Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode

Discus and support Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode in XBoX Games and Apps to solve the problem; Description I am running a few video games such as Minecraft, osu! and Euro Truck Simulator 2, in fullscreen mode. When I take a screenshot with the... Discussion in 'XBoX Games and Apps' started by Cathay3520, Jul 28, 2023.

1. Cathay3520
    Cathay3520 Guest

Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode

Description

I am running a few video games such as Minecraft, osu! and Euro Truck Simulator 2, in fullscreen mode. When I take a screenshot with the "Print screen" or "Windows key + Shift + S" button(s) on the keyboard, the screenshot output is the screen at the time when I enter fullscreen, not the moment I capture the screen.

I intend that fullscreen screenshots work the same as windowed mode screenshots.

Hardware & Software

Hardware

CPU: Intel Core i5-9400F

RAM: DDR3 16GB

GPU: MSI GTX 1050-Ti

Storage: 1TB SATA SSD & 500GB HDD

All of the above hardware are not heavily or fully loaded

Software

Windows 10 Home 22H2

Steps to reproduce

1. Open any applications with fullscreen function available.
    2. After the application has opened, enter fullscreen in whatever way you please, or if it is already in fullscreen by default, just skip this step.
    3. Take a screenshot by pressing "Print screen" or "Windows key + Shift + S". Your screenshot should be copied and can be pasted using Ctrl + V.
    4. Paste the screenshot by Ctrl + V and you will see the screenshot being the moment when you enter fullscreen, not when you press the Print screen button.
      (Let's say you enter fullscreen at time T seconds, and you press the "Print screen" or "Windows key + Shift + S" button at T+5 seconds. The result is the screen at T seconds, not T+5 which is supposed to be the correct moment.)
      * You may get a completely black screenshot because as you enter fullscreen, the screen will become black for a very short while.

Screenshots

I used Minecraft as an example.

Fullscreen

Here's what I should get:

Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode [​IMG]

Here's what I got:

Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode [​IMG]

Windowed mode (Control)

Here's what I should get:

Here's what I got:

:)

Cathay3520, Jul 28, 2023
  2. Cathay3520 Win User

I might have reported this in the wrong category... Since this doesn't just happen to Minecraft. Maybe I will create an issue about this in another category. Thanks for your reply anyways!
  3. Cathay3520 Win User

I think you got my idea wrong, and maybe I was not explaining well either.

It is not that the game pauses when I take a fullscreen screenshot. In fact, the game does not necessarily need to be paused for this Windows bug to happen. (I believe this is a Windows problem instead of a game's problem)

Let me draw a timeline for you:

[​IMG]

It is basically that when I press PrtSc or Win + Shift + S, the screenshot only shows the moment I enter fullscreen, not when I press the screenshot button.
  4. CarTzy Win User

Hello Cathay3520,

Thank you for posting in Microsoft Community.

I can see that you are having issues taking screenshots wherein the game pauses when you take it on full screen mode. Please see the guide below to take screenshot.

• Press F2 while in game to take a screenshot.
    • Press Fn + F2 keys together to capture your Minecraft creations.
    • Remove the HUD and enter fullscreen mode before taking a screenshot. To do this, press F1 to remove the HUD and F11 to enter fullscreen mode.
    • Press Win + Print to take a screenshot in fullscreen mode.
    • Open the Windows game bar by holding the Windows button and G simultaneously, then select the camera icon to take a screenshot. Or hold the Windows button, Alt and Prtscn together to take a screenshot straightaway.
    Please see: Screenshotting Guide | Minecraft

We're looking forward to hearing from you. If there are any inquiries about our description or if there are any misconceptions, do reply to the post.
  5. CarTzy Win User

6. Farscape247 Win User

xbox game bar captured video doesn't show application's icon

the logo might be an overlay from the program, the xbox gamebar will only capture the window or fullscreen application. it does not capture overlays all the time.
Thema:

1. Screenshot for applications in fullscreen does not work the same as in windowed mode - Similar Threads - Screenshot applications fullscreen

2. Almost all of my game clips and screenshots are gone what happened? Can I get them back...

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Almost all of my game clips and screenshots are gone what happened? Can I get them back...: I was looking through my profile and then I saw that almost half of my game clips and screenshots are gone I'm wondering what happened and can I get them back cuz I never deleted them...
  3. Nearly all of my game clips and screenshots are gone what happen and can I get them back...

in XBoX on Consoles
    Nearly all of my game clips and screenshots are gone what happen and can I get them back...: Nearly all of my game clips and screenshots are gone what happen? Can I get them recovered PLEASEEE? 3821a926-74a9-46e1-bb9c-64580343c288
  4. Can you swap the screenshare button to "Hold" for screenshot and press for game clip?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Can you swap the screenshare button to "Hold" for screenshot and press for game clip?: I prefer to press the screenshare button for game clips and would like for "hold" to take a screen shot. Is this at all possible? I tried EVERYTHING!!! a8b09abe-705b-4223-b233-7ba7d9ecd0c1
  5. Anyone know why are these screenshot getting removed from the Xbox network? They're only a...

in XBoX on Windows
    Anyone know why are these screenshot getting removed from the Xbox network? They're only a...: So I went onto the xbox app to download some screenshot and noticed an alert symbol next to 2 of the images and it says it will be deleted from the Xbox Network today and I don't know why. I took...
  6. Where do you go to see clips/screenshots you’ve liked?

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    Where do you go to see clips/screenshots you’ve liked?: Me and my friends were playing sea of thieves a while back and we collected alot of stuff and we had a bideo and i liked/favorited it but now i cant find it 4ac7e23a-84d0-4c79-87c4-f917163bbcd3
  7. how do i view my xbox screenshots and captures on my pc? the option for captures doesnt...

in XBoX on Windows
    how do i view my xbox screenshots and captures on my pc? the option for captures doesnt...: xbox captures option doesnt exist in the pc app. 1fff2b33-520d-445d-828e-8f29333b102a
  8. Transfer game clips/ screenshots to usb

in XboX Insiders
    Transfer game clips/ screenshots to usb: How much storage space do I need on my usb stick for let's say 500 screenshots? And if you have any recommendations for a usb stick I would greatly appreciate it. submitted by /u/BernieTheLama...
  9. Re uploading Screenshot to my xbox

in XBoX on Consoles
    Re uploading Screenshot to my xbox: So I uploaded my screenshots to my one drive now I would like them back on my xbox is there any way for getting them back on 52da9a02-b9b3-40eb-b2cf-ec3f23661ba6
  10. My Xbox One S can't capture clips or recordings but takes screenshots

in XBoX Rewards & Social
    My Xbox One S can't capture clips or recordings but takes screenshots: When I press to record what happened, or try to start a recording nothing happens. The guide just closes doesn’t record a clip or even say that it did. It doesn't even show in my internal storage,...