Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive

Discus and support Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; So i have a slim 250 gb 360 and a broken (disk tray) old 360. I want to trade in my slim and keep the old because the only game i really want to play... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by lKeima, Jul 24, 2014.

1. lKeima
    lKeima Guest

So i have a slim 250 gb 360 and a broken (disk tray) old 360. I want to trade in my slim and keep the old because the only game i really want to play is Tales of Vesperia which i have from games on demand.

So i made a 32 gb partition on my external hard drive and transferred Tales of Vesperia, Resident Evil 5 and Oblivion to the external along with my account.

on the slim:

The hard drive is working perfectly. The games run flawlessly and my account stuff is on there as well.

on the fat 360:

I plug in the external harddrive and it is not being recognized. The only option available is to configure now. But i already configured it. Its working fine on my slim. Keep in mind the broken 360 has no microsoft issued HDD and its devoid of all data.

How do i fix this? All i want is my broken 360 to use the external hard drive as its main HDD so i can play the games that i downloaded from games on demand.

:)

lKeima, Jul 24, 2014
  2. x24hrs2livex
    x24hrs2livex Guest
    external hdd to xbox 360?

You can use external HDDs with the 360. Only 32GB of the HDD will work, but you can still use them. And your slim drive is meant to be plugged into a slim not attached to a Pro console, so it will not work.

x24hrs2livex, Jul 24, 2014
  3. dlCHIEF58
    dlCHIEF58 Guest
    My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong?

If you are using this as an external storage (as the 500GB is not officially supported for the original fat 360 model), then the maximum allowed partition for any drive is 32GB. The cable is meant only for transferring files from an old hard drive to a new
    one, not for using as an external drive. External drive support on the 360 is limited to 2 devices of 32GB maximum on each device - any additional space on a hard drive or flash drive is wasted.

dlCHIEF58, Jul 24, 2014
  4. Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive

Hi, it's not advised to use an external hard drive, because you can get into problems with it later. It is advised however to use a xbox 360 configured USB flash drive upto a capacity of 32GB. Plus you can use 2 of them together if you wish. More info
    here about what storage you can use
    support.xbox.com/.../storage

StuartATrueRed, Jul 24, 2014
  5. x24hrs2livex Win User

external hdd to xbox 360?

You can use external HDDs with the 360. Only 32GB of the HDD will work, but you can still use them. And your slim drive is meant to be plugged into a slim not attached to a Pro console, so it will not work.
  6. StuartATrueRed Win User

Hi, it's not advised to use an external hard drive, because you can get into problems with it later. It is advised however to use a xbox 360 configured USB flash drive upto a capacity of 32GB. Plus you can use 2 of them together if you wish. More info
    here about what storage you can use
    support.xbox.com/.../storage
  7. Smwutches Win User

360 hard drive questions!

You can use an external hard drive with the 360, but currently you can only use up to 32gb of space for 360 storage. There is an update coming that will allow you to use more.

There are no official 60gb hard drives for the Slim. They only come in 250gb, 320gb, and 500gb. So it's hard to tell exactly how that hard drive is used in your Slim, but if it's in the slot on the bottom of the console you should be able to pull it out.
  8. dlCHIEF58 Win User

My 500GB HDD (not Slim) Reads Only 39GB After Format. What Am I Doing Wrong?

If you are using this as an external storage (as the 500GB is not officially supported for the original fat 360 model), then the maximum allowed partition for any drive is 32GB. The cable is meant only for transferring files from an old hard drive to a new
    one, not for using as an external drive. External drive support on the 360 is limited to 2 devices of 32GB maximum on each device - any additional space on a hard drive or flash drive is wasted.
  9. The Dukenator Win User

Using New Slim Drive with Old System

No. The slim hdd is internal for 360 S only. The original 360 had an external HDD.

Depending on the 360 S you get, it may include a hard drive. There's no way to use a hard drive transfer cable to access saves and such.

If you don't want to use a thumb drive, you could get a refurbished 360 HDD from Gamestop.

You didn't say which xbox you had. We're assuming you have the older 360 model with removable faceplate.
Thema:

1. Slim 360 and Broken 360: using external HDD as a 32gb hard drive - Similar Threads - Slim 360 Broken

2. Why is my Xbox 360 slim not connecting to my wifi?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Why is my Xbox 360 slim not connecting to my wifi?: I use Cox and this is what my settings are (i am using a 2.4 ghz network). WPA WPA2-PSK (TKIP/AES), And the mode is 802.11 g/n. I dont think the card is dead because it is still pulling info just...
  3. Xbox 360 Slim not connecting to internet

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 Slim not connecting to internet: My Xbox 360 Slim has never connected to my internet, I want to fix it. when I go to the network setup, it connects to the Wi-Fi router, but fails to connect to the internet in the second step. I...
  4. Can the xbox 360 play xbox classic games? If yes what 360 ( like: arcade, premium, slim))do...

in XBoX on Windows
    Can the xbox 360 play xbox classic games? If yes what 360 ( like: arcade, premium, slim))do...: (( sorry for my bad english)) I have read that you can play xbox classic games om any 360. But is it true? Because i want to play Need for speed underground 2 ect...
  5. My Xbox 360 Slim won’t Conner too internet and can’t update

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox 360 Slim won’t Conner too internet and can’t update: I’ve tried a few different internets and even my hotspot it will connect to the router but not too internet and then an error comes up saying to move my router closer and wired internet says the...
  6. The frozen 4gb xbox 360 slim

in XBoX on Consoles
    The frozen 4gb xbox 360 slim: Backstory: (2016-2018) I have an xbox 360 slim, the 4 gb version. I was second owner(first one had it from 2014-2016) the 4gb was enough storage at the time because it was barely used and I had...
  7. I have a xbox 360 slim and it has a parental code on it and I need the code for it

in XBoX on Windows
    I have a xbox 360 slim and it has a parental code on it and I need the code for it: I have a xbox 360 slim and it has a parental code on it and I need the code for it But I don’t know it 45046c69-2b6c-4dbe-a77f-36abfc2470ea
  8. Xbox 360 slim broken?!

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim broken?!: So my xbox 360 was working about an hour ago. It is a star wars edition if that makes a difference. It is a very hot day. About 100 degrees fahrenheit. The xbox was accidentally unplugged and when...
  9. How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I remove the broken update from my working xbox 360 slim 250 gig console?: Title says it all really, my much loved machine will not progress beyond the logo screen or recognize a controller either wired or wireless even with sinc buttons pressed. The console has been...
  10. Xbox 360 slim broken in a weird way, video freezes everything else works

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox 360 slim broken in a weird way, video freezes everything else works: Hi Guys, My xbox 360 is broken in a really weird way :(. When I turn it on, the video freezes on the loading xbox logo - but only the video. I can hear that it's booting correctly and I'm able to...