seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly

Discus and support seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I bought a 2tb external HDD a year ago, works flawlessly, issue is I originally had it formatted straight out of the box for my Xbox One. I consider... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by hailofbulletz, Dec 9, 2016.

1. seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly

I bought a 2tb external HDD a year ago, works flawlessly, issue is I originally had it formatted straight out of the box for my Xbox One. I consider myself to be rather techy but this one I cant seem to solve. The issue started when I helped a friend that
    had a very horrific windows 10 pc install and on his laptop and I did not have a large enough thumb drive handy for the fix, I ended up reformatting the external via my pc to do a full reinstall of windows to his pc with it. Windows 10 totally ruined all system
    recovery options by the time he got it to me plus a hidden virus he did not know he had helped it along. Long story short, after I fixed his desktop, I reformatted my external again and now the Xbox one only sees it as a media storage device instead of for
    games.Every time I tried the console format, it always either continued seeing It as a media storage or would say it was ready for games then install some games on it, but only the games from the internal were visible and playable....I have since gotten fed
    up and bought a 5tb for myself as I out grew the 2tb, but would like to use it on one of the other 2 Xbox ones in the house that belongs to the kids, which it did the same on those 2 consoles as well.

:)

hailofbulletz, Dec 9, 2016
  2. D43D4L14N X1
    D43D4L14N X1 Guest
    Please recommend a good 3.0 USB hard drive

I personally use, and recommend an USB 3.0 Seagate 2TB Expansion HDD for Xbox One, as external drive is powered by mains plug pack.

Laptop External HDDs powered by USB port, are thinner; but, are also slower than Desktop HDDs used in mains powered external drives.

People recommend Western Digital (WD) external HDDs: But, they tend to use Green drives that don't perform well, and tend to fail sooner etc.

D43D4L14N X1, Dec 9, 2016
  3. Hard Drive Error

The HDD should be usb 3 and larger than 250gb, I use a 2TB SEAGATE 3.0 usb, you can use larger than that I think 2tb is enough, hope this helps.

GrowlingYapper, Dec 9, 2016
  4. seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly

If I understand correctly, the new 5TB is working on the Xbox with no problems. Then, it would seems that the Xbox is still seeing something on the 2TB HDD it doesn't like (embedded virus etc.) even after the formatting. This maybe a situation where you
    have to completely reinitialize and repartition the HDD. It's something that can be done, but it will take some work and access to a PC to reestablish the integrity of the HDD. In short, most drive manufacturers provide software utilities to wipe, repartition
    and test their HDD. Check online at the manufacturer support page. You will most likely have to download an ISO and burn a CD, as this software need to run as a stand alone program. Then boot from the CD and follow the instruction to completely erase and reinitialize
    the HDD. However, to my knowledge none of these HDD software utilities support USB. So, you will have to remove the HDD from the external case and install it directly into the PC.

Warning, so that you don't accidentally erase your PC's system HDD make sure it is disconnected before booting from the CD.

Disclaimer: 1) Removing the HDD from its external case and performing these steps will most likely void any warranty 2) Because Microsoft is extremely careful about DRM, these is still a possibility that even after doing all this your 2TB HDD may not work
    with your Xbox again. But, if you can do it, it's worth a try. At a minimum, you should still be able to use your 2TB HDD as a backup device for your PC.

Good Luck seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly :)

greg_window10_installer, Dec 10, 2016
  5. greg_window10_instal Win User

If I understand correctly, the new 5TB is working on the Xbox with no problems. Then, it would seems that the Xbox is still seeing something on the 2TB HDD it doesn't like (embedded virus etc.) even after the formatting. This maybe a situation where you
    have to completely reinitialize and repartition the HDD. It's something that can be done, but it will take some work and access to a PC to reestablish the integrity of the HDD. In short, most drive manufacturers provide software utilities to wipe, repartition
    and test their HDD. Check online at the manufacturer support page. You will most likely have to download an ISO and burn a CD, as this software need to run as a stand alone program. Then boot from the CD and follow the instruction to completely erase and reinitialize
    the HDD. However, to my knowledge none of these HDD software utilities support USB. So, you will have to remove the HDD from the external case and install it directly into the PC.

Warning, so that you don't accidentally erase your PC's system HDD make sure it is disconnected before booting from the CD.

Disclaimer: 1) Removing the HDD from its external case and performing these steps will most likely void any warranty 2) Because Microsoft is extremely careful about DRM, these is still a possibility that even after doing all this your 2TB HDD may not work
    with your Xbox again. But, if you can do it, it's worth a try. At a minimum, you should still be able to use your 2TB HDD as a backup device for your PC.

Good Luck :)
  6. onyxishere Win User

xbox external problems :(

Sorry to hear that you're having these issues. Is the external drive that you purchased a USB 3.0 compatible drive? Which brand is it? Seagate drives are notorious for having issues like this.

As for the 2TB HDD that you have, if it is registering a lower amount of space than it should be perhaps it has been partitioned and is giving the console issues. Connect it to your pc and reformat it so the Xbox can recognize it better.
  7. MaximumExtreme Win User

Would this External Hard Drive Work

Any ext. hdd will work as long as it supports usb 3.0. I'm using a Seagate Backup Plus 2tb ext hdd and it works great!
  8. D43D4L14N X1 Win User

Please recommend a good 3.0 USB hard drive

I personally use, and recommend an USB 3.0 Seagate 2TB Expansion HDD for Xbox One, as external drive is powered by mains plug pack.

Laptop External HDDs powered by USB port, are thinner; but, are also slower than Desktop HDDs used in mains powered external drives.

People recommend Western Digital (WD) external HDDs: But, they tend to use Green drives that don't perform well, and tend to fail sooner etc.
  9. GrowlingYapper Win User

Hard Drive Error

The HDD should be usb 3 and larger than 250gb, I use a 2TB SEAGATE 3.0 usb, you can use larger than that I think 2tb is enough, hope this helps.
Thema:

1. seagate 2tb external usb 3.0 hdd won't reformat properly - Similar Threads - seagate 2tb external

2. My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?

in XBoX on Consoles
    My external 4TB seagate xbox hard drive wont work. What do i do?: My xbox series s says that i have to format it to NTFS, even tho i have done that multiple times. What do i do? 2a762762-4406-4854-b1ba-eb6144ea85ad
  3. I have a Seagate storage thing and when I install games it says I need to transfer them, is...

in XBoX Accessibility
    I have a Seagate storage thing and when I install games it says I need to transfer them, is...: when I plug my storage into the right hole in my xbox it claims I have 2.2 TB free but when I download a game on my storage it says that I have to put it on my internal storage. Is there a way to...
  4. Seagate Not Working

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate Not Working: I have a 4TB Seagate WD My Passport 2626 that I use to store my xbox games on. Today I decided to plug it into my computer because I am low on storage. I think I formatted it and now it only says...
  5. With respect to the Internal Storage of the Xbox Series X how long is Seagate going to have...

in XBoX on Consoles
    With respect to the Internal Storage of the Xbox Series X how long is Seagate going to have...: I have an 8TB Western Digital external HD for my Xbox One. You can play games directly from the HD. Yet on the Series X you cannot do this and instead an External HD is only capable of storing...
  6. XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working

in XBoX on Consoles
    XBOX Series X seagate external hard drive not working: When I connect my external to my Xbox, the lights come on but my games aren't popping up on my Xbox. When I tried plugging it up to my laptop, nothing came up either. The xbox isn't recognizing...
  7. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  8. Seagate 2tb usb expansion hard drive series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2tb usb expansion hard drive series s: I got given a seagate 2tb usb external hard drive and when I've tried to download flight sim on my series s it says it has to be in external storage or storage expansion card, after abit of...
  9. why can’t I play my games from my 2TB seagate drive? It says the game can’t be played from...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why can’t I play my games from my 2TB seagate drive? It says the game can’t be played from...: why do I have to buy another drive that only comes with 2tb for half the price of a damn Xbox series x??? If yall gonna force us to play off a storage drive at LEAST MAKE THE INTERNAL STORAGE MORE...
  10. Xbox Series X Seagate 2TB SSD connection weak

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Seagate 2TB SSD connection weak: Good morning, I was getting on the Xbox last night (Thursday, June 27th) and I thought everything was fine until I went to launch a game but it failed to launch. The same thing with every other...