Sign in failure "The background task activation is spurious."

Discus and support Sign in failure "The background task activation is spurious." in XBoX Accessibility to solve the problem; Upon opening the Xbox app on my pc I went to sign in and was met with a message saying that Windows Hello wanted to access apps under a Gmail account I... Discussion in 'XBoX Accessibility' started by LegacyLight, May 31, 2023.

1. LegacyLight
    LegacyLight Guest

Upon opening the Xbox app on my pc I went to sign in and was met with a message saying that Windows Hello wanted to access apps under a Gmail account I do not use. Therefore, I closed it and there was another message saying I couldn't be signed into Xbox live at the time. From there I clicked switch accounts and chose the one I do use and the error code "The background task activation is spurious popped up". I have restarted my Pc, the Xbox app, and gone into settings and deleted the account I do not use as an option. None of this has worked and I would appreciate help.

:)

LegacyLight, May 31, 2023
  2. Rostom L Win User

Hi there! Sorry to hear about what happened. Let's do our best here to sort this out.

May I know your Windows version, is it Windows 10 or Windows 11?

Be sure to install the latest updates of your Windows and get all available updates from the Microsoft Store.
    Check for Windows updates - https://support.microsoft.com/windows/update-wi...
    Get updates from Microsoft Store - https://support.microsoft.com/account-billing/g...

If everything is updated, please try to repair & reset your Microsoft Store and Xbox app:
    Repair/Reset apps - https://support.microsoft.com/windows/repair-ap...

You could as well uninstall the Xbox app and restart your PC before installing it back.
  3. Lucas Lauer Win User

"The background task activation is spurious."

Hello, WesGamez42. Thanks for reaching out! My name is Lucas. I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft user just like you. I'll be happy to assist you today.

Please try the steps with the Microsoft store, the Xbox app and the Game Bar closed:

- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Microsoft Store > Advanced Options > Repair, then Reset.

- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Xbox App > Advanced Options > Repair, then Reset.

- Go to Start > Settings > Apps > Apps & features > Game Bar > Advanced Options > Repair, then Reset.

- Press Windows + R. Type TEMP and press enter. Delete all the files inside this folder. Repeat this step by typing %TEMP% and Prefetch. Delete everything on both folders too.

- Press Windows + R. Type WSRESET and press enter.

- Click on Start > Search for Credential manager > Windows credentials. Search for Xbl|DeviceKey, click on it and then Remove. Also, remove all the XblGrts and XboxLive credentials.

- Delete Accounts and Cache folders at:

%userprofile%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.XboxIdentityProvider_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\TokenBroker

- Restart your computer. Check your computer region/country and language and please make sure it is the same as your Microsoft account (https://account.microsoft.com/profile). Also check if your computer time zone and date/time is correct.

- Sign in on the Microsoft store with your Microsoft account. Open the Xbox App and sign in with the same account as the Microsoft store. Open the Game Bar and see if you are able to sign in.

Feel free to ask back any questions and please let me know how it goes.
  4. Geri M. Win User

Minecraft error "The background task activation is spurious"

Hi JOscarZ,

Welcome to Xbox Community Forums. We appreciate for sharing your concern with us and we hope that you are doing well today.

As we understand you are having issue with Minecraft Java edition. However, we have realized that this issue of yours would be dealt better by our Minecraft /Mojang support. They are more equipped with all the tools and resources to get your problem diagnosed. Kindly follow the steps below to contact live support team.

Please visit to this link : Submit Request – Home (minecraft.net) and submit a ticket.

You may also try to visit this link for more information. Minecraft: Java & Bedrock Edition for PC FAQ – Home, and How to Migrate Your Mojang Account to a Microsoft Account – Home (minecraft.net)

We hope this helps and it is even better to connect with the correct support where you can get dedicated assistance, the experts there will provide accurate answers for you.

If you have other concerns, you can create a new post here.

I wish you a good day!

Kind regards

Xbox Forum Moderator

Microsoft Community
  5. Rostom L Win User

"The Background Task Activation is spurious" **Minecraft Java Issues

Hi Cody! I'm Rostom, an Independent Advisor. I will be glad to help you here.

Does the issue happen to Minecraft: Bedrock Edition as well or just Java Edition?

Please try to reinstall your Minecraft Launcher. Uninstall it first, restart your PC and install it back again.
  6. JosefLBohorquez Win User

We couldn't sign you in to xbox live (The background task activation is spurious)

Hi and thanks for reaching Microsoft Xbox gamer's community. My name is Josef.
    I'm an Independent Advisor and a Microsoft Xbox user like you.

Hope you're doing great today despite this Dckrell

Is this happening on Windows 10 or 11?
    Please tell me which troubleshooting steps you have done so far to fix this, in that way I can advise you different things or how to proceed

In the meantime try this :

Press Windows button and type Services

On Services App from the list of results, press right-click and run it as administrator

Scroll to the bottom and find the following services:

IP Helper
    Xbox Live Auth Manager
    Xbox Live Game Save
    Xbox Live Networking Service
    Gaming Services

And do this with each of the services listed above:

Right-click over the service and select Properties.
    Find the Startup type section and make sure it’s set to Automatic (if not, change it to automatic)
    If the service isn’t started, click Start to start the services

Restart your PC and give it a new try

I'll be waiting for your answers, greetings
Thema:

1. Sign in failure "The background task activation is spurious." - Similar Threads - Sign failure background

2. why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in

in XBoX on Windows
    why does my account keeps sign out on its own when i try to log in: Why does everytime i try to log onto my xbox account on xbox.com and i put my password it says hang on a moment while we sign in and it wont let me sign in please im desperate i talked to support...
  3. "We can't sign you in because your account has been suspended from Xbox Live." Can anyone...

in XBoX on Windows
    "We can't sign you in because your account has been suspended from Xbox Live." Can anyone...: Hello I recently encountered this issue, whenever I try to sign into xbox or minecraft launcher it will bring up xbox live login and when i sign in with any account it will say "We can't sign you...
  4. as soon as i sign into my xbox and i go to settings it signs me out

in XBoX on Windows
    as soon as i sign into my xbox and i go to settings it signs me out: I just installed among us and it says I need to change my privacy & online safety settings but when i go to settings it signs me out of my account 74de54d4-330a-4420-b250-01a6d044ba36
  5. Can’t sign in to game pass on pc

in XboX Insiders
    Can’t sign in to game pass on pc: I just downloaded the game pass app and when I try to sign in it says “Sorry something went wrong. Try again in a while (0x89235107)” before I even get the chance to put my information in. I wait...
  6. Unable to Sign In to Microsoft Account to Redeem Xbox Game Pass Code

in XBoX on Windows
    Unable to Sign In to Microsoft Account to Redeem Xbox Game Pass Code: I'm experiencing difficulties signing in to my Microsoft account to redeem an Xbox Game Pass code. Whenever I try to log in, I encounter the message "You signed out of your account. It's a good...
  7. Xbox Accessories app sign in error 0x80004005

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Accessories app sign in error 0x80004005: Just downloaded the app to reconfigure my elite controller. It will not let me sign in. I am signed in on the Xbox app/MS store/Outlook, just the accessories app wont let me log in All apps are...
  8. I need help signing in minecraft on PlayStation

in XBoX Accessibility
    I need help signing in minecraft on PlayStation: I have gone on Minecraft then went to sign in Microsoft Account then scannedthe QR code and did my details then i verified and then its said you are safe the close this window.I go on my Ps4 then...
  9. When I try to sign in to the xbox 360 emulator it says that there’s no profile associated...

in XBoX on Windows
    When I try to sign in to the xbox 360 emulator it says that there’s no profile associated...: When I try to sign in to the xbox 360 emulator it says that there’s no profile associated with my email even though it has one I've tried everything and it still says it...
  10. How do I sign in with a Microsoft Account without it taking me to the xbox website?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I sign in with a Microsoft Account without it taking me to the xbox website?: I want to make a Microsoft account on my Playstation but every time I sign in it takes me to the xbox website. I don’t want that. So my question is, what do I do so I can play online with my...