Solution: Xbox 360 console stuck in restart loop after starting a download

Discus and support Solution: Xbox 360 console stuck in restart loop after starting a download in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; I was having this problem earlier today, and during my search for a fix I saw a number of people on the forum here have had the problem in the past but... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Spud of Doom, Feb 3, 2015.

1. Spud of Doom
    Spud of Doom Guest

I was having this problem earlier today, and during my search for a fix I saw a number of people on the forum here have had the problem in the past but did not always get a clear fix. After about an hour of searching and messing around on my Xbox, I think
    I figured it out. Since those topics are closed I figured maybe if I made a topic somebody could find it later on through the search. Hopefully this helps someone eventually.

Problem description: After initiating a download from the Xbox Live marketplace, the active download begins and then the console restarts itself. After restarting, the console gets to the dashboard before restarting again 10-30 seconds later.
    This loops forever.

Disconnecting the target storage device from the system fixes it, but only until you next boot with the HDD back in. Deleting the download from the queue fixes it, but if you try to download it again the same problem will start again. I was able to repeat
    this on my Xbox 360 S console about 3 or 4 times trying to download The Witcher 2.

Solution:

1) Turn off your xbox 360 console

2) Remove all active downloads from the queue. Do this via the website at
    Sign in to your Microsoft account

3) Turn on your xbox 360. It should no longer be resetting itself

4) Go into Settings > System Settings > Storage and select the device you were downloading to. Scroll down to find content on the HDD for the item you were downloading (e.g. in my case, The Witcher 2). This will be either in alphabetical order, or down the
    very bottom of the list marked as "incomplete" with a yellow ! for its icon.

5) Delete all content associated with the problematic download

You should now be safe to begin the download from the store again without your console getting stuck in a loop.

:)

Spud of Doom, Feb 3, 2015
  2. HassanB
    HassanB Guest
    Console stuck in restart loop after initiating download

Not a problem, my pleasure.

HassanB, Feb 3, 2015
  3. Optimum Peak
    Optimum Peak Guest

I'm having the same exact problem with my 4GB Xbox 360 Slim, with an internal hard drive from the store. I'm having an odd restart loop with my Xbox when starting any download that's not an update, even the same click sound and soft whirring coming from
    my console.

The only way for me to cancel it is to quickly cancel the download when my console restarts, and the deleting the incomplete file and clearing the cache. It's getting pretty frustrating dealing with it and unable to download any marketplace content.

I've been looking all over the internet and it seems the only way to fix it is to buy a new hard drive. I don't even have a warranty on my hard drive. And for someone my age, I just don't have any money just lying around, it's completely unfair that I have
    to spend another fifty dollars on a new hard drive on top of already spending fifty dollars on my old hard drive. Just because I happen to get a defect Microsoft sold to me. And the Destiny beta is soon releasing, and I'll be unable to download the beta because
    of the fault in the hard drive.

Optimum Peak, Feb 3, 2015
  4. ECereal Win User

I seem to have the same issue. Xbox 360 Slim console started a restart loop after I started download of FREE Crackdown game. I pulled the hard drive, cancelled the download and it stopped the restart loop. Reinserted HD and everything is fine. Attemped
    the D/L of Crackdown again the the restart loop happened again. This HD isn't that old either. Is there something else to try before replacing the HD?
  5. Misses Quinzel Win User

Hey, Optimum Peak! As Mister Ohnaka says above you, please create your own thread for specialized support for you.
  6. HassanB Win User

Hi,

I'm going to assume here that you have a hard drive. Now what happens when you
    remove this hard drive from your console
    and use a secondary storage device like a USB Flash Drive (enough to store at least one game for this test
    that's been giving you this issue).

I suspect that if the console is restarting when it's attempting to download something, it's because of the hard drive, this also seems to be further confirmed by you stating that you can delete items and make the hard drive have less data so it doesn't keep
    doing this sort of thing. It's quite possible that you have a bad hard drive on your hand causing this trouble.

Doing the above can help us to see if this is in fact the case.
  7. HassanB Win User

Not a problem, my pleasure.
  8. Mister Ohnaka Win User

Hi ECereal. To avoid commandeering this thread, please go ahead and create a new one. We will be there to assist.
Thema:

1. Solution: Xbox 360 console stuck in restart loop after starting a download - Similar Threads - Solution 360 console

2. Is there a solution?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a solution?: The button on my Xbox One S was flashing after I had put it off(after I had factory reset it after previous issues) and is now not displaying on my TV. I have checked the HDMI cable and it is...
  3. Friends console got banned for something he didn't do, is the solution to stop supporting...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Friends console got banned for something he didn't do, is the solution to stop supporting...: What can be done about banned consoles? Nothing on why it was banned makes sense. The first 3 reports said it wasn't banned but the 4th said it was banned so what did they mess up with on their...
  4. Xbox one x stuck with newer de flight OS, solution?

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox one x stuck with newer de flight OS, solution?: Hi, My Xbox one X no longer wants to boot to mainscreen... Stuck on 26016.1002.amd64fre.rs_cbox_dev_flight.231211.2030, which is OS 10.0.26016.1002 Official one released now is...
  5. Is there a solution for error 102 without getting it repaired?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there a solution for error 102 without getting it repaired?: A few days ago my Xbox one s digital was being slow so I restarted it and after it was done the error 102 appeared, I tried factory reset, reset, restart and leaving it off for a while and took...
  6. Error code 0x87e00031 and can’t find solution anywhere

in XBoX on Windows
    Error code 0x87e00031 and can’t find solution anywhere: I have been trying to update Fortnite on my Xbox one for probably a month now all with no luck. Every single other game I have has had no issue at all updating. I do have an external storage I use...
  7. Is there a software solution that can verify if a disc works?

in XboX Insiders
    Is there a software solution that can verify if a disc works?: I purchased a used Xbox game for the original Xbox off of eBay. The game arrived today but it looks like it popped off the spindle in the case and scratched the read side. The scratches are not...
  8. Pls help me or someone got a solution

in XBoX on Consoles
    Pls help me or someone got a solution: Can you please help,my Xbox series x is not working and it turns off automatically and my tv gos to"No signal" 86010458-51f7-4c1d-9b75-51f1a714e97a
  9. Wired Headset Mics Not Working (tried all if not most solutions)

in XBoX on Consoles
    Wired Headset Mics Not Working (tried all if not most solutions): [XBOX ONE] My wired headset mic will not work, the Xbox picks up my voice on party overlay and text to speech but no one can hear me and I can’t hear people. I can hear everything else. I have:...
  10. How to register for a Free Retrofit solution for my 2 Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel I own?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How to register for a Free Retrofit solution for my 2 Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheel I own?: I own 2 Xbox 360 Wireless Racing Wheels which I just found out that Microsoft is informed about the malfunction and incident they can cause. It has been stated that any owner of such devices can...