Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One

Discus and support Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One in XBoX on Consoles to solve the problem; I recently bought a Seagate 2TB hard drive and plugged it into the xbox one. It tells me that it recognizes it as far a media device and prompted me to... Discussion in 'XBoX on Consoles' started by ABYISZ, May 18, 2015.

1. ABYISZ
    ABYISZ Guest

I recently bought a Seagate 2TB hard drive and plugged it into the xbox one. It tells me that it recognizes it as far a media device and prompted me to download the media viewer, but never pops up a "Format" option. I even went to the manage storage section
    of the settings, its there, but doesn't allow me to format it. As far as I know it IS compatible and others have been using it, but for whatever reason mine isn't allowing me.

I have tried some of the things I've read in the other parts of the forum like formatting it on my computer first, nothing. Changed the setting for the storage in power settings, nothing. I have rebooted the xbox a few times having plugged it in either with
    the xbox on and off, nothing. The only option I have not tried is the change of cords thing seeing as how the end that goes into the seagate is different the the usb end and I don't know where to find the same yet better cord.

I would like some help to remedy this as I am running out of space on the console and would rather not buy another hard drive.

:)

ABYISZ, May 18, 2015
  2. 4tb Seagate external hard drive

I bought a 2tb external hard drive last year and have had no problems but recently purchased a 4tb Seagate external hard drive due to insufficient storage for my games but the 4tb Seagate external hard drive is listed as media storage ie photos video's and
    documents I tried to format and rename it but can't get that option as I can with the 2tb external hard drive please let me know what I can do about this.

CleanupChimp659, May 18, 2015
  3. KrizanLovich
    KrizanLovich Guest
    Which external hard drive to use with Xbox 360 ?

as per the other comments about the use of the external hard drive for the 360 I am in the update preview program which allows additional External hard drives to be used.I purchased the same Seagate 2tb external hard drive as per my xboxone but when I apply
    the format on the xbox360 as per the instructions it replies with unable to format. Would like to know what external hard drives are compatible? I no the hard drive works as tried it on the xboxone after it would not format for the 360

thanks

NZ Racer

KrizanLovich, May 18, 2015
  4. Hordie
    Hordie Guest

Hi ABYISZ,

It would really help if you could provide us the model number of that storage device. If format isn't an option there is likely something that's not compatible with it, also check to
    make sure it's USB 3.0. See below to setup an external storage device.

When you connect a compatible external storage drive, Xbox One will prompt you to format the drive and walk you through setting it up to store games and apps.

The basic requirements for storing games and apps on an external drive are:

• Has capacity of 256 GB or more
    • Uses USB 3.0.
    Devices that don’t meet these requirements will be treated as media storage, such as for music or video. If you have a storage device that does meet these requirements for game and app storage, you can cancel the format to use it as a media device.

If your console doesn’t recognize your external drive, see Xbox One console doesn’t detect external storage.

If you cancel the format when you connect the storage device, you can still set it up as a storage device later. Here’s how:

1. Press the Menu button, select Settings, select System, then select Manage storage.
    2. Select your storage device, then select Format for games & apps.
    Link to setting up external storage

Hope this helps!

Hordie, May 18, 2015
  5. ABYISZ
    ABYISZ Guest
    It's a Seagate 2TB Expansion Hard drive, 3.0 usb. Model # SRD00F1

I know it works as others have been using it. For whatever reason mine isn't. And honestly the help section that was posted from xbox isn't a help at all, and is of course the first thing I tried.

ABYISZ, May 18, 2015
  6. You need a USB 3.0 A to micro B Cable they fit most 3.0 external hard drives you should find them in most electrical/computer stores I have seen them on Amazon.

GrowlingYapper, May 18, 2015
  7. Vodder
    Vodder Guest
    I had the same issue with my Seagate "USB 3.0" drive...tried everything you mentioned, I ended up buying another caddie from Amazon and putting the HDD in that, worked straight away! Can only think the chipset Seagate use isn't recognised by the Xbox as
    USB 3.0 or something.

Vodder, May 19, 2015
  8. ABYISZ
    ABYISZ Guest

Alright well, I caved and bought 2 new Usb 3.0 a to micro usb b cords and neither of them changed the prompt for the external hard drive. There is nothing wrong with the hard drive since its brand freaking new, and the cords are new.

I know that it is compatible because again, others have been using the same one. I have formatted it on my PC and it works fine on said PC (has been formatted after finding that out).

I would like some actual help for this because otherwise have wasted about $120 for a hard drive and cords, for more memory on a console that based off of each games memory install had no business having 500gb.

I spent a few months debating and figuring out which ones to possibly get and now that I have it doesn't give me the *** xbox reformat option.

If it helps in some way, my xbox is a day one. I want actual help from xbox or microsoft at this point, not speculation.

ABYISZ, Jun 2, 2015
  9. ABYISZ
    ABYISZ Guest
    So I chatted with an xbox support person and they basically ran me through all the same stuff we already knew of and tried. This person apparently deduced that fact that there's an issue with my console as far as the update goes what with it not excepting
    the hard drive at all. And redirected me to this "Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One" page to try this.

support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Gotta say kinda on the fence right now. I mean I am probably going to do it, because I don't wanna continuously uninstall and install games just for space because their software is ***. But, the fact that So much time, effort and money is being spent to
    solve this issue is absurd.

Xbox Update People: Put into effect a constant format option like on PC, not one that has to detect and only pops up or shows up when It wants to. Just make it a constant option like on the computer. Other than that, there just needs to be an update to remedy
    this kind of external hard drive problem across the board.

So since I don't have one around the house, now I'll have to go out and buy a 2gb flash drive and follow these "Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One" instructions and pray, pray something else doesn't go wrong, like god forbid, game file corruption
    or something. *knocks on wood*

ABYISZ, Oct 31, 2018
  10. GinaVallarella Win User

Error Code (0x80bd003b)

So I double checked the format and it is NTFS. And yes it is a seagate 2tb external xbox one hard drive, 3.0usb. So I am not sure why it will not let me use it for games. When the hard drive is a game drive.
  11. GrowlingYapper Win User

You need a USB 3.0 A to micro B Cable they fit most 3.0 external hard drives you should find them in most electrical/computer stores I have seen them on Amazon.
  12. ABYISZ Win User

So I chatted with an xbox support person and they basically ran me through all the same stuff we already knew of and tried. This person apparently deduced that fact that there's an issue with my console as far as the update goes what with it not excepting
    the hard drive at all. And redirected me to this "Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One" page to try this.

support.xbox.com/.../offline-system-update-diagnostic-tool

Gotta say kinda on the fence right now. I mean I am probably going to do it, because I don't wanna continuously uninstall and install games just for space because their software is ***. But, the fact that So much time, effort and money is being spent to
    solve this issue is absurd.

Xbox Update People: Put into effect a constant format option like on PC, not one that has to detect and only pops up or shows up when It wants to. Just make it a constant option like on the computer. Other than that, there just needs to be an update to remedy
    this kind of external hard drive problem across the board.

So since I don't have one around the house, now I'll have to go out and buy a 2gb flash drive and follow these "Offline System Update Diagnostic Tool on Xbox One" instructions and pray, pray something else doesn't go wrong, like god forbid, game file corruption
    or something. *knocks on wood*
  13. ABYISZ Win User

Alright well, I caved and bought 2 new Usb 3.0 a to micro usb b cords and neither of them changed the prompt for the external hard drive. There is nothing wrong with the hard drive since its brand freaking new, and the cords are new.

I know that it is compatible because again, others have been using the same one. I have formatted it on my PC and it works fine on said PC (has been formatted after finding that out).

I would like some actual help for this because otherwise have wasted about $120 for a hard drive and cords, for more memory on a console that based off of each games memory install had no business having 500gb.

I spent a few months debating and figuring out which ones to possibly get and now that I have it doesn't give me the *** xbox reformat option.

If it helps in some way, my xbox is a day one. I want actual help from xbox or microsoft at this point, not speculation.
  14. Vodder Win User

I had the same issue with my Seagate "USB 3.0" drive...tried everything you mentioned, I ended up buying another caddie from Amazon and putting the HDD in that, worked straight away! Can only think the chipset Seagate use isn't recognised by the Xbox as
    USB 3.0 or something.
Thema:

1. Seagate 2TB External Hard drive not giving a format option on Xbox One - Similar Threads - Seagate 2TB External

2. Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?

in XBoX on Consoles
    Is anyone else’s Seagate external drive not connecting after new Xbox update?: After the update to the Xbox console recently my external hard drive isn’t connecting to my Xbox anymore. I have the Xbox series x and a 5T external Seagate hard drive. Is it happening to others...
  3. How do I get my 8tb seagate game hub to allow me to play Xbox series s/x games?

in XBoX on Consoles
    How do I get my 8tb seagate game hub to allow me to play Xbox series s/x games?: So I recently bought a 8tb game hub for my Xbox series s to add storage, i formatted it and got everything working. But after I spent hours transferring things, it wouldn’t allow me to play my...
  4. Does the seagate storage expansion card improve textures/graphics for xbox series s games...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Does the seagate storage expansion card improve textures/graphics for xbox series s games...: Hi there, I'm wondering if the seagate storage expansion card improves textures/graphics for xbox series s games like Tekken 8? Or just for storage? a1ccb64c-11d6-4e0f-a50a-da7f08448f8a
  5. I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...

in XBoX on Consoles
    I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play...: I have an ssd Seagate Xbox 2TB Portable Gaming Hard Drive but it still doesn’t let me play games from my hardrive!? All I have read is that you can’t play x/a games on hdd but this one says it is...
  6. Series X wont detect Seagate expansion card anymore since last update

in XBoX on Consoles
    Series X wont detect Seagate expansion card anymore since last update: So, after last nights console update my series x doesnt detect the seagate expansion card anymore. This sucks. Anyone else with this issue? 79cd6954-eca6-4b71-830d-0d3eb21cb5b3
  7. My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up

in XBoX on Consoles
    My seagate hard drive for my Xbox not lighting up: My hard drive isn't lighting up, it was fine the other day and it stopped working how can I fix this issue ? My hard drive is only 2 years old it's in good condition I don't why it stopped working...
  8. Seagate 2tb usb expansion hard drive series s

in XBoX on Consoles
    Seagate 2tb usb expansion hard drive series s: I got given a seagate 2tb usb external hard drive and when I've tried to download flight sim on my series s it says it has to be in external storage or storage expansion card, after abit of...
  9. why can’t I play my games from my 2TB seagate drive? It says the game can’t be played from...

in XBoX on Consoles
    why can’t I play my games from my 2TB seagate drive? It says the game can’t be played from...: why do I have to buy another drive that only comes with 2tb for half the price of a damn Xbox series x??? If yall gonna force us to play off a storage drive at LEAST MAKE THE INTERNAL STORAGE MORE...
  10. Xbox Series X Seagate 2TB SSD connection weak

in XBoX on Consoles
    Xbox Series X Seagate 2TB SSD connection weak: Good morning, I was getting on the Xbox last night (Thursday, June 27th) and I thought everything was fine until I went to launch a game but it failed to launch. The same thing with every other...