Series X won't turn on, but has power to all USB ports

Discus and support Series X won't turn on, but has power to all USB ports in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; My Series X Console was having a weird issue where the controller wouldn't turn on the machine, but was fixed once the console was unplugged and... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by Chief Swan, Jun 13, 2023.

1. Chief Swan
    Chief Swan Guest

My Series X Console was having a weird issue where the controller wouldn't turn on the machine, but was fixed once the console was unplugged and plugged back in.

Fast forward ~1 week and the console now won't turn on at all. I've tried the unplug the console and wait 'x' minutes where x is anywhere from 10 mins to 1 hour with no luck. I've tried plugging the controller in and attempting to power on the console with it and still nothing. I've also tried unplugging all peripherals and powering on, plugging them all back in and powering on and nada.

I use an external storage drive and even that draws power and spins up, and I can't for the life of me think of what the problem could be?

It could also be entirely coincidental, but I've just purchased a pair of TB Steal 700 G2 MAX's, which use a USB dongle for low-latency audio and had plugged the dongle in prior to attempting to turn on the console - Unsure if there's some weird firmware thing that's caused the console to *nope* and get stuck.

I've also used a USB Voltmeter to test the output voltage to see if perhaps there is an issue with the internal supply and it reads 11.8, which whilst it is lower than the stated 12 seems negligible.

I'm keen to try and find a resolution (naturally) and not just a response of 'Raise a service order', because service order costs are staggering considering the cost of the console and think it would be good to actually find out what the problem is rather than dump it and get a refurb.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

:)

Chief Swan, Jun 13, 2023
  2. Chief Swan Win User

Hi there! This is Ronnie, an independent advisor.

Nice to meet you and I hope you are having a great day!

I understand you need help with your console issue.

Just a heads up that we only provide basic troubleshooting steps for the Xbox and if in any case that those will not work, your console would really need a service as it might already be having a hardware problem. But if the console is still in warranty, this will not cost anything to have it fixed.

Have you tried hooking it up to another wall outlet? Without using any power strip.

And also, have you tried removing the external storage and try turning it on without it?

You can also check some of the steps you can do for this problem here:
    https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

You can also try doing a manual reset and check if this will turn the console on:
    - Unplug the network cable if you're using a wired network connection.
    - Power off your console, and then unplug the power cord to ensure that the console is completely powered off.
    - Wait 30 seconds.

- Plug the power cord back in on another outlet.

- Press and hold the BIND button (the one to SYNC controllers) and the EJECT button, and then press the Xbox button on the console.
    - Continue holding the BIND and EJECT buttons for 10-15 seconds.
    - Listen for two “power-up” tones a couple of seconds apart.
    Note: If you don't hear two power-up tones after 15 seconds, it means this failed. Likewise, if you hear any “power-down” chirps, that also means this failed.
    - You can release the BIND and EJECT buttons after the second power-up tone.
    - The console should start and show the Troubleshooting screen
    - Choose "Reset this Xbox" and then "Keep games and apps".

If that does not turn on still, I would already suggest checking the console warranty and processing the service here:
    https://account.microsoft.com/devices/
    Hi Ronnie,

Thanks for your time - Sorry, should have mentioned that yes, I've tried different wall sockets and both with and without the external drive.

No such luck on the button combination - but appreciate your offered support.
  3. Ronnieee Win User

Hi there! This is Ronnie, an independent advisor.

Nice to meet you and I hope you are having a great day!

I understand you need help with your console issue.

Just a heads up that we only provide basic troubleshooting steps for the Xbox and if in any case that those will not work, your console would really need a service as it might already be having a hardware problem. But if the console is still in warranty, this will not cost anything to have it fixed.

Have you tried hooking it up to another wall outlet? Without using any power strip.

And also, have you tried removing the external storage and try turning it on without it?

You can also check some of the steps you can do for this problem here:

https://support.xbox.com/en-US/help/hardware-ne...

You can also try doing a manual reset and check if this will turn the console on:

- Unplug the network cable if you're using a wired network connection.

- Power off your console, and then unplug the power cord to ensure that the console is completely powered off.

- Wait 30 seconds.

- Plug the power cord back in on another outlet.

- Press and hold the BIND button (the one to SYNC controllers) and the EJECT button, and then press the Xbox button on the console.

- Continue holding the BIND and EJECT buttons for 10-15 seconds.

- Listen for two “power-up” tones a couple of seconds apart.

Note: If you don't hear two power-up tones after 15 seconds, it means this failed. Likewise, if you hear any “power-down” chirps, that also means this failed.

- You can release the BIND and EJECT buttons after the second power-up tone.

- The console should start and show the Troubleshooting screen

- Choose "Reset this Xbox" and then "Keep games and apps".

If that does not turn on still, I would already suggest checking the console warranty and processing the service here:

https://account.microsoft.com/devices/
  4. Paul Durand Win User

Did you ever find a solution. Typically when this happens to me I play the power cycle game of unplugging and plugging back in for about 20 minutes then it works. I’ve had to keep it on sleep mode and NOT turn it off. If I turn it off then it’s back to square one. Recently though even on sleep mode the system is turning itself off. Xbox wants 300 dollars to fix it. I’m like heck no. Feel like I’ll be with our a console soon. Dang shame too because it’s a day one console and it’s already going bad. Meanwhile my Nintendo 64 and PS2 still boot up without a problem.
  5. Ronnieee Win User

No problem at all. Sorry to hear about what happened with the console. Hope you are still in warranty so you can have it serviced.
  6. Kurtis Lloyd Win User

Xbox Series X Seagate 2TB SSD connection weak

There isn't enough power on the bus for the card and the external guessing platter HDD

You need to get a powered USB 3.0 hub, that comes with an external power brick
    This was the first time I've had issues with it. I set the system up when I had the original Xbox one around 2015 or 2016 and the USB port layout has stayed the same when I switched to the newer Xbox Series X. The only difference was the switch from a USB 2.0 hub to a 3.0 hub

Since the Xbox Series X has more up to date USB ports, I doubt it would be a lack of distributed power

USB Port Layout:

x1 - USB 3.0 HDD plugged directly into the port on the Series X

x1- USB 3.0 Hub 4-Port (Not independently powered by a power brick)

1. USB 3.0 SteelSeries Headset receiver
    2. Empty
    3. Empty
    4. USB 3.0 Seagate SSD
Thema:

1. Series X won't turn on, but has power to all USB ports - Similar Threads - Series won't turn

2. Xbox series s won't turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series s won't turn on: I replaced the power cord and power supply also the fan and still won't turn on 7234e759-6528-46c0-b8db-966648941b0b
  3. My Xbox series 2 controller won't charge or turn on yesterday it wasent charging and it...

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series 2 controller won't charge or turn on yesterday it wasent charging and it...: My Xbox series 2 controller won't charge or turn on yesterday it wasent charging and it died and not letting me turn it back on no matter how many cables I try wont even let me charge it again I...
  4. Series S froze on main menu and xbox won't stay turned off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series S froze on main menu and xbox won't stay turned off.: I have a 1 yr old Series S, it froze on the homescreen and none of the controller buttons do anything. I can turn it off with the power button on the Xbox but it randomly turns itself back on like...
  5. My elite series 2 controller won't charge or turn on even when plugged in

in XBoX on Consoles
    My elite series 2 controller won't charge or turn on even when plugged in: Noticed yesterday controller getting low on battery so I plugged it in this morning the controller is completely dead and won't charge 6348e174-872b-40c4-9344-0e26ef6af345
  6. Xbox Series X won't turn on, and the light on the xbox button on the console only stays on...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X won't turn on, and the light on the xbox button on the console only stays on...: When I try to turn my Xbox Series X on by pressing the power button, it plays the "power on" sound and the light goes on for around 1 - 1.5 minutes before turning back off. It was working before,...
  7. Xbox Series S won't stay on, it clicks then turns off.

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S won't stay on, it clicks then turns off.: Hi , so my Series S randomly stopped working. Every time I try to turn it on it'll light up for a second, make a click and turn off. My first thought was cable/powerstrip, so I tried it on it's on...
  8. My Xbox series S won't turn on.

in XBoX on Consoles
    My Xbox series S won't turn on.: It won't beep, the LED won't come on, nothing. I KNOW my power supply works because I used my Xbox 7 days ago and that's when it was having the flashing black screen issue (Which is still not...
  9. My launch Series X won't turn on

in XBoX on Consoles
    My launch Series X won't turn on: Pushing the power button causes it to turn on and beep for about 1 second, and then it immediately turns off. I've done all the trouble shooting to try and get this thing working again, but the...
  10. Xbox series X won't connect to tv and turns off after 30 seconds?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox series X won't connect to tv and turns off after 30 seconds?: My Xbox series X, that I've had without issue for a few months, won't connect to the tv anymore and it turns off after around 30 seconds. The fan doesn't seem to be spinning correctly either- it...