is a 5.1 system.

I connect my XBOX ONE via HDMI cable (from the HDMI out on the XBOX ONE) to my Bose theater system. Then I have other systems like apple TV / Cable / Wii connected to my Bose system. I can aggregate all those inputs and the Bose is connected to my TV via
    HDMI.

My problem is under this setup I can get 5.1 surround on games (Like Forza) but when I use apps like NetFlix or any video content (DVD) i only get audio from 2 speakers.

Under options on the XBOX ONE I see stereo, 5.1, 7.1, Bitstream. I have tried all configs and to no avail.

I even tried an optical cable to the theater system and connecting XBOX direct to TV via HDMI and this had same result.

I was on to Microsoft support and they say " it seems that surrounds sound system
    won't support applications because it showed here that your Xbox One can produce digital surround sound for games and Blu-ray or DVD movies
    ."

I was then directed here because the help desk said there may be another option. Problem is the DVD movies are not coming through in surround either so I don't know what the above means.

I also went to my local Microsoft store in Burlington Mall in MA today and nobody in the store had a clue how to connect the system using surround sound. Has nobody else had this problem?

Help!!!!!

:)

DapperDonny, May 26, 2014
  2. MasterXi1
    MasterXi1 Guest
    YouTube 5.1 Surround Sound

I noticed that the YouTube app on the XBox One only puts out stereo sound. Is it designed this way or can it put out 5.1 surround sound? Other apps like Netflix have no problem putting out 5.1. YouTube videos work fine on the computer putting out 5.1.

MasterXi1, May 26, 2014
  3. lucky6x6x6
    lucky6x6x6 Guest
    Surround sound issue

Ok I have a 5.1 surround sound system with a receiver/dvd player combo and that's connected with a audio optical cable directly to the Xbox one and hdmi to the tv settings on xbox are optical out, bitstream, dolby digital and for games and blue ray 5.1 surround
    works perfect but for hulu and music and dvds even certified for 5.1 surround only come in on my front two speakers and the woofer (2.1 stereo sound) shouldn't my xbox be smart enough to mix the sound to all speakers if it's coming through as stereo sound?

lucky6x6x6, May 26, 2014
  4. bigdaddyb99
    bigdaddyb99 Guest

I had this same problem with my lg surround system. But I did what you did. Hdmi to my tv and ran an optical cable to my surround. This worked fine. Dumb question but you are changing your reciever to the optical input right.

bigdaddyb99, May 27, 2014
  5. DapperDonny
    DapperDonny Guest
    You gave me hope. But no luck here. I have tried again the optical input and same result. The fact that games play surround sound but the Videos and all media now it seems including music, Netflix and general videos from the dashboard all play only through
    front two speakers is really strange. Almost like its a software issue. I'm starting to become unimpressed with this device. Might be time to bring it back and rethink my next gen console for the future.

DapperDonny, May 28, 2014
  6. Hey guys, I have the exact same problem. I have a Bose lifestyle V35 and it won't run surround in apps like youtube, movies etc. The startup sound and games do work.. For example need for speed, the loading sound is great, the back speakers and sub come
    to life.

I tried all the different settings in the audio out etc, but it won't output 5.1 in apps.. Even the youtube DTS 5.1 tests fail, only work in stereo.

hope MS can look into this.

PhilipHaunted, Jun 8, 2014
  7. Mad EYEFI
    Mad EYEFI Guest
    I have had the same issue, my xbox one will play blu rays and games in 5.1 but I rented the new robocop in HD and it was only in stereo. I spent over an hour on the phone to support, they ended up having to escalate the issue to another department, which
    was two weeks ago. They think it's the latest patch. On the description of the movies I'm sure it used to say 5.1 or 2.0, it only says English audio now..if I'm paying HD money I want surround sound. This whole streaming and downloading is being heralded as
    the future by all these huge companies, I've had similar issues with Apple and Sony, where an irritating fault either to do with sound or picture has ruined a good movie experience. I don't don't want to have to go into my settings and check the setup, which
    I know it's not my end because I have spent many hours testing it so I know it works, I just want to sit down press play and watch an HD movie in surround sound. At the end of the day I paid over £600 for my console all in all, and I can't trust it to play
    a simple HD movie in 5.1. I have a £100 old fashioned blu ray player and I can stick an old fashioned Blu-ray Disc in it and it works every time without fail. I'm not asking for a cure for cancer (although that would be nice). It's 2014 not 1914 we can go
    into space and build space stations, we can rule the world with our military hardware, can we watch an HD movie in surround sound from the xbox store? NO. I'm sorry but this really irritates me. I couldn't even get a refund. It would be nicoe if someone could
    let us know when this will be fixed.

Mad EYEFI, Jun 26, 2014
  8. Chaotix69
    Chaotix69 Guest

HD is picture quality and does not have anything to do with the sound and if it is in 5.1 it will tell you on the packaging unless bootleg. Also, "old fashioned Blu-Ray" in comparison to an HD movie?

And Surround sound can be easily processed...and also set as a preference on audio systems.

It's hard to decipher the issue when you clearly might as well call it a "thing-a-ma-jig". Learn your product before bantering on and NO. I'm not sorry but you really irritate me

Chaotix69, Jul 1, 2014
  9. ShinyMcBrah
    ShinyMcBrah Guest
    First off, I love my Xbox One. I'm a Day One owner. But I'm having similar sound issues using the optical out.

My Netflix app won't output surround sound correctly. All my games output surround flawlessly and have since day one. Also, last weekend I installed the Amazon Instant Video app and the surround sound works flawlessly with 5.1 programs in that app. So it
    appears to be a problem with the Netflix app itself.

My sound is outputting through the optical out to my Marantz AVR. My usual audio setting on the Xbox One is set to Optical >> Bitstream out >> DTS Digital Surround. Using this setting, I get only the left/right channels in Netflix—no center channel or surround
    at all. If I change the setting to Optical >> Stereo Uncompressed, I get only the center channel and no left/right channels in Netflix—and still no surround at all.

I've seen a few other people with this problem, but no solutions. Any ideas? (I've tried hard-resetting my Xbox, etc.) Like I said, my games and the Amazon Instant Video app all output 5.1 sound perfectly. But not Netflix.

Thanks in advance for any assistance!

ShinyMcBrah, Jul 5, 2014
  10. PannikAttk
    PannikAttk Guest
    I have the above issue in the opposite. I think it was trigegred by the last update as well, as the xbox one was working fine since day one last November. My games and apps will either output no sound or what seems like stereo sound (depending on the game).
    If I pop in a blu ray movie, it works fine and outputs 5.1 with no issue.

My set top box, which is out of the xbox one loop outputs sound fine as well so this is obviously an issue with the xbox one itself and not my Sony STRDN1000 receiver.

I'm at a loss, I've been an xbox user for over 10 years and bought this thing the night it came out. I even convinced two friends who were going the PS4 route to jump on the bandwagon as well...feeling quite frustrated and sheepish at the moment.

PannikAttk, Jul 26, 2014
  11. I have a quick question: What hdmi audio settings on my xbox one should i use? Just connected to a sony w7 32 inch tv. No sound system to plug in, just the TV. Bitstream? Uncompressed stereo? Help!

MrsPiggins X100, Jul 27, 2014
  12. The only way i've managed to get surround to work on Apps is by selecting uncompressed stereo and then your amp should output in Dolby Surround Pro Logic 2, which sounds much better on the Apps side but the big downside is that means no DTS or Dolby Digital
    for games. Why hasn't this been fixed yet? Surely they could simply add an separate audio option for Apps to output stereo uncompressed?

CPT Awes0me 23, Aug 24, 2014
  13. Walhaaaan
    Walhaaaan Guest

I have the same problem if we get an answer it would be really nice. Bose system setup should be added as a surround system Surround Sound issues using XBOX ONE (games work in 5.1, apps only in stereo) :)

Walhaaaan, Nov 25, 2014
  14. yakboy uk
    yakboy uk Guest
    I have similar issue with Yamaha processor. Running through to processor using HDMI. Games are 5.1 but Amazon love film and Now TV are only coming through as stereo. Only thing to add is that the processor is indicating that it is receiving a 5.1 signal
    (PCM)... Which makes things worse as I now can't enable Dolby Pro Logic on the stream.

Will try with HDMI straight to TV and optical to Processsor.

yakboy uk, Jan 11, 2015
  15. Hey there, yakboy uk! I'm very sorry to see that you are running into sound issues. This thread is a bit old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our
    community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. Surround Sound issues using XBOX ONE (games work in 5.1, apps only in stereo) :)

Misses Quinzel, Oct 31, 2018
  16. mnembrown Win User

TV Tuner Stereo output only?

I'm having the same issue. Only seeing a 2 channel, stereo output. I've tried every surround sound option (5.1, 7.1, bit-stream, surround sound on/off, etc...) and I've changed around the HDMI settings with no luck. The output is only stereo for OTA live
    TV. When watching movies or other content surround sound works fine.
  17. AshyLarry2481 Win User

TV Tuner Stereo output only?

I also have the same issue. Regardless of setting the TV audio to Stereo or Surround Sound, I only get 2.1 audio. I only got the xbox one and tuner a few days ago; did 5.1 surround sound work ever w/ the Hauppauge tuner earlier on before a recent system
    update? Or has it never worked?
  18. Arminator Win User

Simulated Atmos from XBOX One S?

No, the Xbox One S does not simulate ATMOS from a 5.1 source.

However, since the Xbox One can run multiple sound applications at any given time (for example you run an Atmos enabled game, while having a music app running in the background), the console will ALWAYS output an ATMOS signal to your receiver, since the
    game sound is in spatial surround.

Into that ATMOS spatial surround sound track, the stereo music track will be mixed in. But since the music track does not have surround or height information in it's stereo signal, you won't get the music in ATMOS spatial surround, even if your receiver
    shows ATMOS coming in.

If you watch a 5.1 video in VUDU, the Xbox will distribute the 5.1 sound information to the front, center, back surround and subwoofer channels for the ATMOS signal, and your ceiling speakers for example won't get sound.

So even if your receiver shows ATMOS, and you have twenty speakers mounted in your home cinema, only the standard 5.1 speakers will produce sound, if you watch a 5.1 sound source.
  19. Walhaaaan Win User

I have the same problem if we get an answer it would be really nice. Bose system setup should be added as a surround system :)
  20. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey there, yakboy uk! I'm very sorry to see that you are running into sound issues. This thread is a bit old. If you need further assistance, please post up a new thread detailing what you're running into and troubleshooting you've completed. This way our
    community can get you the individual support that works best on the forums. :)
Thema:

1. Surround Sound issues using XBOX ONE (games work in 5.1, apps only in stereo) - Similar Threads - Surround Sound issues

2. When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...

in XBoX on Consoles
    When will Microsoft fix the Xbox "feature" of disabling surround sound when a chat headset...: Xbox Series X|S can output surround sound such as Dolby Atmos and DTS:X over HDMI with no headset attached. This is great for modern gaming, allowing players to use spatial sound cues (direction...
  3. Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why do I lose Atmos surround sound when I plug a headset into my wired controller?: The moment I plug my headset in to my Razer Wolverine V2 controller the sound mode on my XBOX changes the audio output to stereo uncompressed. The sound output cannot be changed back to any type...
  4. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Consoles
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  5. How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S

in XBoX on Consoles
    How Do I Get 5.1 Surround Sound To Work On My Xbox Series S: I’m trying to get my Series S to work on my 5.1 surround sound system and not having any luck. This set of instructions...
  6. No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver

in XBoX on Windows
    No surround sound with Xbox Series X and old Denon receiver: Greetings! I have an old Denon AVR 591 5.1 surround sound system. It's worked great for me for about 15 years, until recently. I upgraded my TV to 4k last year, and realized the Denon cannot...
  7. How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to setup xbox series x, TV, and surround sound receiver?: Toshiba TV Series X Yamaha receiver I have the Receiver(HDMI out) connected to the TV(HDMI in) and the Receiver(HDMI #1) connected to the Xbox(HDMI out). It was working perfectly fine, I was...
  8. Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.

in XBoX on Windows
    Lost audio all of a sudden on DTX Surround Sound.: So I was using my Xbox series s with my Vizio 4k tv that supports DTX Surround Sound and all of a sudden it stopped working. The only way it works is if I'm in the settings for the audio. After I...
  9. Do all apps, stream and surround sound?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Do all apps, stream and surround sound?: Some apps aren’t streaming in surround sound. 366850d2-02f4-472a-878b-50183e8cd4dc
  10. No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...: Recently bought the Xbox wireless headset for my series x. At first everything was fine…5.1 surround system working fine when headset is off, and then sound via headset once I turn that on. After...