Starfield on Gamepass PC crashing with error code 0xc0000096

Discus and support Starfield on Gamepass PC crashing with error code 0xc0000096 in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I keep getting this crashing error every time I try to launch Starfield Error 0xc0000096. 9b1c0548-2cff-4099-9e73-43084d86223d Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by DexOZ, Sep 6, 2023.

1. DexOZ
    DexOZ Guest

I keep getting this crashing error every time I try to launch Starfield Error 0xc0000096.

:)

DexOZ, Sep 6, 2023
  2. Lee Roberts1 Win User

Ok, after the standard default script about drivers and game, etc, no, it doesn't work.

And yes, I've also done a clean boot etc etc.

Although, it's a change to have this error and not a .00005.....

But still. No solution. And having spent roughly 30 hours uninstalling and reinstalling, frankly, I want A solution that works as my time is precious as I'm old with a heart condition.
  3. CarTzy Win User

Hello!

We haven't heard from you in 72 hours, so we assume that your issue has already been resolved. We will not be monitoring this thread moving forward so, if you need further assistance, please create a new thread to discuss these concerns by clicking this link: Microsoft Community.

[​IMG]

Thank you for understanding.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello DexOZ,

Thank you for posting in the Microsoft Community.

Here are troubleshooting steps we can perform to try and fix the issue.

Make sure Windows is up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type settings, and then select Settings.
    2. On Windows 10, select Update & Security. On Windows 11, select Windows Update.
    3. On the Windows Update page, select Check for updates to see if any updates are available for your device.
    4. Once the updates have downloaded, select Install now to start the installation.
    5. Following installation, we recommend that you restart your device so that the latest updates can take effect.
    For more info, go to:

Windows Update

Make sure both the Xbox and Gaming Services apps are up to date
    1. Press the Start button on the taskbar, type store, and open the Microsoft Store app.
    2. Select Library.
    3. Under Updates & downloads, check if there are any updates available for the Xbox app or Gaming Services app. If an update is available, select Update.

Make sure the game is up to date
    1. Open the Xbox app for Windows.
    2. In My Library, select the game title.
    3. Select the More options () button and choose Manage.
    4. Select Files and then Check for updates.

Make sure you’re signed in to the Xbox app and the Store with the same accountWhen you open the Xbox app on your device, be sure you sign in to the app using your own Xbox account. You may also need to be signed in to the Store (xbox.com) in order to play a purchased game.

To make sure your permissions for the game can be validated, be sure to sign in to both the Store and the Xbox app using the same account that was used to purchase the game.

For help with signing in, go to:

Sign in to Xbox

Repair the game
    1. Open the Xbox app for Windows.
    2. In My Library, select the game title.
    3. Select the More options () button and choose Manage.
    4. Select Files and then Verify and repair.

Remove and reinstall Gaming ServicesReinstall the Gaming Services app on your Windows 10/11 device:

1. Select the Search icon on the taskbar, type powershell, right-click on Windows PowerShell, and then select Run as administrator.
    2. In Windows PowerShell, type the following command and press Enter:

get-appxpackage Microsoft.GamingServices | remove-AppxPackage -allusers
    3. In the same window, type the following command and press Enter:

start ms-windows-store://pdp/?productid=9MWPM2CQNLHN
    4. Install the app on that page and select Yes when you receive the User Account Control (UAC) prompt.
    5. Restart your device and try to install the game again.

Uninstall and reinstall the gameIf you're having trouble getting a game to play, uninstalling and then reinstalling the game might help. Occasionally, game files may get corrupted or altered, especially if you've had a malware problem or are running a game modification on your device.

Some games can even repair the original files without you having to remove the game completely. However, if you installed the game from the Microsoft Store, you'll only be able to completely uninstall and reinstall the game. For more info, follow the steps in:

How to install and uninstall a PC game on a Windows device

Please see: Game Release Known Issues for September 2023 - Microsoft Community

If issue persist, Please use the Report a Problem app on your console or feedback on your PC, so that our platform team can investigate. For instructions on how to report a new problem or questions about the Report a Problem application, please read the following support article: Provide feedback to Team Xbox | Xbox Support

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  5. Machinomancr Win User

FH5 CTD Error 0xc000001d

Did all that. However upon contacting Forza Support They keep on sending me here.

"Hello,

For troubleshooting tips on game crashes or failure to launch, please see our article here: https://support.forzamotorsport.net/hc/en-us/articles/360007593074-My-Game-is-Not-Launching-or-is-Crashing-on-PC

If you are crashing and receive no error or windows pop up directly from the game, please use this guide to diagnose your PCs issue for the Crash event that may be occurring,

Open Event Viewer by pressing the Windows key and type "Event Viewer"
    Click on the "Windows Logs" folder
    Click on "Application"
    Click on the "Date and Time" column to sort and look for "Application Error" around the date/time your crash happened.
    After you find the Application Error for the game, you will notice "Information" on the right.
    In this tab there will be a ton of information listed. Please check the error code to see if you have anything related to these examples below

Examples of Coded issues:
    0xc0000005
    0xc000001d
    0xc0000409
    0xe06d7363
    0xc0000374
    0xc00000fd
    0x80000003
    0xc0000096
    0xc0000094
    0xc0000006

If you are seeing codes close to or exactly these codes, please report these codes to Official Windows support as they will be able to diagnose and resolve these issues for you,

WINDOWS: https://support.microsoft.com"
  6. zombiebacon Win User

SUBNAUTICA below Zero not loading game past the initial Warning screen?

no error messages, the game never technically crash, just never load.

no issues with any other games on PC gamepass, or computer in general.
Thema:

1. Starfield on Gamepass PC crashing with error code 0xc0000096 - Similar Threads - Starfield Gamepass crashing

2. Xbox Gamepass for PC Starfield crashes after update

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox Gamepass for PC Starfield crashes after update: I sincerely hope someone can help me. This isn't the first time this has happened: I'll be playing Starfield, having fun, then there's an update and suddenly I can't load. Either the game crashes...
  3. Cannot get starfield to load recent save on gamepass cloud. Will only load a save from 2...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Cannot get starfield to load recent save on gamepass cloud. Will only load a save from 2...: Cannot get starfield to load recent save on gamepass cloud. Will only load a save from 2 months ago. I am not starting over. fa3c7687-65f9-4c38-814a-8e3532841706
  4. starfield crashes to dashboard at loading, suggestions other than canceling gamepass?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    starfield crashes to dashboard at loading, suggestions other than canceling gamepass?: I like Starfield. A lot. But I don,t need the aggrivation. There is no error message. XBox X just dumps Starfield from the load last save screen to the Xbox dashboard. Started a few days ago. I am...
  5. Will signing into my xbox gamepass PC account erase my friend’s Starfield save data?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Will signing into my xbox gamepass PC account erase my friend’s Starfield save data?: My friend plays Starfield on Xbox Gamepass PC and I’m staying with them for a while and have no access to my own PC. I, too, have xbox gamepass PC and was wondering if I signed into my xbox...
  6. They bricked Starfield on GamePass with the latest patch. How do we get a refund, this was...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    They bricked Starfield on GamePass with the latest patch. How do we get a refund, this was...: Title explains it, this game was working perfectly until the forced patch. Now the game will not launch, I've tried every recommended fix, even downloaded a second time only to get the same...
  7. Xbox gamepass on PC unable to install Starfield game after complete download error code...

in XBoX Games and Apps
    Xbox gamepass on PC unable to install Starfield game after complete download error code...: On PC with updated win11, nvidia drivers, Win Security is green. Xbox app installs game (Starfield) after downloading all 121GB, then it stops "Something unexpected happened" error code...
  8. The folder and file restrictions for Gamepass on PC ruin the entire experience. Ex: Starfield

in XBoX Games and Apps
    The folder and file restrictions for Gamepass on PC ruin the entire experience. Ex: Starfield: Modding is a HUGE part of playing any Bethesda game (Starfield, Skyrim, Fallout 4, etc). Microsoft (Gamepass version) locks down the Starfield folder (and the Starfield.exe especially) to prevent...
  9. Can't launch Starfield, Gamepass is giving Error code: (0xc0000096)- Please help!

in XboX Insiders
    Can't launch Starfield, Gamepass is giving Error code: (0xc0000096)- Please help!: As the title says- I've tried everything, updated drivers, reinstalled Starfield (three times now!), and rebooted my computer multiple times. I've done all the admin commands on cmd, verified and...
  10. How do I solve error code: 0x80073d02 on Xbox GamePass when installing Starfield?

in XBoX Games and Apps
    How do I solve error code: 0x80073d02 on Xbox GamePass when installing Starfield?: I have reinstalled and repaired various times to no avail. Thank you for your time in adance. I have tried command/sfc/scannow, repaired microsoft store, ensured proper update of both windows and...