Slow response from external hard drive when playing games

Discus and support Slow response from external hard drive when playing games in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; Hi, I've noticed recently that games that I've got installed to my external hard drive (Seagate STBV5000200 Expansion 5TB) sometimes respond slowly... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Mr Hairs, Apr 30, 2015.

1. Mr Hairs
    Mr Hairs Guest

Hi,

I've noticed recently that games that I've got installed to my external hard drive (Seagate STBV5000200 Expansion 5TB) sometimes respond slowly
    during play, and that this usually coincides with a 'whirring' noise coming from the hard drive itself, as well as the light on the hard drive going off and on briefly. This only ever happens when some sort of loading is taking place - whether it's a proper
    loading screen or, for instance, accessing the inventory in the Resident Evil remake - and the additional delay is usually around three or four seconds. Such occurrences never happen when playing games installed on the internal hard drive.

Is this normal, or is there a problem with my external hard drive?

:)

Mr Hairs, Apr 30, 2015
  2. WA Tiger
    WA Tiger Guest
    More than just a gaming console

Hi all, new to forum, need to ask about external hard drives. We have the slim 360 250gb model. Now say I am up to about level 5 in a game and I want to go to a mates place and he has the same game.

Will any external hard drive be able to be connected to the USB port on the back of my Xbox and the my profile or game level downloaded to the drive, then I can just take the drive to avmates place, plug in and play when he puts the game disk in. Will i still be on the same level and then when I return home, can I download the level I amat from my mates onto my hard drive.....

If so what external hard drive would be the best and if not what do you recommend.

Cheers

WA Tiger, Apr 30, 2015
  3. External hard drive problems

I was playing Xbox one evening and my console froze, so I restarted and tried playing again, most of my games were installed on my external hard drive. I tried playing every game I had on my external hard drive and none would start.

I completely reset my console and external hard drive, i installed games on my internal hard drive and they all work, but the games I installed on my external hard drive still do not work.

CanadianSnipper, Apr 30, 2015
  4. Obsessive Power Win User

Xbox Series X eternal hard drive

Hi,

If your game is now a Series X optimised title, it can no longer be played off an external hard drive. It must be moved to either the internal storage or an optional expansion card.

External USB hard drives are too slow to play Series X optimised games. None Series X games will still run from your external drive. The internal storage in the Series X is a fast NVME SSD. These drives are several times faster than mechanical hard drives.
  5. SwordofWhedon Win User

What do I do?

Any external storage that you’re using is too slow to play a series X or S game. The game must be on the internal storage that is exponentially faster in order to work. You can play games from previous generations from the hard drive, and use the hard drive for long-term storage
  6. Smwutches Win User

Unable to play games from an external hard drive?

It's only on the Series S/X that they can't be played on a regular hard drive. The hard drive is too slow to run the games properly. The One is fully capable of running all games from the internal or any external hard drive. The One wouldn't have been playing optimized games at the full S/X optimization due to hardware limitations.
  7. Zafen Win User

Xbox one runs initially slow after update...

I tried uninstalling a game and reinstalling it and it still ran slow the first 5 mins. When i unplugged the console it was only for a minute or two. I will try unplugging it for 5 or more minutes. Otherwise I don't have a external hard drive, but I may
    have to try a hard reset.

Thank you Kenh2k4 for the response!
  8. Obsessive Power Win User

External hard drive not working

Hi,

External hard drives are not fast enough for Xbox Series X|S titles. Unfortunately you can't play these games off slow USB external hard drives. They need either be installed internally or to an optional Xbox Series X|S Expansion card.
Thema:

1. Slow response from external hard drive when playing games - Similar Threads - Slow response external

2. Why is the xbox app so slow?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is the xbox app so slow?: I usually get 50 Megabits per second on everything else. But the Xbox app at max gets 700 Kibibytes. That is 5 Megabits per second. At this rate, my 113 GiB game will get done in a week. How is a...
  3. After updating game "finishing things up" slow with memory card

in XBoX on Consoles
    After updating game "finishing things up" slow with memory card: So I've just downloaded a bunch of game updates on my internal hard drive. Everything went super quick, but when I had updates for games that were downloaded to my Series X memory card the...
  4. Xbox One S being slow and laggy.

in XBoX on Windows
    Xbox One S being slow and laggy.: I have an Xbox One S (2 T), I bought it refurbished from GameStop about 2 years ago, although just 4 days ago any game I would play would be laggy and crash, and then ultimately the Xbox itself...
  5. When i join a Xbox party(on pc) the audio begins skipping, other process slow to a...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    When i join a Xbox party(on pc) the audio begins skipping, other process slow to a...: this just started happening after i updated to windows 11, was working fine yesterday on windows 10. 6ba469ab-12dd-42cf-8932-124bd21ecd38
  6. Slow download

in XBoX on Consoles
    Slow download: Why are downloading updates so slow when Internet connection is 400mb + 31026a73-8e97-4f3e-86ae-78c1849ce75c
  7. What can I do to fix slow/buggy system

in XBoX on Consoles
    What can I do to fix slow/buggy system: My xbox series s was having trouble with a game so I tried to reinstall it but it wouldn't install at all. I tried everything that was suggested but it just made everything worse. My xbox won't...
  8. Why is my xbox series s slow after factory reset?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my xbox series s slow after factory reset?: I recently did a factory reset on my xbox series s and after it was working perfectly fine but today when I turned on my xbox, the menu was slow. The game I loaded was fine and everything but when...
  9. my lenovo 4050 gaming laptop downloads pc xbox games slow, and i have 200 Mbps with...

in XBoX on Consoles
    my lenovo 4050 gaming laptop downloads pc xbox games slow, and i have 200 Mbps with...: my lenovo 4050 gaming laptop downloads pc xbox games slow, and i have 200 Mbps with Ethernet, any way to speed up downloads? ef9629da-cc41-4ce3-b364-d34ae574bd3c
  10. Hard drive slows down Xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Hard drive slows down Xbox: When hard drive is plugged in the Xbox runs slow and no games will load. I’ve formatted the drive and changed the wire. still no change . What can I do? c033bd53-b75a-4a3c-b7cc-510dabaa3f47