Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer

Discus and support Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hello, I have a Vizio 5.1 Soundbar system plugged into my TV through the eARC HDMI, then my XBox Series X plugged into the TV as well through a... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Andrew Alexander51, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer

Hello,

I have a Vizio 5.1 Soundbar system plugged into my TV through the eARC HDMI, then my XBox Series X plugged into the TV as well through a different HDMI port.

When I am setting up my XBox Series X sound settings, both the 5.1 uncompressed and Dolby Digital do not send sound through my rear speakers or subwoofer. I am on the Audio Testing screen that tests each of the speakers, and all of the sound comes through the main soundbar, even when testing the rear speakers, and nothing happens at all when testing the subwoofer.

I know the Vizio system is set up correctly to my TV because all other content uses the rear speakers and subwoofer.

What do I need to do to get the XBox sounds to start coming through the rear speakers and subwoofer?

:)

Andrew Alexander51, Mar 8, 2024
  2. kyle_m4496 Win User

Hi Andrew. My name is Kyle and I'm an independent advisor.

If the soundbar works fine for apps on your TV but not your console, you may need to configure your TV's settings to enable Dolby Digital for HDMI devices. This should be in your TV's audio settings, listed as "Digital Audio Setting" or something similar.

You can also try setting up audio passthrough to see if that helps: https://support.xbox.com/help/hardware-network/display-sound/audio-passthrough
  3. strykerzr350 Win User

Watchdogs Sound Issue

I have not had that issue. I have an issue with the game not being in surround sound. The game just works through my left and right speaker, subwoofer and center speaker. No rear audio whatsoever.
  4. Georges C. Win User

Setting up xbox for dolby atmos speakers

Hello again, I think there was a confusion about the term (neck speaker), I was referring to the headsets that really put themselves on the neck.

If you are referring to rear speakers and they are connected through optical output, they will be recognized as sound systems by xbox.
  5. Smiling Cat-FAB725BA Win User

earforce x42 or razer chimaera 5.1?

They are both incredibly similar in design. Would just have to read reviews and see what pros and cons are mentioned. Amazon customer reviews are great to find out about glaring problems in products. They both share the following stuff.

-

• 2x50mm drivers for stereo sound
    • a Dolby Decoder unit to downmix 5.1 Dolby Digital into stereo
    • 5.8GHz radio communication
    • Controller connector for Xbox Live chat
    -

No headset or speaker system can get 7.1 from the 360 because it only outputs Dolby Digital 5.1 from games. Front Right, Front Left, Center, Rear Right, Rear Left and Subwoofer. Some of the Dolby Decoders synthesize two side channels which make it 7.1 and
    then play that through the side speakers or mix them back into 5.1 or stereo for headphones. They are never actually generated from the game engine though.
  6. Zacabeb Win User

Audio output setting

LPCM means Linear Pulse Code Modulation and is effectively non-compressed digital sound. 48 in this case means a sampling frequency of 48 kHz, which is pretty much standard now (CD audio uses 44.1 kHz).

The Xbox 360 can only send out 2-channel LPCM for technical reasons. But other devices such as Blu-ray Disc players may be able to send multi-channel LPCM. So LPCM in itself does not imply any set number of channels. The number of channels received should be
    indicated some other way by the receiver.

The Xbox 360 switches between Dolby Digital and LPCM based on content. Video content that has 2-channel sound is output in LPCM even if Dolby Digital is enabled. It shouldn't do this switching mid-game though.

LFE means Low Frequency Effects and is the dedicated low-bass reinforcement channel in multi-channel sound (the .1 in e.g. 5.1).

If there is no output from the subwoofer with Dolby Digital 5.1, you need to check the bass management in the receiver and set it up with respect to the performance of your speakers. Usually you'll set the size of the speakers (small or large), the bass output
    (front, subwoofer, both) and the crossover frequency (in some receivers you're able to set this independently for the front, center and surround channels).

If a speaker is set to large, the bass will be retained in that channel. If it's set to small, the bass will be filtered out at the selected crossover frequency and sent out to the selected bass output, such as the main left and right speakers, the subwoofer,
    or both in combination.

From your problem description it seems that the center speaker is set to small but the main left and right speakers are set to large. With 5.1 input this will put most of the bass in the main speakers except for the LFE. With 2-channel input and Dolby Pro Logic
    II or similar enabled, much of the bass ends up in the center and is sent from there to the subwoofer.

Unless you have really beefy left and right speakers you may want to set them to small as well to send their low bass to the subwoofer (keep in mind that this means the subwoofer will work harder).
Thema:

1. Sound not outputting through rear speakers or subwoofer - Similar Threads - Sound outputting through

2. whenever I put my "default communications output" to any of my headphones the sound turns...

in XBoX on Consoles
    whenever I put my "default communications output" to any of my headphones the sound turns...: I mean ANY headphone wired or wireless... 9ce98c79-f058-4b23-87f3-60829fdbc7b5
  3. Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why does sound only come from one external speaker when using the optical output?: I have a pair of speakers plugged into my Xbox One S using the optical port and sound only comes out one side. I’ve already verified that both speakers do work. I’ve tried changing a few settings...
  4. I bought a new Koorui 24e3 monitor and it’s not outputting sound from the monitor only If I...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I bought a new Koorui 24e3 monitor and it’s not outputting sound from the monitor only If I...: I bought a new Koorui 24e3 monitor and it’s not outputting sound from the monitor only If I have a headset on with my controller how can I fix this? 8a664266-566e-4813-ae9f-97349e0a4c1e
  5. There is a problem with the input and output sound in the game Fortnite

in XBoX Games and Apps
    There is a problem with the input and output sound in the game Fortnite: There is a problem with the input and output sound in the game Fortnite 600103d7-947a-44f9-80e0-6f9f595c9aa5
  6. No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...

in XBoX on Consoles
    No digital surround sound output from Xbox series X ever since connecting Xbox wireless...: Recently bought the Xbox wireless headset for my series x. At first everything was fine…5.1 surround system working fine when headset is off, and then sound via headset once I turn that on. After...
  7. Can Disney Plus and Paramount Plus output in 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound using Optical S/PDIF?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Can Disney Plus and Paramount Plus output in 5.1 Dolby Surround Sound using Optical S/PDIF?: I do not own an Xbox One, an Xbox One S, or an Xbox One X, but I'm thinking about buying one, primarily for watching content on Disney Plus and Paramount Plus. I already have a 5.1 surround sound...
  8. Unable to disable sound via HDMI Output in Volume and audio output

in XboX Insiders
    Unable to disable sound via HDMI Output in Volume and audio output: So after sending my Xbox Series X off for a warrenty repair, per the first person I talked too, my Xbox One S started having the same issue, so I messaged support again, and after a few...
  9. Display & sound settings - Audio output - Pass Through

in XBoX on Consoles
    Display & sound settings - Audio output - Pass Through: Hi, I think it's about time an option was added to the Bitsream format drop-down menu in the Audio output settings, to allow pass-through of audio instead of having to select between DTS Digital...
  10. problem with Headset (Hyperx Cloud2), sound still output through monitor

in XBoX on Consoles
    problem with Headset (Hyperx Cloud2), sound still output through monitor: So I have connected my Hyperx Cloud2 to the 3,5mm slot on the adapter which is connected to my Xbox controller, but the audio is still getting output through my monitor. How do I change that?...