Stop dwm.exe from picking up xbox360 usb resource

Discus and support Stop dwm.exe from picking up xbox360 usb resource in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hey everyone, I’m part of the niche windows gaming handheld community. These devices have a built in Xbox 360 controller. Some of them have firmware... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by PepsiIsNice62, May 6, 2022.

1. Stop dwm.exe from picking up xbox360 usb resource

Hey everyone, I’m part of the niche windows gaming handheld community. These devices have a built in Xbox 360 controller. Some of them have firmware controlled mouse modes. This is convenient because of using external controllers and other little nuisances. Some don’t.

On windows 10 I could use handle.exe to close resources tied to the usb device. I could even disable the controller without a restart by programming a disable after the resources were freed. Dwm.exe was one of them and would cause a screen flicker but no other negative consequences were noted.

On windows 11, closing the dwm.exe resource causes bsod using handle.exe.

Is it possible to configure dwm.exe to not pick up the Xbox 360 resource?

*** Moved from windows Category by Microsoft Moderator

:)

PepsiIsNice62, May 6, 2022
  2. Kathy A. Win User

Hi PepsiIsNice62,

Greetings! Thank you for posting in Xbox Forums. We are happy to help.

We understand that you are trying to cease dwm.exe to be link to handle.exe; in that way, there will be no more issues involving controller. Let us check on this together and sort this out in timely manner.

Based on the description, please correct me if I'm wrong, are you a developing a firmware/system software for controller that will be connected to PC?

It is just a guess and you don't need to detail out everything. However, we would like to have a confirmation as we have forum for technical, IT professionals and developers. They surely will be able to lend you a hand for this query.

In any case, if you are a Xbox/Windows Insider and testing the updated build available for Insiders, then you might need to send feedback straight to Team Xbox or Windows Insider Team. Insiders are on top on their list as you are testing the future build of the app (software) to be released to the public.

We would like to hear from you soon. Kindly let us know, if there is any misunderstanding or clarifications of our description by sending us a reply.

Sincerely,

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  3. Kathy A. Win User

4. PepsiIsNice62 Win User

Hi Kathy

Thanks for the response. Yes, I am developing a software solution for controllers. I can provide the detailed description of what I am trying to do.

First off, I am a software developer that tailors towards windows gaming handhelds (Aya Neo, One X Player, GPD). These are excellent devices, with built in Xinput controllers. This makes playing games mobile wonderful, but other tasks are more difficult.

Two scenarios:

Playing docked to a TV. If you use an external controller, the built in one interferes with player assignment. You need to disable it to make the externally controller player 1 or use 4 external controllers.

Using an emulated mouse with the built in controller. Using the joystick for mouse emulation is great for getting little things done. However, dwm.exe often picks up the controller and creates its own navigation method for menus. The dwm.exe navigation is not convenient for these gaming handhelds and interferes with the emulated mouse navigation. You can see this in the Linus Tech Tips video here: https://youtu.be/TQV5ZywkAx8?t=461.

In windows 10, I developed a method to disable the xinput controller without restarting, by using handle.exe to quickly end the process resources and disabling. This worked wonderful. A process that would occasionally pick up the xinput controller was dwm.exe. Handle.exe was able to end the resource. The only negative side effect has a momentary loss of the screen.

In windows 11, using handle.exe to end the dwm.exe controller resource causes a blue screen of death.

Ultimately my goal would be control of how the xinput controller is used in windows. I would like to be able to disable it when needed without restarting. I would also like to see the controller navigation be able to turn off.

I can do both fairly reliably if I didn't have to do deal with dwm.exe picking up the controller resource.

Is there a better forum to post this to?

Best Regards,

Chris
  5. {Parity} Win User

Xbox360 not picking up hotspot signal?

Try shutting it down completely and unplugging it for 3 to 5 minutes. Then restart it and try again.
  6. Error404BOT Win User

Xbox360 not picking up hotspot signal?

try resetting your phone too
Thema:

1. Stop dwm.exe from picking up xbox360 usb resource - Similar Threads - Stop dwm exe

2. The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button

in XBoX on Windows
    The audio won't work on my Xbox and my controller won't stop pressing the fake A button: The audio does not play at all and my controller won't stop pressing A fakely. Is there a way to fix this? f85344fb-cd63-4abb-ac48-68a01636c631
  3. Does anyone know how to stop someone from game sharing off me

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does anyone know how to stop someone from game sharing off me: I had this friend for a while and he wanted a game and i had it and he told me to game share him so i did. Fast forward to now we are no longer friends and i dont want him to have access to me...
  4. The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then...

in XBoX on Windows
    The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then...: The problem with downloading the update is that it stops at the same download rate and then restarts the update even though the internet is good. 803fc08c-7ca8-4441-8c0a-137814f5e893
  5. Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes

in XBoX on Windows
    Uhmm why does my downloads stop on GTA 5 at like 30 gigabytes: Every time I download gta 5 it says download has stopped d4fffb6b-187e-4fb2-a8c6-562ce7b7df53
  6. PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?

in XboX Insiders
    PC Xbox app stopped showing party invites. Forcing us to use Windows Game Bar?: The kids and I have been using the Xbox app across three PCs for voice chat for Minecraft for a few years. It stopped working recently, but in my efforts to troubleshoot it, I found all the fixes...
  7. Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Some of the buttons on my Series X controller just stopped working...: Hi! I was playing Forza Horizon 5 when I went back to the Home Screen to do something but after I did that my controller decided it didn't wanna respond to anything unless I was pressing the Xbox...
  8. Game Clips Stop Working

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Game Clips Stop Working: Whenever I take a game clip it always stops working once I upload it to the Xbox Network, whenever I try and access the clip it gives me an error code. The one thing about this is that the only...
  9. controller stop functioning after few minutes

in XBoX on Consoles
    controller stop functioning after few minutes: I recently purchased an Xbox Series X|S controller for PC gaming. Unfortunately, today the battery leaked, causing my hands to get oily. I disposed of the batteries, and now I'm attempting to use...
  10. How can I stop notifying my friends of my live stream?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    How can I stop notifying my friends of my live stream?: Every time I stream Twitch on Xbox, my friends keep getting constant notifications that I am streaming. This is true for all my friends, including those who have me "Favorited" and those who do...