Series X: DIRT 5 and others? Missing some center channel audio in 5.1 and 7.1 mix

Discus and support Series X: DIRT 5 and others? Missing some center channel audio in 5.1 and 7.1 mix in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Sounds like others are experiencing this issue in DIRT 5 and AC Valhalla, where certain sounds aren't producing (announcer in DIRT 5) via center... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by DaveyHatton, Mar 23, 2021.

1. DaveyHatton
    DaveyHatton Guest

Series X: DIRT 5 and others? Missing some center channel audio in 5.1 and 7.1 mix

Sounds like others are experiencing this issue in DIRT 5 and AC Valhalla, where certain sounds aren't producing (announcer in DIRT 5) via center channel in the 5.1 and 7.1 uncompressed output. Are these game issues or are some folks NOT experiencing this (certain A/V setups?). I like the lag free uncompressed modes, but if it's going to be hit-and-miss as far as missing sounds go, I think I'd rather just stick with Digital DTS (least lag free of the bitstream bunch) since I have yet to experience any sound oddities with this output. Thanks in advance!

:)

DaveyHatton, Mar 23, 2021
  2. Jaymo1978 Win User

Can't Hear Voices In-Game

Can I ask how you are listening to your audio, Jack? I ask because, depending on the company, the audio is handled in different ways. For example, some companies use the Center Channel on surround sound signals to put out the voices, so if the center channel
    has gotten turned down (or if you've chosen the wrong output format in settings) then the game will be trying to play audio on a channel that you don't have hooked up. Say you're listening on a stereo set of headphones, or even just on your TV speakers. If
    you set the audio to 5.1 surround, you'll hear SOME audio, because the right and left channels will just be a mix of the different right and left surround channels. But since there is no center channel on a stereo setup, the system will send audio to that
    center channel, and your system won't be able to play it. (So, if the audio is directional, any time the voices should be coming from the center speaker, you wouldn't be able to hear them very well.)

You might try setting your audio to Stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1? It might not be the problem in your case, but it is a possibility worth checking!
  3. Magaman-8B232765-380 Win User

Need serious help with Audio settings please

The issue is your tv is unable to decode the 5.1 over HDMI. There are 5 channels of audio plus 1 channel for subwoofer they go in this order (Left, right, center, Surround Left, Surround Right). Since your TV is only stereo it's only playing channels 1 and
    2, left and right, and commentary is obviously on channel 3 center. Some TV can Downmix, where they take all 5 channels and mix them into 2 stereo channels.

What I would do is set the HDMI back to Stereo so you get the correct 2 channels of audio(the Xbox does the downmix) and then since you are using optical to your surround sound system, set optical to Bitstream and DD 5.1 or DTS is your system supports it.
  4. loonybin41 Win User

Low cut-scene dialog volume.

I figured it out! Audio settings for the Xbox and the TV/stereo/whatever you're getting sound through, need to be the same. If one is set on center channel, but you don't have a center channel speaker, it will sound muffled with low volume. If there is
    no center speaker, they both need to be on Stereo instead of 5.1 or 7.1 surround.
  5. OCRyzen Win User

VGA setup, with Astro Gaming A40's

Any Matrix does Encoding/Decoding, IceStorm III... As 5.1/7.1 Channels, are being encoded on to 2 channels for a Stereo Headset Playback, as it encodes discrete channels to simulate 5.1/7.1 channel Audio over 2 Speakers when decoding etc...
  6. GregS76 Win User

Xbox Dolby Digital support

Unbelievably, the xbox one currently does not support Dolby digital 5.1 or 7.1. There is a Beta setting for surround sound in settings but that doesn't work for me. I get no audio from my center channel. An update is supposedly coming. Thoroughly disappointed.
Thema:

1. Series X: DIRT 5 and others? Missing some center channel audio in 5.1 and 7.1 mix - Similar Threads - Series DIRT others

2. If i network transfer a game from my xbox one to my xbox series s will it stay there forever?

in XBoX on Consoles
    If i network transfer a game from my xbox one to my xbox series s will it stay there forever?: If i network transfer a game from my xbox one to my xbox series s will it stay there forever? 633f1604-25c1-4c0e-91b3-038884d6a47e
  3. Xbox Series S to Acer k272hl No signal and yellow light

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series S to Acer k272hl No signal and yellow light: I recently tried connecting my Xbox series S to a acer k272hl and every time I connect the cable it says NO SIGNAL, then the light goes yellow. Then it just repeats forever. I tried three...
  4. Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is there any possible way at all to use a usb mic on a series S?: Recently bought a Razer Blackshark v2 X usb mic for my Xbox. Didn’t realise it was usb until after I had bought it. I was wondering if there is any possibility at all that I can use it with my...
  5. Friends List on Xbox Series S never being properly up-to-date

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Friends List on Xbox Series S never being properly up-to-date: My friends list on my Series S is never properly up-to-date unless I do a console restart. Whenever I turn it on and see what my friends are doing, it'll say (for example: Playing Minecraft...
  6. MW3 XBOX series S, in game chat disabled

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    MW3 XBOX series S, in game chat disabled: Hello, Xbox series S, my in game chat for MW3 is not working (when the game loads, where the names normally pop up when someone is talking, its says (chat disabled), during pre-game in works,...
  7. Xbox series S|X console FPS

in XboX Insiders
    Xbox series S|X console FPS: Hello guys.. does anyone know how to display live FPS stats when gaming on xbox consoles? (if that's possible ofc) Thanks in advance submitted by /u/BillCipher96 [link] [comments]
  8. Are new Microsoft Series X console boxes supposed to look like this?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Are new Microsoft Series X console boxes supposed to look like this?: I had a Target order for a Series X that arrived last week. One of the pieces of security tape looked messed with a bit and had some finger prints under the tape, so I returned it for a new one...
  9. Launch Xbox Series X shutting off

in XBoX on Consoles
    Launch Xbox Series X shutting off: I have the launch Xbox series x , over the last few months the console will just randomly shut off during online game play. Doesn’t do in menus or on Home Screen, only when playing a game....
  10. Elite series 2 issues with sensitivity

in XboX Insiders
    Elite series 2 issues with sensitivity: For some reason my elite series 2 controller randomly has its inputs become sensitive. For example if I try to move over 1 app it moves over 2 or 3 if does this with the sticks and d pad. Parts of...