Spatial Sound for headphones not working, both Sonic and Atmos

Discus and support Spatial Sound for headphones not working, both Sonic and Atmos in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I have tried both Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos through two different sets of ordinary stereo headphones plugged into the controller and am not getting... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by wward72, Nov 21, 2017.

1. wward72
    wward72 Guest

I have tried both Windows Sonic and Dolby Atmos through two different sets of ordinary stereo headphones plugged into the controller and am not getting any spatial sound though either sound setting. I have double and triple checked
    in Audio Settings that I selected Windows Sonic and/or Dolby Atmos (with the app installed).

I have confirmed this problem with both the Insects demo and the Dolby Access app. The Insects demo has the Spatial Sound toggle greyed out entirely and inaccessible on both the Sonic and Atmos sound settings, and the Dolby Access
    app specifically tells me that I "am not experiencing Dolby Atmos for headphones" when I run the app's audio demos even though I have confirmed that the Atmos app is installed and that the headphone setting is set to Dolby Atmos. I am getting regular stereo
    sound from both sets of headphones in either case.

I am out of ideas other than there being a problem with the hardware itself. Also I am using an Elite controller so I hope that's not part of the problem. Thank you.

:)

wward72, Nov 21, 2017
  2. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    Can't Hear Game Audio or menu sounds through headset

Is your console enrolled in the Insider Preview Program?

When you go to the settings under Display&Sound, do you have the console set up to also play game sound through the headphones? If so, do you use any spatial surround modes like Windows Sonic or Dolby Atmos for headphones?

If you set it to Dolby Atmos for Headphones, did you actually purchase Dolby Atmos for headphones? If not, you could only try Dolby Atmos for headphones for two weeks. So check the settings if the headphones work with Stereo or Windows Sonic.

Arminator, Nov 21, 2017
  3. Arminator
    Arminator Guest
    How to Get FreeSync and ATMOS at the same time from XBOX ONE X

I understand your frustration, but the issue is not with Xbox directly, but with Yamaha and Samsung not supporting FreeSync or ARC properly.

From my experience, no Samsung TV ever gave a proper ARC signal from other HDMI input signals. Only from it's internal tuner (be it live TV or Samsung internal apps), where the TV is producing the sound, and sending it to the TV, which annoys us when using
    our FireTV stick on our Samsung TV.

If the TV gets the sound from a different HDMI input, it's unable to directly forward that audio through it's ARC port. I don't know if it's a technical limitation or licensing issues that prohibit Samsung from sending the original Bitstram via eARC.

On the other hand: You might have to contact Yamaha, so they can implement FreeSync support in their next generation of receivers, or maybe are able to have a firmware update for your existing receiver.

As a workaround, you can also try the following:

Plug in a headphone into your controller, and then in the Display & Audio settings enable Windows Sonic for headphones, or if you have purchased the Dolby Atmos for headphones app, you can also use Dolby Atmos.

This will enable spatial surround through your headphones, and you can then enjoy Freesynced refresh rates WHILE enjoying spatial 3D surround sound.

If you're unsure about the capabilities of Windows Sonic compared to Dolby Atmos for headphones, the Dolby Atmos Access app gives you a 14 day trial. So you can directly compare Dolby Atmos with Windows Sonic, and decide if there is an audible difference
    that warrants the purchase of Dolby Atmos for headphones.

Alternatively, if you don't have a nice pair of headphones yet, you could kill two birds with one stone, and buy yourself a Plantronics RIG headset, that has a redeemable code for Dolby Atmos (take care, as there are some models that are being sold WITHOUT
    the code for Dolby Atmos as well). Personally, I am pleased with the Plantronics RIG 400HX Atmos.

Arminator, Nov 21, 2017
    Error:Failed to connect to localhost port 9200: Connection refused
Thema: